Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu Waterfront Stockholm location question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Waterfront Stockholm location question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

There are no “no-go zones” in public for the Swedish police or for me in Sweden.

I find that the worst neighborhoods in Stockholm and Malmo (the other bete noir of wingnuts) are safer than the US capital city and large stretches of urban Florida, Houston, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, etc.

Stockholm is a safer city on average than most US cities (and even most European cities) of the same size or so. Anyone who avoids this hotel in Stockholm because of concerns about terrorism or crime — “immigrant crime” or otherwise — should probably not get in a car and certainly not drive even in their own country.
No need to avoid, just don’t be less vigilant than anywhere else. Just some friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.

/BTR

Last edited by ibguestaccount; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Bizarre!
Yeah, very bizarre indeed!

/BTR
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BoomtownRat

No need to avoid, just don’t be less vigilant than anywhere else. Just some friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.

/BTR
Getting shot at by gun in Stockholm is far less likely than getting shot at by gun in most any US city of comparable size (or most any US city even half as populated). I have to be way more vigilant in US cities and even smaller towns than in Stockholm, as Stockholm is so much more of a safer city than large US cities. Be vigilant around Stockholm if considering to stay at this hotel because of some concern of terrorism? Sounds like overkill, especially as Stockholm is far safer than most US cities no matter the risk mentioned in this thread so far.

Have you posted about your concerns in the Sheraton Stockholm thread given who uses it?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:57 pm

Getting shot at by gun in Stockholm is far less likely than getting shot at by gun in most any US city of comparable size (or most any US city even half as populated). I have to be way more vigilant in US cities and even smaller towns than in Stockholm, as Stockholm is so much more of a safer city than large US cities. Be vigilant around Stockholm if considering to stay at this hotel because of some concern of terrorism? Sounds like overkill, especially as Stockholm is far safer than most US cities no matter the risk mentioned in this thread so far.

Have you posted about your concerns in the Sheraton Stockholm thread given who uses it?
I’m neither comparing Stockholm to cities in the US in particular nor referring to particular crimes. There are other crimes than gun violence to consider aswell. I’m factually stating that no areas in Stockholm are “perfectly safe” (as one commenter in fact stated), and some areas are in fact far from it, and I provide factual reasons why. These are facts, just as it is a fact that parts of many cities in the US also of course are to be considered unsafe in no uncertain terms.

I suspect you couldn’t swallow my reference to immigrant crime issues as the reason for trying to debunk my comment and attempting to ridicule me, but I’m not particularly surprised that out of political correctness some might want to go after the messenger rather than discussing facts. This concludes my contribution to this thread.

/BTR

Last edited by ibguestaccount; Mar 27, 2018 at 2:37 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
You stated there are "no-go zones" in Stockholm, which is outright lie, hence the reactions.
By "perfectly safe" I of course didn't mean that no crime ever happens there (and I think everyone understood that) but that it is much more safer than average and that chance of crime is extremely low.
​​​​​​This is not about "political correctness" (whatever that's supposed to mean) or swallowing your references. This is about you lying.

​​
​​​​
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by the810
By "perfectly safe" I of course didn't mean that no crime ever happens there (and I think everyone understood that) but that it is much more safer than average and that chance of crime is extremely low.
​​​​
That's decidedly inaccurate and I think it's very reasonable to counter that claim, which was why I had to correct your statement. You should never assume that "everyone" perceive information you provide, in a way that only exists in your own mind. It is downright wrong that downtown Stockholm or any other area is "perfectly safe", hence my warning towards a more realistic situation.

Originally Posted by the810
You stated there are "no-go zones" in Stockholm, which is outright lie, hence the reactions. ​​​​​​This is not about "political correctness" (whatever that's supposed to mean) or swallowing your references. This is about you lying
​​​​
What's your definition of a no-go zone? (this is for yourself to ponder about elsewhere, as I have no intentions to engage in further debate).

/BTR

Last edited by ibguestaccount; Mar 27, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: Various

In the real world, as you well know (when political correctness doesn’t get the better of you), there is no such thing as a “perfectly safe area” in a big city. Swedish society has for everyones information developed some particularly nasty issues lately when it comes to crime. This is fact, not fiction. I’ll mind my words if you mind yours.

/BTR
This is a favourite of the alt-right.

Where do you live? Do you think it compares favourably to Stockholm when it comes to crime and security?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:25 am
Suspended

I’m neither comparing Stockholm to cities in the US in particular nor referring to particular crimes. There are other crimes than gun violence to consider aswell. I’m factually stating that no areas in Stockholm are “perfectly safe” (as one commenter in fact stated), and some areas are in fact far from it, and I provide factual reasons why. These are facts, just as it is a fact that parts of many cities in the US also of course are to be considered unsafe in no uncertain terms.

