Search

How would you spend 600K CC points?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 9:16 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

While I will not be getting rid of the credit card (I think the annual bonus points at renewal are worth the fee), I am not happy with the loss of the bonus free night and major hotel level inflations.

I want to go ahead and go on a spending spree for travel next year.

We are open on where to go... assume I will find tickets to make the travel work.

What would be your top hotels to utilize points with the following caveats:

1. No travel to Australia or China (went this year)
2. Want to get out of the US
3. Love to hit Iceland, Scotland and/or Ireland (just possibilities since neither of us have been there)!
4. Open to other countries as well

Appreciate any thoughts... and why you would choose your recommendation!
Old May 6, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
If your goal is to base your travel around burning your CC points, you might consider doing a Scandinavia trip. The Radisson Blu's in various Scandinavian cities (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo) seem to be well located within each city, get quite good reviews, and are a good redemption value (at the current pricing) relative to paid cost. From my experience with Radissons, I suspect this would be one of the better ways to maximize hotel quality and value (and your credit card bonus, as several of those cities have multiple Carlson properties within easy reach of one another).
Old May 6, 2015, 1:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

whimsey21 gives good advice. We've stayed at Radissons in Reyjkavik, Oslo and Tromso. Hotels were ok, not great, but free is good. Many of the hotels in the chain were owned by SAS, thus the concentration in the Scandinavian countries.

We really liked the premium room we were given in Vienna at Radisson Blu Style. I love the city of Vienna, and the hotel is extremely well located in the historic heart of the city. I used extra points to get a larger room and breakfast.

We didn't stay at the Radisson Blu in Cannes, but the location is superb, overlooking the harbor.

We had a wonderful room at the Mayfair in London. We really enjoyed the location in the center of Mayfair.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:24 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The Ireland properties are quite nice.

Radisson Blu Royal Dublin and Radisson Blu Galway are both very well located.

Radisson Blu St Helens Dublin was formerly a convent. The building and grounds are gorgeous, but it's about 20 minutes outside the city (bus stop a block away, DART station IIRC is about a half mile walk.)

I've heard wonderful things about the Radisson Blu Cavan but haven't stayed there myself.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
norway is a very good choice in summer. although oslo can be otherwise horrifically expensive, the radisson blu plaza is an excellent hotel and gives an inclusive buffet breakfast on points (where u can stuff ur face - with salmon - so that u can make do with a snack lunch when u're out sightseeing). breakfast tends to be inclusive for points stays at radisson blu throughout norway.

ian.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
... The Radisson Blu's in various Scandinavian cities (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo) seem to be well located within each city, get quite good reviews, and are a good redemption value (at the current pricing) relative to paid cost. .....
Great advice...the only caveat I would throw in is about Copenhagen. The Carlson properties there are sub par, IMO. If you have some Hilton points, the Copenhagen Airport Hilton usually has good redemption rates available, if booked sufficiently in advance (although there is no 2-for-1 of course).
Old May 9, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
Went to Bergen, Helsinki and Vienna last year to Radisson Blu's. All were very nice and well located. Food in Bergen is extremely expensive but you got started with an extensive, included buffet breaksfast. Have a bunch of trips planned in the next 14 months. London (probably the very best redemption value $600+) along with Edinburgh and Glasgow, Poland, Capetown, and Switzerland (Basel, Lucerne and Zurich). It's going to cost almost triple (140K vs 50K) to redeem for 2 nites. Wife and I each have our own accounts so we can alternate. Fantastic deal, which is unfortunately coming to an end.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:30 pm

I'd probably fly to London and spend 2 or 4 days around London (50K-100K points), then take a cheap one way flight to Scandinavia (your pick) for several days. Maybe return to US using Norwegian with stop in KEF, or one way Ryanair to Dublin for a night or 2 and then on home.

I'm presuming this is one trip, though perhaps you have more than one TATL trip in mind. Guess it depends on how much time you have to invest.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:41 am
In memoriam

I have six consecutive nights in London coming up next month using points.

Value is around 1500 pounds.

You made me do do it, Carlson--with that darn devaluation!
Old May 10, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Originally Posted by missydarlin
The Ireland properties are quite nice.

Radisson Blu Royal Dublin and Radisson Blu Galway are both very well located.

Radisson Blu St Helens Dublin was formerly a convent. The building and grounds are gorgeous, but it's about 20 minutes outside the city (bus stop a block away, DART station IIRC is about a half mile walk.)

I've heard wonderful things about the Radisson Blu Cavan but haven't stayed there myself.
Don't forget the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa in Cork.
One of the Cities two 5* Hotels.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by wharvey
While I will not be getting rid of the credit card (I think the annual bonus points at renewal are worth the fee), I am not happy with the loss of the bonus free night and major hotel level inflations.

I want to go ahead and go on a spending spree for travel next year.

We are open on where to go... assume I will find tickets to make the travel work.

What would be your top hotels to utilize points with the following caveats:

1. No travel to Australia or China (went this year)
2. Want to get out of the US
3. Love to hit Iceland, Scotland and/or Ireland (just possibilities since neither of us have been there)!
4. Open to other countries as well

Appreciate any thoughts... and why you would choose your recommendation!
I second another poster who mentioned London. Just got back from staying at 2 Club Carlson properties and they were both fantastic and centrally located. In addition, London is one of the cities experiencing a massive devaluation between most properties increasing to 70k per night from 50k and the loss of the last night free with the Club Carlson Visa. So if you want to go to London and stay at a Club Carlson property this would be the time. I really liked the Radisson Blu Mercer Street. Room was decent size and the front desk was extremely helpful. Also, the Park Plaza Victoria is another great hotel especially if you are planning to travel by train throughout Europe as it is about a 5 minute walk from Victoria train station. Also, only about a 15 minute Walk to Hyde Park, Westminster Cathedral and Big Ben, or Buckingham Palace.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:40 pm

I liked the Mercer Street area also. I did 2 nights there and moved to the Leicester Square hotel for 2 more nights. 4 nights for 100K points... a good deal.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I have six consecutive nights in London coming up next month using points.

Value is around 1500 pounds.

You made me do do it, Carlson--with that darn devaluation!
Likewise, I just cashed in my stash for six consecutive nights at The May Fair for this August. Value is just shy of 2500 pounds.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

Quickly.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Am just finishing up a three night stay at The Mayfair (it priced out at 3 nights for 100k points--not totally sure how that worked, but also not complaining!). It's a lovely property! Although I did get an upgraded room, I didn't get breakfast. But reasonable breakfast options abound (including two nearby grocery stores).

Also really enjoyed the Radisson Blu in Budapest. Yes, it needs an upgrade, but great location and great value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.