Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Number of points for award night changes according to date?

Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

Is it normal that the number of points required for a award night change according to the date?

e.g. normal price 70.000 pts but on specific nights it rises to 105.000?
In particular I can confirm that on that specific date and hotel, the standard points rate was 70.000 pts, but recently it grew up to 105.000!

Shouldn't be a fixed rate, based on hotel category? (this is what I recall).

thanks
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:29 am

105.000 is the "premium award", 70.000 the "standard award" category. Standard usually means standard room, no breakfast included, the premium means business class room and breakfast included. Depends very much on the property, look up the rate terms and conditions.

Why just the premium award is available? Probably the hotel is sold out on the standard rooms that night or the maximum number of standard awards for that particular night is already gone.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by fassy
105.000 is the "premium award", 70.000 the "standard award" category. Standard usually means standard room, no breakfast included, the premium means business class room and breakfast included. Depends very much on the property, look up the rate terms and conditions.

Why just the premium award is available? Probably the hotel is sold out on the standard rooms that night or the maximum number of standard awards for that particular night is already gone.
Yep, but strangely the standard room is available for the full fare...it seems to me that it's a funny trick to make some specific nights more expensive...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:23 pm

No, same concept as on airlines. They do allocate a number of rooms available for awards a night, lets say 4 standard rooms and 1 business class room. As soon as 4 people book a standard award they will not open up more standard rooms because the awards were "sold out". They might open up more award space if they see the booking situation allows it closer to the date you're looking for.

Just because you still can book a room for cash doesn't mean you get it as award same like you cannot get a award flight just because there is a seat sold. The 70k for the standard award which means you are looking at a high tier hotel (perhaps even during some nice event or travel season) which might be a place others will appreciate as well and just have been quick enough to book before you did.

You can try to call the property and ask them to open up standard award for you but I doubt you will be successful.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

No, same concept as on airlines. They do allocate a number of rooms available for awards a night, lets say 4 standard rooms and 1 business class room. As soon as 4 people book a standard award they will not open up more standard rooms because the awards were "sold out". They might open up more award space if they see the booking situation allows it closer to the date you're looking for.

Just because you still can book a room for cash doesn't mean you get it as award same like you cannot get a award flight just because there is a seat sold. The 70k for the standard award which means you are looking at a high tier hotel (perhaps even during some nice event or travel season) which might be a place others will appreciate as well and just have been quick enough to book before you did.

You can try to call the property and ask them to open up standard award for you but I doubt you will be successful.
Yep, I follow your reasoning, but since CC program states "no black out dates", it means that i should have the possibility to book a room everytime I want (except in fully booked hotels), for the standard award rate...

....otherwise hotels could easily have the temptation to give availability for 1 standard room/night, then 1 business class room/night, then what else? maybe a suite? for how many points? 200.000 ?

Even if I follow your reasoning and partially agree on that, I'm not sure that this is the right path for this property, I mean in accordance with CC T&C.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds weird.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Yep, I follow your reasoning, but since CC program states "no black out dates", it means that i should have the possibility to book a room everytime I want (except in fully booked hotels), for the standard award rate...

....otherwise hotels could easily have the temptation to give availability for 1 standard room/night, then 1 business class room/night, then what else? maybe a suite? for how many points? 200.000 ?

Even if I follow your reasoning and partially agree on that, I'm not sure that this is the right path for this property, I mean in accordance with CC T&C.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds weird.
I don't think "no black out dates" necessarily means that - it can mean that there are rooms available on every date, it doesn't mean that all rooms are available for s standard award rate.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:46 am

Indeed, "no black out dates" means that even during special events or holidays like let's say Christmas they will allocate some room contingent as awards - but still there is a restriction on how many rooms.

In many other chain programs they allow the hotels to block out dates which are very popular. I got fantastic deals at Radisson during tradeshow weeks, public holidays or huge events in the city using the award room to save 400€ to 500€ per night.

Not sure how it is controlled though, i.E. how many rooms a hotel of a specific size needs to allocate and if it will be audited but you can call Club Carlson and ask them to investigate at the hotel, I heard sometimes they managed to open up a room.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Indeed, "no black out dates" means that even during special events or holidays like let's say Christmas they will allocate some room contingent as awards - but still there is a restriction on how many rooms.

In many other chain programs they allow the hotels to block out dates which are very popular. I got fantastic deals at Radisson during tradeshow weeks, public holidays or huge events in the city using the award room to save 400€ to 500€ per night.

Not sure how it is controlled though, i.E. how many rooms a hotel of a specific size needs to allocate and if it will be audited but you can call Club Carlson and ask them to investigate at the hotel, I heard sometimes they managed to open up a room.
I agree.
my concerns are about the fact that the hotel management could be tempted to reduce the number of standard awards in order to get higher revenues. e.g. I know that e.g. a 70.000 pts standard award correspond to 89-109€ credited to the hotel by CC. A 105.000 pts award would result in a higher compensation.

Anyway I'll contact CC to have a chance for a standard room!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.