Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

A non-upgrade upgrade at Radisson Blu Champs Élysées

A non-upgrade upgrade at Radisson Blu Champs Élysées

Old May 29, 2013, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Angry A non-upgrade upgrade at Radisson Blu Champs Élysées

Am here at Radisson Blu Champs Élysées. Yesterday at check in was informed.
by the receptionist that I was upgraded to business class room including breakfast. Now I know I'd booked with points and as gold have no breakfast benefit, so it was a nice surprise. Come this morning, when I usually sleep in, got up to have breakfast and was embarrassed as the waitress loudly tells me (and eager mom) in front of the other patrons that my room was upgraded and not booked directly as BC so no breakfast privileges. Then she grabbed the menus and walked away as if I wouldn't order anyway!.

I'd never heard of that - isn't the point of an "upgrade" and a BC benefit to have breakfast? Went to the front desk to clear up as I didn't even expect breakfast but it was the check in woman who clearly stated that I'd have all the benefits of a BC room. The man at front desk condescendingly spelled out that I'd booked on points and as a courtesy they "upgraded" me to a more spacious room (not!) because I'd booked two beds. But no other benefit applies. I incredulously asked him what the standard room size is if I'm supposedly in a bigger room. He just replied "it's smaller."

Anyone had the same experience? Never been made to feel like 2nd class citizen twice just for hotel breakfast! My skin is thick enough but my poor mom wanted to run out!
Old May 29, 2013, 2:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a rather common practice to upgrade golds to a business room, but almost never with breakfast included.....
Seems like bad communication at checkin or maybe you made the assumption that breakfast was included?
Old May 29, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold
If I were you, I would take the name of the persons who treated you like that and write a review at one of those travel websites... And contact CC as well. That is outrageous enough for a common customers, for someone that must have their status and frequent business recognized, absolutely not acceptable.

If you don't get any compensation for the humiliation, at least they will think twice before abusing the next one.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:02 am

Whenever I was gold, and got upgraded to a Business Room, I got the included free breakfast. But I suppose they could argue breakfast is tied to the rate, not the room. Regardless, their attitude was totally unacceptable. They'll certainly throw some points at you if you complain via the contact form.
I'd ask for a full award night's points at that hotel (50K).
Old May 29, 2013, 9:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's simply not a benefit..... Not even with a room upgrade. So there's not much to complain about. And it's Paris.... What you and I might consider rude is just common behaviour there.

Just be glad you got upgraded.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by murilix
If I were you, I would take the name of the persons who treated you like that and write a review at one of those travel websites... And contact CC as well. That is outrageous enough for a common customers, for someone that must have their status and frequent business recognized, absolutely not acceptable.

If you don't get any compensation for the humiliation, at least they will think twice before abusing the next one.
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's simply not a benefit..... Not even with a room upgrade. So there's not much to complain about. And it's Paris.... What you and I might consider rude is just common behaviour there.

Just be glad you got upgraded.
^^^
Old May 29, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I don't think location is a reason to excuse rude behaviour or poorly trained hotel staff who don't know the rules within their own property. The OP's complaint isn't about not receiving breakfast.. it is about being told one thing and being given another and treated badly in the process. I would tweet the info to @RadissonBlu
Old May 29, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I don't think location is a reason to excuse rude behaviour or poorly trained hotel staff who don't know the rules within their own property. The OP's complaint isn't about not receiving breakfast.. it is about being told one thing and being given another and treated badly in the process. I would tweet the info to @RadissonBlu
You're right, but as i saw, unfortunately, in Paris some rude way to treat hotel guests is particularly diffused! And i stayed in Paris dozens times..and it's sad because Paris is one of the most wonderful cities in the world!

