Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retention offer on the US Bank card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
I called in today and all they offered me was a 6-month promotional APR of 7.99% instead of 21%. I had 0 spend on card last year and always pay my full statement balance.... so yeah... thanks for nothing.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:38 pm

I have kept this for several years without much spend for the 40k bonus each year. I just called in this year after fee posted and was offered 7500 points. Surprised by the offfer.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
My anniversary month is December. I had always gotten my 40K & my freebie night if earned, right after my statement printed in early Feb.
Last winter they waived the AF so I could collect a bonus which I had earned but not received. This September I received 40K bonus points & a letter saying that their audit found that they had forgotten to give it to me in Feb. A nice surprise, given that I did not deserve it due to the AF waiver!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Called to cancel the card, was transferred to retention who waived the annual fee. Probably the third or fourth time I'd called in the last month to ask for promos or fee waivers to keep the card, but this time I guess since I sounded firm I was transferred to the right department.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just called to cancel the card last night. Rep said 'OK' and cancelled it, without asking why nor trying to convince me to keep it. I volunteered that my travel needs had changed, so I don't stay at many Radissons anymore. I first got the card in 2012. The End.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Never received my 40,000 points after fee was waived. Contacted customer service and they've been unfriendly to say the least. While I was never told that I would still receive the points, I was also not told that I would not receive the points either.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
7500 retention offer on 2 cards
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:00 pm

I know folks want as many points as they can get but I would never cancel this card. It is one of the best value cards out there IMHO. The $75 yearly fee always nets me at least $300 in savings using the Points and cash option. Maybe I am missing something ?
vincewy likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc305
I know folks want as many points as they can get but I would never cancel this card. It is one of the best value cards out there IMHO. The $75 yearly fee always nets me at least $300 in savings using the Points and cash option. Maybe I am missing something ?
You must be lucky to traveling to places every year where it's worth redeeming Radisson Rewards points that much. Most people have trouble finding Radisson Rewards properties worth redeeming at except in certain locations, which they don't travel to every year.

Most years the only Radisson Rewards hotels I want to stay at are cheap Country Inns where it makes no sense to redeem either points or points + cash, but rather earn.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:02 am

I understand different travel patterns yield different results but 40K points at the commonly quoted value of .04 cents is still $160 of implied value, Not bad return for $75 investment. The reason of my first post is that I do not look at the Radisson thread very often and I had just received my 40K for renewal and I was in the process of planning a trip. I have just booked a trip to Europe . Like for like room, with the same rate rules , and at a hotel that I have stayed at before. Cash price - 1278 Euros . Cash and Points - 740 Euros + 40Kpts. About 590 USD for my 40K points this year.

This is just an example of using the 40K from the renewal fee . The card itself is not very attractive . 2-3% foreign conversion fee is a joke these days. Will use my Chase CSR for above cash portion of the stay.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc305
I understand different travel patterns yield different results but 40K points at the commonly quoted value of .04 cents is still $160 of implied value, Not bad return for $75 investment. The reason of my first post is that I do not look at the Radisson thread very often and I had just received my 40K for renewal and I was in the process of planning a trip. I have just booked a trip to Europe . Like for like room, with the same rate rules , and at a hotel that I have stayed at before. Cash price - 1278 Euros . Cash and Points - 740 Euros + 40Kpts. About 590 USD for my 40K points this year.

This is just an example of using the 40K from the renewal fee . The card itself is not very attractive . 2-3% foreign conversion fee is a joke these days. Will use my Chase CSR for above cash portion of the stay.
What was the pure points rate, which would have saved you 1278 Euros? And for how many nights was this?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:01 pm

28k x 8 nights.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
For me 40K points + a little bit of spending pushing to 45K is enough for 3 nights at certain properties in Chicago, Toronto, and Cleveland.

I also stay at hotels often in Midwest, naturally I use this card for all Radisson stays in US. Last year 44K points were enough for a night at Radisson Blue Reykjavik which easily goes for $250 during the summer.

I value pretty much all hotel credit cards that give anniversary free nights and/or points each year. It removes the urge/need to sign up new cards for bonuses.

One card I regret not getting was Barclay's Wyndham Rewards Visa Signature which $69 gets you 15000 points.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
For me 40K points + a little bit of spending pushing to 45K is enough for 3 nights at certain properties in Chicago, Toronto, and Cleveland.

I also stay at hotels often in Midwest, naturally I use this card for all Radisson stays in US. Last year 44K points were enough for a night at Radisson Blue Reykjavik which easily goes for $250 during the summer.

I value pretty much all hotel credit cards that give anniversary free nights and/or points each year. It removes the urge/need to sign up new cards for bonuses.

One card I regret not getting was Barclay's Wyndham Rewards Visa Signature which $69 gets you 15000 points.
I had the $75 fee Wyndham card and got the 30k points. I cancelled it as the 6K bonus on renewal did not cover the fee. May apply again at a later date if I can get the bonus again. I do stay at Wyndhams but again use my CSR as the earning rate is better. Like you said any card that gives a free night yearly is a keeper.

Last edited by anc305; Mar 4, 2020 at 6:07 pm
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Called for retention offer on the Radisson business card. I used the card for ms a lot in 2019 to earn free nights. Didn't bother in 2020 so no offer from US Bank. Keeping it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.