Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Massive, unannounced devaluation of airline conversion rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I had been Gold with goldpoints plus and have been Concierge since the programme revamped. I am re-qualifying the Concierge status for 2014 soon.

This is the most disgusting unannounced change I have ever experienced amongst all loyalty programmes I was/am involved in.

I am ending my 6/7-year loyalty to this hotel group. Good bye, Club Carlson.
Well, it's happened before, in fact in another program that you belong to. But I don't know if it affected peope outside of North America that time.

Years ago (less than a decade but more than half a decade ago), Priority Club (now IHG Rewards) had "special" transfer rates such as 67k PC points to 25k miles in certain airlines (including AA), which they called "redeeming for a domestic flight" (but it really just deposited miles in your account, in the amount needed for a restricted domestic mainland US flight award). They had other similar (but not exactly the same) transfer ratios for 35k miles (which they called Hawaii awards), etc. This was all a "semi-hidden" alternative to the normal 5:1 transfers (you had to scroll way down on the transfer page to find these "specail" transfers).

(I don't know whether these "special" Priorirty Club transfer offers back then were available for those outside the US.)

Obviously, anyone who accumulated enough Priority Club points to do these bigger transfers, and knew about them, would use the bigger transfers at about a 2.7:1 ratio.

But one day, they suddenly disappeared, with no advance warning.

And that's close to what happened here. There's only modest devalution from 2000 : 250 to 2000 : 200. The big devaluation is with what was previously a varying transfer ratio that depended on how much you were transferring. Now they've made all transfers similar to what small transfers were before.

I realize that for those used to look at it as "I choose the big transfer only", it is about a 2:1 devluation.

But apparently program after program wants to simplify their transfers, and have only one rate. And Club Carlson couldn't justify making the big-transfer rate the only rate.

However, what really irks me is that they could have stayed at 2000 : 250 (8:1), and then they could have simply billed it as creating one single transfer ratio. But they just had to go the extra mile and devalue even the lowest previous transfer ratio. So now any claim they could make about doing this it have only one single transfer ratio would ring hollow.

I don't have any skin in the game, though. I never intended to transfer my CC points to airlines in the first place. Since they don't expire, I don't need a "backup" use for them; I'll just use them when I have the opportunity to use them on hotel stays, at whatever value they may be at the time. I earned them at the most ridiculous rate possible (like 44k or 50k for a one-night stay!). I don't have an expectation that if I wait to use them, they'll have an equally high redemption value forever.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Were people really transfering that much to airlines? The old rate was also not very great.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
In comparison with the value as a hotel redemption, I agree. 100,000 points at 18k miles or two night in London or Paris? No contest.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Unannounced drastic changes like this are never good. I'm lucky that I took advantage of the US Air promo a few months back, and got rid of my modest stash. I'd have never done it if not for the upcoming AA merger.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, it's happened before, in fact in another program that you belong to. But I don't know if it affected peope outside of North America that time.
Thanks sdsearch for the information.

I was not aware of the change as I only transfer multi 100,000 goldpoints to airlines. I have never used goldpoints for hotel stays as I rather choose stay/night credits. Radisson/Park Inn/Park Plaza are generally quite affordable.

I have loads of starpoints as well, I wonder if I should move those points to airlines ASAP... SPG might follow CC...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Thanks sdsearch for the information.

I was not aware of the change as I only transfer multi 100,000 goldpoints to airlines. I have never used goldpoints for hotel stays as I rather choose stay/night credits. Radisson/Park Inn/Park Plaza are generally quite affordable.

I have loads of starpoints as well, I wonder if I should move those points to airlines ASAP... SPG might follow CC...
Airlines in the US have been raising their mileage prices charged to (at least non-credit card) program partners. I suspect that will increasingly hit SPG customers in more ways than has already occurred a bit.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Were people really transfering that much to airlines? The old rate was also not very great.
If you were going for the WN Companion Pass, it wasn't too bad.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Oh well...missed the boat on that one for a Delta transfer. Might as well keep for a hotel stay. Bad public relations to sneak up on customers like that but what goes around comes around so my motivation to book with them is devalued as well. You've gotta wonder about Marketing people sometimes. Like other programs this kind of bad press has to catch up at some point...at least advance notice as a courtesy would be appropriate. Then people have a fair chance to decide on their investment instead of feeling like they've been robbed.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:52 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Just to put this into perspective: A few minutes ago, I received an email from Hertz Gold Rewards that, along with mentioning some future improvements, states the following (bolding mine):

"We also constantly strive to maintain industry-leading reward levels and availability. However, in light of rising costs, we find it necessary to implement our first reward redemption point increase since 2008. Beginning October 1, 2013, point redemption levels for Rewards will increase a modest 10–15% in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. This will allow us to continue providing both the quality and quantity of reward options our members have come to value and appreciate."

3-month advance notice. And I can say that I don't feel any resentment toward Hertz.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:12 pm
Suspended

except for transfering the min to get a grand slam hit a few yrs, I never even thought of converting my pts to miles. I saw it as not enough bang out of it to make it worthwhile .My plans are to use my pts in Europe I dont need a 6* Hotel, just a nice and decent one and to save the big bucks from having to pay for anything else

I dont know of any Country that announced OK convert our currency to Euros or Dollars since in 3 weeks we are gonna devalue our courrency by 35%. There may have been some talk it will happen but thats about it.

Lesson is dont expect any announcements when they decide its time for Catagory enhancement
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
bye bye club carlson. this is totally unacceptable.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
Originally Posted by PeterT1953
While investigating, I did notice that the Paris Champs Elysees hotel in Rue Monceau is only offering rooms at 75000 a night. THis seems to apply for all of the dates I looked at from July 2013 to May 2014, so I do not know if this is a taste of things to come.
I was looking to book this hotel and noticed for the dates I was looking at that 1 person priced at 50,000 points and 2 persons priced at 75,000. I don't understand why that would matter, even in Europe.

I'm thinking of just booking the room for 50,000 points even though it will be for 2 persons. Any reason why I would have a problem in doing such?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by glader
I was looking to book this hotel and noticed for the dates I was looking at that 1 person priced at 50,000 points and 2 persons priced at 75,000. I don't understand why that would matter, even in Europe.

I'm thinking of just booking the room for 50,000 points even though it will be for 2 persons. Any reason why I would have a problem in doing such?
Does the room rate details explicitly note that there is only bedding for one person in the room (i.e. a maximum occupancy of 1)?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the room rate details explicitly note that there is only bedding for one person in the room (i.e. a maximum occupancy of 1)?
No. It books into the "Classic Room" which can be booked as a revenue rate for 1 or 2 persons. It is their standard 25 square meter room with queen bed.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold

I was going to transfer 1.4 mil points to 250k miles next week for a teavel reservation. Now I need 2.5 mil. That just makes me sick. I have about 3 mil left. But this is just not a good rate to transfer. At 1.4 it was already on the edgde of being profitable.

I guess I will spend them all on 50k properties now... And leave the program.

Any good chains to match to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.