Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award night at the May Fair - status helps?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Award night at the May Fair - status helps?

Hi everybody,

Needed a 1-night stay in London and booked a standard award at the May Fair.
(mostly to try out the hotel before the price goes up).

I have a Gold status (the hard way), and I was wondering: should I expect any benefits on an award stay at this property? Did anybody get an upgrade based on his Gold status?

I thought about contacting the hotel to ask if they could offer me a paid-upgrade for that award night. Does anybody have some experience with that?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions were answered many times in the past - I did try the search first.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:36 am

I don't have any experience at this hotel but if all else fails, just do what they do in Vegas: Put a 10 pound bill between your credit card and passport when you slip it to the clerk, then ask if they have any complimentary upgrades!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
If you have the visa card, book it for two nights... same price

I just booked it for Aug... 25,000 points per night... sounds like a deal to me
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltahater
If you have the visa card, book it for two nights... same price

I just booked it for Aug... 25,000 points per night... sounds like a deal to me
I do not have their visa, as I'm not an American, but anyway I'll be in London for only one night.

Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Got an upgrade as a Gold on points. Bigger room with a jacuzzi tub with a TV in the bathroom. That's it though. No breakfast. Nice hotel

I requested an upgrade prior to arrival via email
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Upgraded from the standard (superior) room to deluxe as a Gold on a reward stay. Really wish I was eligible for the US Visa card - so annoying not to get the extra night free that you guys can get!!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:43 pm

They offered to upgrade me confirmed in advance from an award standard room to a family room for 100 pounds per night. Didn't take them up on it because I could get other family rooms in London for straight points.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:04 pm

Upgraded in Oct. with comp breakfast. Used pts to book 3 nts, 1 free.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Encouraging to see the comp. upgrades, even one free breakfast (pretty rare). Looking forward to our visit next Sep/Oct. Six consecutive nights thanks to the Carlton CC the DW & I were fortunate enough to receive.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:09 am

Stayed there in May, I believe I got a welcome gift (chocolate truffles?) but no room upgrade. However, I needed two beds so that may have prevented an upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
A few years ago, they had no idea what Concierge status was. They thought I worked there....

No upgrades and had to educate them on my benefits.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
This looks to be about the best thread option to ask this question so here it goes...

Planning award nights at the May Fair for late next summer. The two bed options offered are "1 dbl bed" or "2 twin beds". I searched across a variety of dates and those were the only two options available via points. For any couple visiting on point a is there really no better option these? Not even a queen bed? I'm sure I can call/email in advance and pay a little extra for a king bed but it really feels like a shakedown when you're not give a reasonable points option.

To anyone that's stayed here - is this just a language issue that I Goulding be concerned with or am I really going to have to negotiate?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
This looks to be about the best thread option to ask this question so here it goes...

Planning award nights at the May Fair for late next summer. The two bed options offered are "1 dbl bed" or "2 twin beds". I searched across a variety of dates and those were the only two options available via points. For any couple visiting on point a is there really no better option these? Not even a queen bed? I'm sure I can call/email in advance and pay a little extra for a king bed but it really feels like a shakedown when you're not give a reasonable points option.

To anyone that's stayed here - is this just a language issue that I Goulding be concerned with or am I really going to have to negotiate?
Do you have Gold status via the CC card (US Bank)? We had the card and received a one-step room upgrade last year. I'm pretty sure we had twin beds. This hotel is loath to give too much away. You'll be lucky to get a King or Queen bed. You might try emailing the hotel in advance: http://www.radissonblu-edwardian.com...j-8lt/gbmayfai

You'll love the area. We walked to Buck. Palace and took the tube to more distant locations. I like *bux and was happy to find TWO w/in 2 blocks. Also nice to have a grocery store right across the street. Enjoy!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by philemer
Do you have Gold status via the CC card (US Bank)? We had the card and received a one-step room upgrade last year. I'm pretty sure we had twin beds. This hotel is loath to give too much away. You'll be lucky to get a King or Queen bed. You might try emailing the hotel in advance: http://www.radissonblu-edwardian.com...j-8lt/gbmayfai

You'll love the area. We walked to Buck. Palace and took the tube to more distant locations. I like *bux and was happy to find TWO w/in 2 blocks. Also nice to have a grocery store right across the street. Enjoy!
Sounds good. Thanks for the info and advice. ^
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:04 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by fireworksboy

I have redeemed award rooms with this property (which I happen to like very much) twice in the past year. They happen to have an upgrade price list, if you desire to confirm an upgrade in advance. I did this once, for a family room. The other time, it wasn't necessary as I wanted the two twin beds.

Personally, I feel that the double bed room would be adequate for a couple.

I did inquire about a smoking room recently (on an award stay); but they only had them as king deluxe. I would assume, this upgrade price for king deluxe would be consistent for a non-smoking upgrade. (though, this upgrade was a balcony room) No idea, if they would provide this upgrade "comp" to a elite (gold) member. Perhaps, that is a bit YMMV.

Please note that you are currently booked into a Twin Superior Room (non-smoking). Should you wish to have a smoking room, we can offer you an upgrade to a King Deluxe Smoking Room with balcony at a supplement charge of Ł40 per night. Please note that the King Deluxe Room comes with a size bed.
Please let us know if you wish to go ahead with the upgrade.
We look forward to welcoming you to The May Fair Hotel London and for any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.