I suspect you couldn’t swallow my reference to immigrant crime issues as the reason for trying to debunk my comment and attempting to ridicule me, but I’m not particularly surprised that out of political correctness some might want to go after the messenger rather than discussing facts. This concludes my contribution to this thread.

/BTR

Your posts in this thread have supplied no references as far as I have read so far, and reading is fundamental. If I had to bet on who came into this thread knowing about Swedish Brå statistics and has a greater understanding of those facts and comparative facts for a country such as the US, I would bet on myself.

Stockholm is “perfectly safe” when compared to most other cities of its population size in the rich country club, including that of the US. If someone considers visiting DC or Vegas or driving in their car a lot in the US to be ok, then Stockholm is “perfectly safe”. That doesn’t mean there’s no crime, as crime exists just about everywhere in the world — including in the very rural backwoods of the American country-/mountain-side and even in the richest neighborhoods in the US, Canada, Israel, Russia, Hungary, Switzerland, Japan, etc.

As a matter of fact, the most unsafe thing for me about the Radisson Blu Waterfront hotel, its neighborhood and city — where I am at least a few times each month and around which I wander around alone (even at 1-5am at times) — as of late has been the danger of walking with new shoes with poor traction and then “running scared” ....... of missing my transport. Not “running scared” of criminals there.

Are there some questionable characters in ____? Yes, but that’s just about everywhere in the world.

My suggestion to the OP: the Radisson Blu Waterfront is the way to go, as the Downtown Camper stay is more subject to a construction zone-related disturbance aspect and in a more “dead” area at night especially.

.... and speaking of the dead, the rate of homicide per capita in Sweden was lower in 2017 than in 2007; and the Swedish homicide rate is far, far lower than the US rate.

And for what’s it worth or not, I find that the Stockholm Central Station and area immediately around it is better looking now and more active than it was say 4-15 years ago.

the810 and desafinado74 like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 27, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
What a bizzare thread. I've walked in the area last year and felt as safe as anywhere else in the world.

To the point, I will be staying for two weeks at Waterfront in the near future.
Does anyone have any recent updates about the hotel and their treatment of elites?

Tips for places to eat and drink in the vicinity are also appreciated, particularly given that Stockholm is one of the few places where going out is more expensive than I'm already used to.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have stayed at the Waterfront hotel quite a few times including earlier this year. Never had any upgrade from them but am only a Gold with Radisson. It's frustrating that breakfast isn't complementary as well - but, that said, the hotel continues to be clean, well run, with great views if you're prepared to pay for the "view' rooms.

I had a very nice Tapas evening at Caliente Tapas on Fleminggatan which is only about 10 mins walk from the hotel. For some reason that restaurant only gets 3.9 / 5 on reviews but for me and my colleague it was great.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
What a bizzare thread. I've walked in the area last year and felt as safe as anywhere else in the world.

To the point, I will be staying for two weeks at Waterfront in the near future.
Does anyone have any recent updates about the hotel and their treatment of elites?

Tips for places to eat and drink in the vicinity are also appreciated, particularly given that Stockholm is one of the few places where going out is more expensive than I'm already used to.
When the hotel first opened, it was ok about upgrading me even on the cheap friends and family rate. In the more recent years since, it’s mostly been more akin to “you are your rate this time”. No great reason to avoid the property if paying for breakfast isn’t an issue/relevant on the stay, but just no great reason for me to pick it either.

About places to eat and drink, what kind of places are you looking to for eating and drinking, what kind of budget range per meal type, and how long of a walk from the hotel is acceptable?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
When the hotel first opened, it was ok about upgrading me even on the cheap friends and family rate. In the more recent years since, it’s mostly been more akin to “you are your rate this time”. No great reason to avoid the property if paying for breakfast isn’t an issue/relevant on the stay, but just no great reason for me to pick it either.

About places to eat and drink, what kind of places are you looking to for eating and drinking, what kind of budget range per meal type, and how long of a walk from the hotel is acceptable?
I've already had my stay, quite comfortable two weeks. I've been upgraded to a high-floor lake view room, quite nice. I had to pay for breakfast, but that worked out in my favor as I could expense it and 10 odd breakfasts meant a decent extra number of points.

re. places to eat and drink, I'd usually try and stay around 50 EUR max mark for dinner, looking back at my expenses I mostly stayed at around 40.
Some decent options on the street under Royal Viking hotel, I prefered the Bishops Arms for a beer, but Laughing Duck a slightly better selection for food. Vapiano was a pleasant surprise. Slightly further but still walking distance, La Neta was good.
And I can definitely recommend venturing outside the walking distance to The South Indian at Rådmansgatan if you like Indian food and want something other than the usual Punjabi/European fare, and also Bar Agrikultur was a marvelous experience in Södermalm.

Not to be missed, especially in the summer if weather's nice, sunset at Skinnarviksberget
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.