Wiki Posts
Search

Flash sale - 70.000 points for $280

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Flash sale - 70.000 points for $280

A 24hr 75% bonus on purchased points: http://www.clubcarlson.com/fgp/secur....do?action=buy
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Thanks for posting this.

I wanted to buy some points of Daily Getaways yesterday, but the packages were all taken with the first 30 seconds. This is a good deal.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
This is a very good deal, not sure if I can justify it with > 150,000 CC points already banked and another 80,000 on the way when my personal & biz cards hit their anniversary. If anyone has a CC stay coming up this is a great opportunity to boost that balance.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Just a cautionary tale regarding what happened last year about this time after DG and a following 75% CC flash sale:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carls...ion-rates.html

CC might not devalue the airline conversion chart, but given last year, it's possible that they could "adjust" the hotel chart again. If you've got a use in mind, clearly this sale makes more sense than DG since the price is slightly cheaper even than buying with the Amex 10% discount--and makes you wonder why CC limited the number of DG packages, but I wouldn't buy and hold the points.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This offer is rather limited... they are still using the 40k yearly limit.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:17 pm

Can anyone confirm that points purchases on the CC site with the CC credit card get 10 points per dollar?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
IIRC I bought points in last year's flash sale & did NOT get the 10 pp$, only 5.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: All of Them
I'd buy this if I didn't live in Japan where there's only one crummy property. I have 170k just sitting around waiting for a devaluation.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anything stopping you from redeeming for a property outside of Japan? It's possible today to book a hotel for next year using points now.

Originally Posted by gil123
Can anyone confirm that points purchases on the CC site with the CC credit card get 10 points per dollar?
Points.com is the merchant and not eligible for 10 points per dollar.

I'm thinking of having a few household members buy the points in their accounts and transfer them to another household member with the CC credit card. C. $140/night (or better) would be the net result that may be sufficiently worthwhile.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:29 am

Thanks for the input. Some blogs and their commenters are saying that this is coded as a Club Carlson purchase and so it should get 10x but I don't believe it. I did a small test purchase on a Visa gift card I need to liquidate and it shows up as POINTS CLUB CARLSON. This is the same way that my POINTS US AIRWAYS points purchase showed up a few months ago on my US Air card and that did not qualify for any bonus. And clearly it is processed by points.com not Club Carlson. So I believe it is 5X like any other normal purchase, which doesn't excite me (but I am still a buyer, using a different credit card, in the hopes that I redeem before their next deval) ...

Anyway this is an interesting marketing technique. Look at how much free social media coverage they got from just selling some points cheaper for a limited period. I am sure it equates to advertising dollar values that equal or exceed the value of the discounts. They created instant buzz. If you overdo it (like US Airways monthly promos) then maybe it has less of an impact but by doing it once a year I think they get a big return on their minimal "investment" (not even sure it is an investment per se because I would not be buying full-price points nor likely staying at one of their properties as much without the promo, so they didn't "lose" anything selling points to me cheaper) And I think it has some value to buyers if CC don't overdo it and flood the market with points or devalue the program again soon before we have a chance to use what we buy.

Last edited by gil123; Jun 19, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:29 am

This is a fantastic deal and is cheaper then the daily getaway deals.

I will not be surprised if I see three issues occur soon.

At some point I expect the last night free benefit from the credit card to be changed. Maybe it will require a 3 night stay but it is almost too powerful right now.

Hotels which are getting slammed with guests using points are making it so you can no longer book rooms. I would like to take advantage of my points at the Radisson in New York City later in the year and am unable to book anything.

I expect to see more hotels move up a category at some point soon. Going back to the Radisson in New York City I am not going to be surprised if it is a category 7 soon.

I did purchase the points but I plan on booking several trips soon and will try to burn through as many of these as possible. But I really wish I still had the ability to book the Radisson Martinique or that Club Carlson had more hotels in NYC.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
A 24hr 75% bonus on purchased points: http://www.clubcarlson.com/fgp/secur....do?action=buy
How do you receive notifications of the reduced points sale. I am always one day late.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kenban
This is a fantastic deal and is cheaper then the daily getaway deals.

I will not be surprised if I see three issues occur soon.

At some point I expect the last night free benefit from the credit card to be changed. Maybe it will require a 3 night stay but it is almost too powerful right now.

Hotels which are getting slammed with guests using points are making it so you can no longer book rooms. I would like to take advantage of my points at the Radisson in New York City later in the year and am unable to book anything.

I expect to see more hotels move up a category at some point soon. Going back to the Radisson in New York City I am not going to be surprised if it is a category 7 soon.

I did purchase the points but I plan on booking several trips soon and will try to burn through as many of these as possible. But I really wish I still had the ability to book the Radisson Martinique or that Club Carlson had more hotels in NYC.
Didn't consider the "last night free" issue in my earlier post, but you are correct, this would be the easiest devaluation for CC. Last night would still be free, but you'd have to spend a minimum of three nights to get the benefit instead of the current two. Still a benefit, just not the current benefit.

So, same advice as earlier. If you're going to buy, book your trips now. Especially if you're banking on the two-night combo.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Where's the 75% bonus? When I follow the link in the OP, I don't see anything about that bonus. It appears that $280 yields 40,000 points.

It's still before midnight EDT on June 19, the alleged cutoff. Did they pull the plug early, or am I looking for a more explicit offer that's actually hidden somewhere?

70,000 points for $280 looks a lot more attractive that just 40,000.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Oh, it was 11:59 AM (noon) not 11:59 PM (midnight)
Whoops. Looks like I missed this one. Oh well, it'll probably come around again soon enough.

I will be curious to hear if folks get the 10X - those of you who tried, please let us know.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.