Search

Club Carlson wants your input

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:14 pm
Company Representative - Radisson Hotels & Club Carlson
Original Poster

Club Carlson wants your input

Hi all,

We want you to know that Club Carlson reads your posts on various threads. Suggestions and feedback like yours help us shape the program and our offerings. That being said, we are exploring new destination offerings and would like your input.

If you could take your (extended) family on a trip anywhere in the world for an authentic cultural immersion experience, where would you go and why? Are there any specific activities you would want to be sure you and your family experienced together?

Thank you in advance for contributing to the thread!
-Club Carlson Team
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
Hi. It's nice to have a CC rep here. I would guess some of us here are among your most loyal customers. As for Q&A, I think you'll get a more active discussion with more specific questions, but maybe the board will prove me wrong!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Peninsula--thanks for the warm welcome! We know we have many, many loyal members who are here on FlyerTalk and we're excited to become more actively engaged, especially after the end of the year.

For now, we are focused on destinations and have intentionally left this question broad. There are bucket lists in so many members' minds that we'd love to hear about them in this thread and see if we can make any of those dreams come true.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, Aeroplan 25K
I'll give it a go.

If you go back a couple centuries, my heritage is Scottish, specifically the highlands. I would love to take my family to learn about the history of the clans, drink some scotch and maybe participate in some highland games.

On the flipside, my wife's family is from central Italy. A great trip would involve finding local ingredients, learning how to cook them and pairing them with various wines.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Dave, this is awesome stuff! Just the kind of inspiration we're looking for. Ideally, who would attend this trip from your family?

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital
I'll give it a go.

If you go back a couple centuries, my heritage is Scottish, specifically the highlands. I would love to take my family to learn about the history of the clans, drink some scotch and maybe participate in some highland games.

On the flipside, my wife's family is from central Italy. A great trip would involve finding local ingredients, learning how to cook them and pairing them with various wines.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: UA/AA
I too am one for whom Scotch is the ancestral beverage.
Perhaps a Distillery tour package with a designated driver would be popular as interest grows in this spirit.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I'll bite. I'd love to take the family to Nepal- check out Kathmandu, visit some Buddhist shrines, see how people live, and then, of course, some trekking. Maybe even a trek to Everest Base Camp...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Club Carlson
Dave, this is awesome stuff! Just the kind of inspiration we're looking for. Ideally, who would attend this trip from your family?
Mrs. Dave is turning 50 in 2017, so I think her participation would be mandatory.

Seriously though, we always travel with our son (elementary school). We might try to recreate a trip from last year, where we went on a driving trip to Manitoba with my in-laws to visit my Mom. I always love a challenge in travel planning and trying to keep a diverse group of ages interested while showing my in-laws a chunk of Canada was fun.

Of course, given that our parents are getting up there in age and the fact that it would be a birthday trip, we would likely invite some cousins to join us if our parents were unable to come along.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
By new destination offerings, do you mean new hotel locations? My GF and I love Barcelona, which is a gaping hole in the Carlson network right now. It would be great to go and immerse ourselves in Catalan culture for a while.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
By new destination offerings, do you mean new hotel locations? My GF and I love Barcelona, which is a gaping hole in the Carlson network right now.
A gaping hole in the Carlson network is Las Vegas. Really, the entire Southwest is a weak spot for Carlson. I'm always amazed when I go down there and there is no Carlson hotel of any brand for me to try.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hiltonhonors gold, Priority Club platimum, Club Carlson gold, Marriott gold
I would like to see Carlson at LAX and LAS
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Destination or activity-based decision?

Good suggestions here. We're looking mostly for destinations where you may take your family for a chance to immerse yourselves in authentic culture.

Are there any specific activities you would want to do with your family on this type of vacation? Is it more about activities or destination that would drive the decision?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:22 pm

In my examples (Highlands of Scotland and Central Italy), both are destination driven with the activities flowing from there.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

True, Dave, and your examples sound like awesome trips worth taking. Thanks for the inspiration -- we really appreciate it!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is a rather strange thread coming from a company rep. I can't see how "cultural immersion" has anything to do with signing up new hotels in specific locations. (anywhere under represented by the other major chains would be the place to start)

I also don't quite see the fit if CC wants to offer its members the chance to spend points on non-CC hotels as part of an "cultural immersion". I can think of a few: "being a gaucho for a few days on a ranch in Argentina or Uruguay", "ryokans / onsens in Japan", something with Bedouins in an Arabian desert etc. But for those I would simply book a guided adventure tour such as those offered by "G Adventures" or "Intrepid" rather than expect something small and authentic from a big hotel chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.