Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson Hotel Group | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Club Carlson or Hyatt properties in Amsterdam? Advice needed...

Has anyone stayed at Club Carlson or Hyatt properties in Amsterdam? Advice needed...

Old Feb 19, 15, 3:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 11
Has anyone stayed at Club Carlson or Hyatt properties in Amsterdam? Advice needed...

I'm staying 3 nights in early June. I have 98k club Carlson points and the cc, so can stay a free night with one night booked. Art'otel is 70k points a night, with free breakfast. Radisson Blu is 50k a night with no breakfast, possible renovations going on, and reviews while good seem not as good as art'otel.

So I can either stay three nights at the radisson blu (I have 98k total, so would have to buy a couple thousand points) or two nights at art'otel, and one night at a different property, possibly the Hyatt Andaz for 25k a night (but 5k points back after the current promotion for 20k total). If I stay at those two different places I'd have to pay out of pocket for a taxi plus no free breakfast, a small but not insignificant cost.

Thoughts? Any advice from those that have stayed here? Am I missing a better third option?
hannsg620 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:15 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,255
Has anyone stayed at Club Carlson or Hyatt properties in Amsterdam? Advice needed...

Have you searched the forum for details on both properties? I think both have been discussed in detail in various threads. Art'otel gets better reviews and is the newer more modern property.

I personally would do 2 nights at the Art'otel and then move to the Andaz (if I wanted to stay soley on points) or actually pay for the 3rd night at the Art'otel to avoid having to move.
christianj is offline  
Old Feb 20, 15, 7:17 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London Utrecht Antwerp SkiResorts
Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Posts: 187
You also have 2 park plaza's.
The one on Vondelpark is pretty nice.
barte is offline  
Old Feb 20, 15, 2:02 pm
  #4  
Formerly known as iahsumr
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 520
I stayed at the Andaz and visited friends staying at the two Club Carlson properties about 9 months ago. The Andaz would be my first choice. The Art'otel would be my choice over the Radisson Blu. Agree with the suggestion to split between Art'otel then Andaz if you want to use some Club Carlson points.
Mommy Points is offline  
Old Feb 22, 15, 1:07 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by hannsg620 View Post
I'm staying 3 nights in early June. I have 98k club Carlson points and the cc, so can stay a free night with one night booked. Art'otel is 70k points a night, with free breakfast. Radisson Blu is 50k a night with no breakfast, possible renovations going on, and reviews while good seem not as good as art'otel.

So I can either stay three nights at the radisson blu (I have 98k total, so would have to buy a couple thousand points) or two nights at art'otel, and one night at a different property, possibly the Hyatt Andaz for 25k a night (but 5k points back after the current promotion for 20k total). If I stay at those two different places I'd have to pay out of pocket for a taxi plus no free breakfast, a small but not insignificant cost.

Thoughts? Any advice from those that have stayed here? Am I missing a better third option?
Art'otel is a better hotel and depending on your itinerary a better location.

you also get free wine, beer, water etc in Art'otel - which I like.

Radisson is fine, right by redlight and not far from rembrandt square - it's a bit dated but the staff are top notch.

The renovation work is nearly finished I think, will let you know as am there tomorrow
dc2447 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 15, 3:00 pm
  #6  
747
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: East Hampton/Dorado Beach
Posts: 587
I stayed at the Art'otel twice last summer.

Wow ! What a great hotel.

The breakfast is amazing too.
747 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 15, 6:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: KOA
Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,251
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I stayed at the Art'otel twice last summer.

Wow ! What a great hotel.

The breakfast is amazing too.
Was the breakfast free as the OP mentioned? If so, would that apply to award nights too?
Richard1148 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 10:23 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Renovation work still going on in Rusland
dc2447 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
Renovation work still going on in Rusland
staying there with family in late May. Any word on when the renovations will be finished?
dagaetch is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everywhere
Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Posts: 733
I stayed at the Radisson Blu and Park Plaza Victoria which is right next door to the the Art'otel, and I must say we liked the location at the Radisson a lot better. But if you need to be closer to mcdonalds, the other would be better.

But really, I haven't stayed at the Art'otel but the Radisson was pretty nice.
travelisfree is offline  
Old Feb 26, 15, 1:02 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
staying there with family in late May. Any word on when the renovations will be finished?
I will try and find out for you but they are doing it floor by floor, currently on floor 3
dc2447 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 15, 1:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
I will try and find out for you but they are doing it floor by floor, currently on floor 3
very kind of you, don't go to any trouble though. We aren't changing our plans at this point, so it's just curiosity more than anything.
dagaetch is offline  
Old Feb 27, 15, 1:55 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
very kind of you, don't go to any trouble though. We aren't changing our plans at this point, so it's just curiosity more than anything.
It's no trouble.

Renovations due to finish 9th March
dc2447 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 15, 6:38 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
It's no trouble.

Renovations due to finish 9th March
excellent, that's great to know!
dagaetch is offline  
Old Mar 10, 15, 2:51 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Thumbs up

As mentioned by another poster, PP Vondelpark is a good deal, but possibly better cash than points as the rates are usually only 80 or so. Nice hotel, quiet upmarket area, near trams but not central, needs a refurbishment, but good size rooms and worth the money (this is my 'go to').
Artotel is very good, nice rooms, nice decor, decent breakfast. They refer to is as Artotel 2.0, a new luxury concept and part of the Quorvus Collection. Good CC status recognition.
Radisson is nice, good hotel, some decent size rooms, decent breakfast, but only downside for me is the location (a little far to walk to/from tram lines).
PP Victoria, nice location, worth the points, rates are often very steep. Variable CC recognition, go for (or ask for) the Urban wing, Victoria Wing is really dated (but refurb starting). Location next to Artotel and opposite station.
P.S. Artotel and Victoria share the same fitness and pool facility and its very good.
simonlant is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: