Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson Hotel Group | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

40k bonus points for paying annual fee on credit card also gone (no: continues)

Old Jul 2, 15, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

So I was under the impression based on communication from US Bank and Club Carlson that the 40,000 bonus points every year by keeping the credit card was staying. That the free night for a $10,000 spend was to replace the Bonus Award Night. Here is the quote from the email about the change

Beginning June 1, 2015, you can earn a Free Night, good at any Carlson Rezidor hotel in the U.S. This Free Night will replace the current Bonus Award Night benefit. Bonus Award Night stays may not be booked after June 1, 2015. You'll receive the new Free Night award upon renewal of your card after an annual spend of $10,000. Updated program terms and conditions will apply and be available on June 1, 2015.
Which is mostly true, except it says it replaces the Bonus Award Night.

If you check the terms and conditions for the card no 40,000 point bonus is listed anywhere. The entire annual bonus is now only if you spent $10,000 dollars in the previous year and it only consists of one free award night.

The devaluation of the card is worse then I thought it was. I was planning on keeping the card but now I will be cancelling it. The annual fee is not worth it for me.
Old Jul 2, 15, 4:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by kenban View Post
So I was under the impression based on communication from US Bank and Club Carlson that the 40,000 bonus points every year by keeping the credit card was staying. That the free night for a $10,000 spend was to replace the Bonus Award Night. Here is the quote from the email about the change

Which is mostly true, except it says it replaces the Bonus Award Night.

If you check the terms and conditions for the card no 40,000 point bonus is listed anywhere. The entire annual bonus is now only if you spent $10,000 dollars in the previous year and it only consists of one free award night.

The devaluation of the card is worse then I thought it was. I was planning on keeping the card but now I will be cancelling it. The annual fee is not worth it for me.
Whenever I think I've stumbled upon some new information, I like to double check it. In this field, that means checking resources like FT. Any reports similar to yours? No. Any support from the blogs? No. Any email from US Bank or Club Carlson announcing the change, similar to the emails that advised of the elimination of the Bonus Award Night benefit? No. Any change in the terms of the application page? No.

Not saying your interpretation is incorrect. But before canceling the card or possibly swaying others to take a similar action--that might prove to be rash if the 40K annual renewal bonus is important--I'd be searching for some confirmation.

If true, however, I'd cancel the card myself. One free room for $10K annual spend on this card plus an annual fee is not worth my money or my efforts.
Old Jul 2, 15, 5:56 pm

Wow, that would be terrible news! And I was banking on my 40K bonus this year.

How can they change the terms of what we contractually agreed to?
Old Jul 2, 15, 8:19 pm

If you go the the club carlson visa sign up page and click on the learn more button it has a loyalty rewarded row which states:

40,000 renewal points each year when you renew your card
Earn one free night when you charge $10,000 then renew your Card

So it looks like the 40K is still being advertised as a benefit.
Old Jul 5, 15, 10:43 pm

I just recv'd my 40K annual bonus, about 1.5 months after the AF was charged.
Old Jul 6, 15, 12:44 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
I just recv'd my 40K annual bonus, about 1.5 months after the AF was charged.
Same here. Relax OP.
Old Jul 15, 15, 3:36 pm

Indeed, chill… research… patience…

I can confirm the 40k is still in play, as mine posted 2 weeks ago… about 1.5 months after the AF posted in a billing statement.

Despite the (extremely sad) loss of the free last night benefit, this card is still valuable IMO.
Couple the 40k w/ a mere $1k/month in MS, and you have 100k points for almost no effort and, in my case (biz card), $60 AF.
Bump that to $1700/month and you’ll clear 140k pts.. which is good for two nights at the top-tiers.
$1700 MS can take as little as 5 minutes to accomplish… at a cost of <$20.

I’ll take that for two nights in NY, Moscow, Paris, Vienna, etc etc.
AND, you don’t have to play the back-to-back 2-night-alternating booking game.
Old Nov 6, 15, 7:30 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

Updated the thread title to reflect that the bonus continues on.

--jpdx, CC Moderator
Old Nov 6, 15, 12:34 pm

So if you spend 10K, and upon renewal you pay the AF you would get a 40k bonus, the 50K for the regular 5x spend, and the e cert for the free night anywhere....?
Old Nov 6, 15, 8:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
So if you spend 10K, and upon renewal you pay the AF you would get a 40k bonus, the 50K for the regular 5x spend, and the e cert for the free night anywhere....?
E cert is valid for US CC hotels only.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: