Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cassa Hotel - New York City (no longer Radisson)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

The Cassa Hotel NY 4th Street has joined Club Carlson as a possible Radisson hotel?

https://www.radisson.com/new-york-ho...-10036/usaneny

This looks like a great addition to Club Carlson - great location and great reviews!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
When researching this hotel, you will notice there are TWO Cassa hotels in NYC. The Times Square one (515 9th Ave.) gets VERY bad reviews on TA. The one joining CC (70 W 45th) looks nice and gets good reviews. This hotel appears to have previously been managed by the Viceroy Hotel group. In the end I think the fact that there are two Cassa hotels will create some confusion.

Just booked two nights award reservation for first week in December as we always go to NYC then. Figured I needed to grab before they started limiting award inventory.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 20, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by christianj
When researching this hotel, you will notice there are TWO Cassa hotels in NYC. The Times Square one (515 9th Ave.) gets VERY bad reviews on TA. The one joining CC (70 W 45th) looks nice and gets good reviews. This hotel appears to have previously been managed by the Viceroy Hotel group. In the end I think the fact that there are two Cassa hotels will create some confusion.

Just booked two nights award reservation for first week in December as we always go to NYC then. Figured I needed to grab before they started limiting award inventory.
I'm thinking about booking a couple nights the second week in December. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on your stay!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:45 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
I have a last minute night this weekend booked on points at the 45th street property. Anyone stayed there yet? If not, I will try to take pictures and post my review for others.
I have the club carlson Visa that gives me some sort of status, so will see if that does anything with this property (when we stay at the Martinique we get free drink coupons and breakfast too).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:41 am

Staying this weekend on an award stay as well. Will be interesting to see the differences (or similarities) in our opinions on the hotel. I recently had a weekend stay at The London NYC which just joined Hilton Honors and another forum member stayed there as well on the same days. Both of us were the first to stay in the hotel since it joined HH and our experiences were very different. I liked it and she wasn't as excited.

FYI, Breakfast is not a benefit of the two status levels you can get with the various CC credit cards. You only get breakfast as an amenity if you are a Concierge level elite. So I would write the free breakfast you got at the Martinique off as a fluke and not expect it at the Cassa. If they give it to you it will be a bonus.
LHG likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:59 am

Just some quick comments after a nice 2 night award stay this weekend:
- Very good location
- Super nice staff
- Very small lobby so if your room is not ready you won't be able to sit around and wait easily
- 2 elevators but overall I was surprised that we never waited very long for them
- Nicely furnished room. We were given a room on the 21st floor (2108 which is as far away from the elevator you can get). The room is not large but for a couple of nights it works! Our room had a king bed and a desk area. Storage was IMHO very limited since the closet was tiny. The closet was so tiny that the safe was actually under the nightstand on one side of the bed. Decent bedding with a light duvet and 4 feather pillows. This might be important to some, the rooms curtains did a decent job keeping out light so you can sleep in and overall I felt that the room was quiet and seemed well insulated from noise which isn't a given in most large new build hotels anymore.
- Bath was surprisingly large with a very nice shower that had great pressure. Bath amenities were a brand I had never seen before but they smelled great and were provided in a dispenser pump...so don't plan on taking them home. Lighting in the bathroom was good.

As a CC Gold member, I don't think we got any type of upgrade for this award stay. (if we did it was difficult to tell what the upgrade was but then again it's not a benefit you typically get as a Gold member) We did NOT try to eat in the hotel but I think this might be an issue for people that are big on eating breakfast. There is a restaurant that is on the lower floor of the hotel called Butter but when I looked it up online there was no mention of it being open for breakfast...other than brunch on Sunday. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner but it just seemed odd to not have a breakfast alternative in a hotel. I want to be clear that we did NOT ASK if there was a breakfast option offered in the hotel but this is my assumption based on what we saw. There are several easy quick breakfast options just a couple of steps from the hotel. (a Starbucks and a Pret A Mange plus the Sofitel virtually next door offers a great (but expensive) breakfast as an option.

In summation, I liked the hotel and am thankful that there is a CC redemption option in the city and not just the Martinique! I've never stayed at the Martinique but I haven't heard good things about it and I like this hotels location better. The staff was very nice and they granted us a 2 hour late checkout when I asked about it. The rooms are small but I would say that the hotel has a layout similar to most new developed hotels in the city. The room size reminds me of those comparable to newer hotels I have stayed in from other chains like Hyatt (Hyatt Herald Square and Hyatt Place Midtown) and Starwood (Sheraton Tribeca and the 4 Pts. Midtown Times Square). Overall a nice and welcome addition to Club Carlson and one that I think will be great alternative to the Martinique!

