Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson BLU 1919 vs Radisson BLU Saga (Reykavik, Iceland)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD

I am looking to travel here in Summer 2014. The dates I am looking for the 1919 is currently only offering redemption at 66,000 points. Now is this property worth that many points per night or am I ok with the BLUE saga at 38,000 points per night?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:10 am

I suggest the Park inn for onky 9k points
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:55 am
Suspended

i stayed at Radisson Blu 1919 and it's a great property

the Saga has not only a very weird manga decoration but the overall property doesn't deserve a 4-star rating

the 2 hotels i really like there, are the RB 1919 and the Icelandair hotel Marina, very cosy
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macaron95
i stayed at Radisson Blu 1919 and it's a great property

the Saga has not only a very weird manga decoration but the overall property doesn't deserve a 4-star rating

the 2 hotels i really like there, are the RB 1919 and the Icelandair hotel Marina, very cosy
But do you think the 1919 is worth the 66k points? I could do a few nights at saga and then the rest at 1919 when the price goes back to 44k
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

i actually don't know how much are 66K worth because CC is not a program i'm familiar with

so last year, i paid for my stay and was really happy with it
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
I suggest the Park inn for onky 9k points
That's where I stayed in Iceland - it was nothing special, but it got the job done considering we weren't in the hotel much, and at 9k points (with the last night being free) - it was a steal!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
That's where I stayed in Iceland - it was nothing special, but it got the job done considering we weren't in the hotel much, and at 9k points (with the last night being free) - it was a steal!
Location wise, how far out of town is it?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:52 am
Suspended

it's not really out of town, but a bit far away from the city center

RB 1919 is nearby the marina and just a few steps away from the main street
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:58 am
Community Director Emerita

We recently stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919. It's in a terrific location, ideal for tourists. We could walk to a wide range of restaurants, some museums, and their big concert hall where we saw How to Become Icelandic in 60 Minutes. The well known Bćrins Bestu hot dog stand is immediately across the street. We particularly enjoyed our meal at Forretta Barinn, where we had a four course meal for roughly $50.

We arrived about 1am and got the last room in the house. It was a suite on their top floor, the 5th floor. This was a large room with a sitting area as you entered the room, then three big steps up to the area that had the bed and desk. The hotel has a mansard roof, and the windows really are skylights. The lack of an external view bothered us. We asked to be moved the following day and were happier with a junior suite on the 3rd floor.

Parking was easily available, free on Sunday, and paid during the day other days of the week. There was both onstreet parking as well as a paid lot across the street.

I had used points to book a business room. It included breakfast. The room where the food was set out served as a very pleasant bar at night. Our gold amenity was bottles of water.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I stayed here this summer so figured I should throw my 2 cents into this. (BLU 1919)

We were here in the summer and got a Junior Suite on the second floor with Points and a paid upgrade. The room was large for European standards with no fancy amenities (not sure any room in the hotel has?) My welcome gift for being gold was 2 Pieces of pineapple dipped in Chocolate.

As many have said before, location is great but is very very loud at night. Nothing the ear plugs didn't take care of. Breakfast which was included with the room was great and filling every morning.

Just a few cons now. We toured everyday and never returned before 3:30 PM. For all 6 days, we had to request having our room made up. They were full (so they claimed but didn't look like it) but that is still not much of an excuse.
Only other issue, which may seem silly, was the lack of TV offerings. Besides CNN International and the BBC, there were no other english channels that worked in our room. This is a business hotel so you would think they would offer a few more. The WIFI was super though.

Last edited by Playsmart; Sep 22, 2014 at 8:46 am Reason: added hotel name
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
I suggest the Park inn for only 9k points
@WORLDWIDE TRAVELER: Very sweet price, but can't find the Park Inn... ? Thanks.

@Playsmart: Which one again? Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Firewind
@WORLDWIDE TRAVELER: Very sweet price, but can't find the Park Inn... ? Thanks.
According to a one week old review on TripAdvisor, it has been rebranded.

"We had a spot of trouble locating this hotel in Reykjavik, as they had a recent name-change. It is now the Hotel Island, and not the Park Inn anymore. "
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thanks - again - SanDiego1K. Thought it technically might have been in a different town.

Funny (to me) side story: A Swedish friend once told me he and his family were going to be away on holiday. "Where?" I asked. "Island." "What island?" ... Etc. ... Entirely true.

Last edited by Firewind; Sep 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
For location (convenience) I think the 1919, the Hilton and the Borg rank best in Reykjavik.

I stayed at the Saga and it was OK, if somewhat uninspired. Walking to town / back to the hotel was possible but realistically a taxi ride was a much better choice. As SanDiego1K pointed out, the 1919 is in an ideal location for tourism.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
I also recommend 1919. They also have 2for1 rates available. Once I did Nor1 upgrade to a suite. Not worth it. It was just one large room with same type of bathroom. Breakfast is small but cozy. As a gold I didn't get it free. Next time as a Concierge it was given to me for free.

Stayed one night in Hilton on points. It is by far better hotel but kinda remote. I enjoyed free parking, great lounge and spa area there. Outside warm bowl was particularly enjoyable. Lounge with all the booze free during happy hour including cognac available is a major advantage for some.

Hope to come back to 1919 or Hilton some time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.