Wiki Posts
Search

Check in after midnight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Check in after midnight

We tried to check in at 3am in the following day of checkin. However, the front desk agent said we had to show up on the day of arrival, eventually our booking was considered as now show. This was also explained by the hotel's GM via an email.

I had never had such an issue with other hotel chains as long as I check in before a checkout time. Is this Carlson's standard?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Had you alerted the hotel to the late arrival in advance?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just make certain that you alert the property as to your check-in time. You are paying for the night one way or the other. But, if you let them know, the property won't let it go to someone else (I take it that's what happened here) if they know that you are coming.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Definitely make sure you didn't get charged if they didn't have a room for you. If they didn't have a room, they should have found one for you at a comparable hotel.

It's a good idea to call the hotel if you show up very late so they will (hopefully) save your room for you.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I had never had such an issue with other hotel chains as long as I check in before a checkout time. Is this Carlson's standard?
Never had the problem at any Radissons as well. I guess it was just an issue with that specific property.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. No, we had no chance to contact the hotel as that late arrival was unexpected as we were involved in a trouble. Cutting a long story short, our jackets were stained with paint whilst buying tickets at a station, then missed a train.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: none
It's probably a local occurrence, not a policy of Carlson.

Sounds like someone decided you were going to no-show, and went ahead and gave you room away (i.e., sold it to someone else). Then, when you finally do show up, there's a problem.

You should be entitled to compensation.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103
It's probably a local occurrence, not a policy of Carlson.

Sounds like someone decided you were going to no-show, and went ahead and gave you room away (i.e., sold it to someone else). Then, when you finally do show up, there's a problem.

You should be entitled to compensation.
I had the same Problem with an Accor Hotel.
I prepaid 2 months before for 2 Nights and checked in online on the day of arrival, informing that my arrival would be after 23:00 hrs.
Then my actual arrival was after 23:00 at 07:00 in the morning and no room was available for me?it was prepaid to avoid this situation i needed my room after a long travel.
I had to wait for 2 hours to get a room which i already paid for 2 nights. I got nothing as compensation as platinum member, then i fighted for a free breakfast at least which they gave me.
But then i was missing my correct points in my account as i gor only 1 night credit instead of the 2 paid ones?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's not clear whether the OP got a room in the end or whether the hotel overbooked and took advantage of the late arrival situation to try and avoid paying compensation.

It might be a local property policy, but most hotels actively encourage paying for the previous night if a guest is arriving early and wants a guaranteed room. Which property are we talking about?

I would raise the issue with Club Carlson corporate as compensation should be due if the OP didn't get a room, or was forced to pay for another night.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's not clear whether the OP got a room in the end or whether the hotel overbooked and took advantage of the late arrival situation to try and avoid paying compensation.

It might be a local property policy, but most hotels actively encourage paying for the previous night if a guest is arriving early and wants a guaranteed room. Which property are we talking about?

I would raise the issue with Club Carlson corporate as compensation should be due if the OP didn't get a room, or was forced to pay for another night.
I am very sorry for the confusion and thank you for opining it out. I have noticed I did not mention it.

Eventually, we managed to get rooms but was not sure if it was because of my status (Concierge). However, we had to wait for 30min or so because the system was already turned off and also deleted our bookings. Also, the staff repeated I was Concierge so of course they were giving us rooms.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I am very sorry for the confusion and thank you for opining it out. I have noticed I did not mention it.

Eventually, we managed to get rooms but was not sure if it was because of my status (Concierge). However, we had to wait for 30min or so because the system was already turned off and also deleted our bookings. Also, the staff repeated I was Concierge so of course they were giving us rooms.
Really, dude, this is a totally different situation. Not really cool to post as you did at first. It was completely misleading.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Really, dude, this is a totally different situation. Not really cool to post as you did at first. It was completely misleading.
Why is this post misleading. I have never said we did not get rooms.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: none
Moderator: Please close and lock this thread.

It turns out to be not what most readers originally thought.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Something else to watch for - make sure the stay posts correctly. Last winter I had a 3 am check-in due to a snowstorm-caused flight delay. When the stay posted to my account, I got the correct points for my 4 night stay, but only 3 nights elite credit. A couple of emails to customer service only yielded tone-deaf "the stay has posted" replies but no understanding nor resolution; I eventually gave up.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
This is an important issue, because some travel agents advise clients to book the previous night when arriving in Europe early in the morning from N. America--to guarantee that a room will be waiting when they arrive at 8 AM or so! I have never done so, but have gotten lucky on all my arrivals in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.