Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Carlson Account Compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

This morning I received an email from Club Carlson that my account information has been updated. The thing is, I wasn't the one who updated it. I logged into my account using my account number and password, and noticed the email was changed to [email protected] (not my email). I immediately changed the email back and assigned a stronger password. I phoned in Club Carlson and they told me that this was the third call they received this morning about it. For the others, they closed their account and opened a new account. Since I have the Club Carlson Visa, they suggested I call US Bank and have them close my old account and open a new one. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Mine is unchanged.
I hope this is an isolated incident
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:05 am

I got the same e-mail from CC. I went into my account to check, but by coincidence my status had changed from gold to silver right around that time. I assumed that was what the e-mail was in regards to, and my points were still all there. Yesterday I went back in and my points had been cashed out for paypal and my e-mail address had been changed. CC reset my e-mail address, and returned my points this morning. I won't let something like this get past me again.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deo64
I got the same e-mail from CC. I went into my account to check, but by coincidence my status had changed from gold to silver right around that time. I assumed that was what the e-mail was in regards to, and my points were still all there. Yesterday I went back in and my points had been cashed out for paypal and my e-mail address had been changed. CC reset my e-mail address, and returned my points this morning. I won't let something like this get past me again.
That's terrible. I'm glad Club Carlson was able to help you out.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

To me this sounds like phishing... did the first mail really came from Club Carlson?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:44 pm

My CC account has been compromised as well. Someone used 52k of my points to order two Toys R Us gift cards worth $75. My email address had been changed to an unknown one.

The order date for the gift cards was today's and I tried calling their loyalty program but their offices are closed until Monday. I immediately sent them an email in the hope that they will be able to stop the fraudulent order. Changed the profile back to my email address and changed my password. Very upsetting.

Please keep an eye on your accounts.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now I cannot log into CCarlson so I wonder if they are fixing some securities there due to accounts compromised
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:26 am

@FFlash

Same thing happened to me. I couldn't log in because the hacker had changed my email address in my profile to his. Try logging in using your CC number instead of your email and your known password. Once through, be sure to check your profile and see if your email address was changed. If it was, change it back to yours and also be sure to change your password. Hopefully, your points are still there.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I had this happen to three hotel accounts back in January and they took points from all three (Club Carlson, Hilton and IC). Club Carlson was immediately on the ball and resolved the situation and deposited the points back in my account within a week. As for Hilton...I'm still waiting on my points and the people I have talked to have been completely useless! IC was so bad that it took them 2 week to block the account and the person actually made a second withdrawl of points before they got on the ball and changed my account number.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Flying Blue, Korean Air
I just discovered my account was hacked to the tune of 109K. Not happy.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading this thread, I logged in my account to check My Profile - it seems one cannot change the profile online as the form is grayed out, and it says to contact customer service for profile update.

Not sure if this is a new security measure Club Carlson has put in place. I wonder how the customer service could verify the caller is the rightful account owner?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Happy
Reading this thread, I logged in my account to check My Profile - it seems one cannot change the profile online as the form is grayed out, and it says to contact customer service for profile update.

Not sure if this is a new security measure Club Carlson has put in place. I wonder how the customer service could verify the caller is the rightful account owner?
I noticed this as well; it's interesting because NOTHING can be changed online at this point, including points/miles earning preferences and communication preferences.

The odd thing is that if one's account has been hacked, you would think that any verification questions customer service would ask could be answered based on what appears in the online account (i.e. address, e-mail, last stays)
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
They also ask for information that doesn't exist... for a recent attempt to transfer points to my spouse, I was asked to provide the profile's phone number. I tried my landline, and mobile, to no avail.

Confused, I checked my online account, only to realise that there isn't even a field where I would/could have provided my phone number... o.0
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 pm
Company Representative - Radisson Hotels & Club Carlson

Dear FlyerTalk Community,

We have discovered some instances of unauthorized access to Club Carlson accounts. We’re currently working on the issue, and have made systems changes to increase security. We will provide more information as we investigate the situation. If you feel as if there has been suspicious activity on your account, please call us at +1 (888) 288 8889.

Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Received an email from CC this morning as well saying that my email address and/or password has been recently changed and that a redemption was made in my account. After reading FT, I managed to login to my account using my CC number (as the email address got changed). Phoned CC and the CSR changed my email address back to the original one. As of right now, I have my password reset to something completely different and am waiting for my points to be re-deposited back.

It was just for 7,000 points ($10 gift card) luckily!

as a result, I also changed all my hotel and airline login credentials this morning which was a much bigger hassle

a big ^ for CC though for their ability to react and detect potential fraudulent activities!

I should add that I've not stayed at a CC property since 2010 (and probably haven't logged in to my account for quite a while and never on public computer) and my CC account information is not used anywhere on any other program tracking website online. I guess the hacker probably managed to generate the password randomly? I can't think of any other way as my password can't be guessed otherwise. A bit confused.

Last edited by standardgirl; Apr 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.