I realized that I somehow didn't get a picture of the bed and nightstand area but here are the pics I did get of the room:

the810 and Namaste1 like this.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:09 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:39 pm
LHG

I too, stayed at the Hotel Cassa last weekend albeit for one night. As a club carlson gold elite member (simply from holding their credit card), I was told I had been "upgraded" to a King room on the 21st floor (Room 2107, so was next door to you christianj). When I arrived there was a welcome fruit basket and 2 complimentary water bottles. (please note they sell these same bottles of water for $4 each by the bed).
The hotel has permanent housing above it and a separate desk for the people that live here fulltime.
I was told there is a breakfast buffet in the restaurant (maybe $25?) but also that there are many options steps away from the hotel.
I, too, did not try to eat in the restaurant Butter.
My room was comfortable and quiet.
Bathrobes and slippers are provided. There is an empty fridge in the room. The closet held an umbrella and a safe.
The shower had nice pressure. There is a hairdryer and shower cap, but no amenities like q-tips, nail files, cotton balls etc. Nor is there a make up mirror.
I was proactively offered a late check out (when I checked in) which I accepted.
My biggest complaint of the stay was that when I came back to my room at 12:30, I was locked out of my room. I had to ride the elevator back down and wait for about 15 minutes behind a long line of people checking out (many of whom had various complaints about different things and were being given $50 off of their final bills for these incidents). One of the friendly desk people had to ride back up with me and use his key to let me in my room to finish packing to leave. He said this had been a problem the prior week and he had thought it fixed. Hopefully it will be now.
WIfi was on and off during my stay as well.
I would be happy to give them a try again. Here are my photos:
Namaste1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by LHG
I too, stayed at the Hotel Cassa last weekend albeit for one night. As a club carlson gold elite member (simply from holding their credit card), I was told I had been "upgraded" to a King room on the 21st floor (Room 2107, so was next door to you christianj).

My room was comfortable and quiet.
I'm such a good neighbor! Thanks that you were not loud as well!

I got the same amenities you got (fruit basked with lollipops and 2 bottles of water). I did not have issues with the key as they rekeyed it for us the morning of the departure when I asked for the late check out.

Looks like overall we agree.....good Club Carlson alternative for short stay in the city! Since I have never stayed at the Martinique I would be interested to hear your thoughts on which hotel is better/nicer.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Great location in Midtown this one, and thanks for the pictures Looks like the rooms are very soulless, but clean and fair enough for some stays where you are not spending time inside the hotel.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:04 am
LHG

I have stayed at the Martinique 4-5 times over the last few years. The rooms have varied from extremely tiny to spacious and elegant. The wait for elevators can be long.
The last couple of times have gone down hill in the general service and friendliness but we were always given free breakfast coupons for the buffet in the AM, as well as a couple of free drinks (well or house wine/beer) at the bar, which is a nice gesture. The welcome amenity is a box of chocolates usually.
There are always parties of airline crews checking in and out day and night there.
The location is only a few blocks south of the Hotel Cassa. Both have their virtues but, I have only the one stay at the Cassa to compare my multiple stays at the Martinique. I hear the Martinique has been bought by another hotel chain and will be leaving CC sometime around July 2018. So, I guess the comparison is really a moot point.
The points redemption is the same.
I did notice a sichuan noodles place a few doors away from the Hotel Cassa that looked interesting and that I would like to try next time.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Any experiences from this hotel this year? I'm staying there next week as a Gold member.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stayed there last month. The room is small but clean and nicer than the Radisson Martique, but overall the hotel feels old and dated. The room is somewhat recently renovated but the mattress is either cheap or old because it basically sank in the middle and was uncomfortable. I personally don’t care for the Times Square location but it’s convenient if you’re a tourist. I received no gold recognition. I was denied guaranteed late check out and there was no amenity or free water waiting in the room. I actually inquired at the front desk if they did not see my gold status but they remarked they did and that I could just drink the water that had the 4.50 price tags on it. I confirmed at check out once again that I would not be charged for the water. Of course I looked at my credit card statement and there’s the charge a few days later. I would not pay to stay here as there are many better hotels in NYC but for a one night points stay it was fine.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
This hotel has some crazy pricing.... it is coming up at $546 a night for September.... would be a good use of 50,000 points a night as we want to be in Times Square and I want to burn through the last of my Radisson points.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Any experiences from this hotel this year? I'm staying there next week as a Gold member.
Any experiences you can share? I'm gold and will stay at the Cassa later this year
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Any experiences you can share? I'm gold and will stay at the Cassa later this year
Have you read the eleven day old post in this thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.