Wiki Posts
Search

Problems at Radisson Spitsbergen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:40 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Yes. Wrote to the Sysselmannen. Waiting for an answer. There was no time for a formal complaint on the spot, due to departure of our flight. Can we make a "formal" report, even from a distance?
Yes you can.

§ 223.Anmeldelse av straffbare handlinger skjer til politiet. Er anmeldelsen muntlig, skal mottakeren skrive den ned, datere den og om mulig få anmelderens underskrift.
Anmeldelse kan også skje til påtalemyndigheten.

(Section 223: Criminal acts shall be reported to the police. If the report is made orally the person who receives it, shall write it down, date it, and if possible obtain the signature of the person making the report. A report may also be made to the prosectuting authority)

(From Straffeprosessloven. (The Criminal Procedure Act): http://www.ub.uio.no/ujur/ulovdata/l...22-025-eng.pdf )

But refusing to pay the hotel bill because an employee of the hotel commited a criminal misdemeanour against you, implies a more feudal society than Norway in general, and Svalbard in particular. (Svalbard is a part of Norway, but in other ways isn't. Including who live there)
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by ksu
But refusing to pay the hotel bill because an employee of the hotel commited a criminal misdemeanour against you, implies a more feudal society than Norway in general, and Svalbard in particular.
I thought the Sysselmann was the Lord of the manor for the whole place, so to speak.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks ksu, once more, for the very good information.

Just one correction:

Originally Posted by ksu
But refusing to pay the hotel bill because an employee of the hotel commited a criminal misdemeanour against you, implies...
The idea is not to refuse payment. It is to sue the hotel group for damages in the US, at the seat of the credit card & the hotel's stock listing.

On the grounds that the GM, although writing a weak apology, endorses the aggressive staff behaviour implicitly. (Can't write his exact words here, but the tone is shocking.)

Which takes the individual failure to a systematic & corporate level.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is no general legal requirement to have managers on duty on-site.
At this "best" hotel of the island, 4 stars, there may be more than just legal requirements to fulfill.

Also, if the hotel has no chain-of-command and no procedures in place, this does become a legal problem if and when something goes wrong: fire evacuation, polar bear walking in, criminal occurence, ...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At this "best" hotel of the island, 4 stars, there may be more than just legal requirements to fulfill.

Also, if the hotel has no chain-of-command and no procedures in place, this does become a legal problem if and when something goes wrong: fire evacuation, polar bear walking in, criminal occurence, ...
The hotel has a manager and has procedures in place for various things. None of those require a manager-on-duty on-site 24/7.

Nordic hotel service levels tend to be tolerable to erratic but nothing extraordinarily good and consistent even at the "4*"/"4+" properties. And the further into the boonies, the more the reality of the place takes place: Svalbard isn't an oasis of high-end luxury and doesn't attract staff for such -- and it has recruitment/retention issues even when it comes to more fundamental local population-servicing needs.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The hotel has a manager and has procedures in place for various things.
At the Radisson Spitsbergen I have reasons to doubt this.

Nordic hotel service levels tend to be tolerable to erratic but nothing extraordinarily good and consistent even at the "4*"/"4+" properties. And the further into the boonies, the more the reality of the place takes place: Svalbard isn't an oasis of high-end luxury and doesn't attract staff for such -- and it has recruitment/retention issues even when it comes to more fundamental local population-servicing needs.
Well said.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Many thanks ksu, once more, for the very good information.

Just one correction:

The idea is not to refuse payment. It is to sue the hotel group for damages in the US, at the seat of the credit card & the hotel's stock listing.

On the grounds that the GM, although writing a weak apology, endorses the aggressive staff behaviour implicitly. (Can't write his exact words here, but the tone is shocking.)

Which takes the individual failure to a systematic & corporate level.
From a Nordic perspective, a law suit seems a bit heavy-handed (admittedly I don't have all the facts) and would have very little to zero chance in the Norwegian courts.

I also have doubts whether a US court would have jurisdiction: the incident occurred in Norway, Rezidor is domiciled in Sweden, listed on the Stockholm stock exchange, and the headquarters is in Brussels. Furthermore, the Rezidor Group has no properties in the US.

Then again, I am not a lawyer.

Cheers,
T.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thalassa
From a Nordic perspective, a law suit seems a bit heavy-handed
Nemo me impune lacessit ("No one provokes me with impunity")

I also have doubts whether a US court would have jurisdiction: the incident occurred in Norway, Rezidor is domiciled in Sweden, listed on the Stockholm stock exchange, and the headquarters is in Brussels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlson...or_Hotel_Group

Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is an international hotel company, with headquarters in Minneapolis and Brussels, Belgium.

Traded as OMX: REZT
(NASDAQ OMX Group, NY)

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Apr 30, 2014 at 4:05 am
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Nemo me impune lacessit ("No one provokes me with impunity"))
That is your call and I have no beef with it. I am not sure what the Scots have to do with this, though

Carlson owns 50.3% of Rezidor, but Rezidor operates as a separate company and it is listed in Stockholm (OMX is owned by NASDAQ, to be sure).

But as said before, I am not a lawyer and will not speculate any more in this matter.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
T.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Best of luck.
Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:41 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Will Fly Småland
I thought the Sysselmann was the Lord of the manor for the whole place, so to speak.
Sysselmannen certainly has wider privileges than the usual Fylkesmann. Even though Svalbard has a symbolic local democracy, the real governance is rather old-fashioned!

For this purpose, he is head of local police, though! And most sysselmenn are lawyers, usually former heads of police (Politimester)
Old May 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I'm just pondering the fact that there's a Radisson property on Svalbard.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:18 pm

Why not? Mining tourists is much more lucrative than digging coal.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: SK*Gold
Sorry, can't satisfy you there. Legal relevance ...
Sorry, I don't buy that. Lawyers in high profile cases advise their clients not to say anything without their permission because they want to control the narrative and they don't want their clients saying stupid things that may hurt them, like the truth.

It's dubious that you have a civil case here, let alone a high profile one. Your "case" won't be prejudiced if you explain honestly and even handedly what happened. The fact that you won't explain what happened raises doubts in my mind about your claim.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amexpat
Sorry, I don't buy that. Lawyers in high profile cases advise their clients not to say anything without their permission
Until here, your observation is correct.

The victim is still looking for a suitable lawyer for a damages case in the US (NY).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.