Anyway, i would complain officially with CC customer service and with the hotel manager (e.g. sending a fax to the Hotel manager!) explaining the fact and how much rude the employee has been!
Old May 29, 2013, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I don't think location is a reason to excuse rude behaviour or poorly trained hotel staff who don't know the rules within their own property
I only see a miscommunication at check-in here... The rest of the staff just seem to have repeated what is the general rule. Possible room upgrade but no club access nor free breakfast for golds.

And "rude" is somewhat in the eye of he beholder. Paris is somewhat like New York.... Smaller rooms and more "rude" people than is the case in most other cities. So location is a factor in knowing what to expect, althought mostly the behaviour isn't really rude in Paris, more like snooty :-).

And also in this post was a complaint about the upgraded room not being bigger... Again, this is Paris. So the business class room was probably bigger, but most likely still on the small side.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:21 am

There wouldn't have been any problem at all if the staff was well trained and competent. The hotel or CC should make the situation right, probably by refunding a good part or all of the points. You can't write off incompetence as part of the culture, and I'm tired of receiving absolutely incompetently crap service in France and being told they're just like that. And I don't mean all of France is like that, I've had plenty of pleasant experiences, it's just when things go wrong they write it off as though it's just how things always are.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
There wouldn't have been any problem at all if the staff was well trained and competent. The hotel or CC should make the situation right, probably by refunding a good part or all of the points. You can't write off incompetence as part of the culture, and I'm tired of receiving absolutely incompetently crap service in France and being told they're just like that. And I don't mean all of France is like that, I've had plenty of pleasant experiences, it's just when things go wrong they write it off as though it's just how things always are.
^
Old May 29, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's a rather common practice to upgrade golds to a business room, but almost never with breakfast included.....
Seems like bad communication at checkin or maybe you made the assumption that breakfast was included?
Yes it was bad staff communication and no assumption. In fact I'd asked twice as I knew golds do not have breakfast benefit. Just didn't know that an "upgrade" would not include all that's listed in their BC ad in the room. (I usually stay at Hyatts and their upgrade to club level includes the lounge access.) There would be no issue at all today if the hotel wants to only give the customer the bed type they had reserved originally then they should 1) not call it an upgrade, 2) not have the staff list benefits of the upgrade like breakfast, movie, etc., and 3) take away the BC ad in the room.

I quite like the yummy Eric Kayser pastries I got today and I don't miss hotel breakfasts at all. What I took offense are the rudeness the staff displayed and how badly they dealt with a situation that they could've easily diffused with a simple sincere apology of miscommunication, instead of treating me like a beggar for something I didn't deserve. And I can tell rudeness vs. regular city people attitude from visiting Paris and New York frequently. I also know that rooms in Paris are small (although it was quite spacious at the Hilton ADT), it's just hard to imagine a standard room being even smaller.

Update: We returned to the hotel after all day being out and another front desk agent somehow recognized me and apologized for this morning's confusion. He was friendly and stated that tomorrow's breakfast would be included. Although I will probably pass up on the offer with the bad taste I still have from this morning. Moving to Park Hyatt tomorrow anyway. Chose this hotel for the location, but will not return with the staff attitudes here.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Raise a ruckus with the GM and get the waitress and the second front desk jerk in a little hot water to teach them better manners.

It seems the first clerk likely made a mistake, but the others need to be taught better customer skills. Doesn't necessarily surprise me in a big city like Paris, though.

Edit: Just saw your last addition. Did they give you something written to guarantee you wouldn't be treated to the same arrogance by tomorrow's waitress?

Last edited by Doc Savage; May 29, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
A rude Parisian waitress? Can't believe it.

Raise a ruckus at the front desk and get the waitress in a little hot water to teach her better manners.
It appears she took after the front desk this morning!
Old May 29, 2013, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Edit: Just saw your last addition. Did they give you something written to guarantee you wouldn't be treated to the same arrogance by tomorrow's waitress?
Haha...you're right about having it in writing, but think my mom's a bit embarrassed and won't step into the restaurant again, so we'll catch up on zzzz instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.