Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Martinique New York City

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Filled out an online questionnaire from Javier Rosenberg, Chief Operating Officer, Radisson, and received an email response from Martinique GM Susan Anselona thanking me specifically for each compliment, and apologizing specifically for my issue.
Do you happen to recall her email address?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ucfGemini01
Do you happen to recall her email address?
No, I'm afraid I don't. Best of luck,ucfGemini01.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firewind
Just completed a free three-night "Gold" reservation. I love the location. Right on Broadway, just off of Herald Square, a block from Macy's, a block from the Empire State Building, subway literally right outside the door. The hotel itself exudes old, but still on the good side of the "charming" line, IMO. The hotel is very heavily patronized by international flight crews. At several times, there were dozens in the lobby, arriving or awaiting their transportation, and they were lively conversing in the breakfast buffet room. I thought the breakfast buffet was fine, ample and kept replenished. The waitstaff really hustled to keep everyone in coffee, tea and juice.

I was not recognized as Gold at check-in, so I politely inquired about it: "Is this in as a Gold reservation?" The FD person seemed mildly surprised when she looked more closely at the screen. "Oh! Welcome! Here, I'll give you a nice room with a view on the 11th floor." (It looked across 32nd Street.) (I don't hope for a view in New York.) After waiting to see if it were offered, I asked if there were a breakfast privilege. She said she had to ask, and went in the back. "My manager gives permission." I received a voucher for the breakfast buffet on the mezzanine for one morning. I asked about two more. "Oh, of course!" Then, "Oh, here!" And she brought up a box of four chocolate truffles from under the counter. We were both genuinely pleasant the whole encounter.

The room was fine, modern, plump mattress, newish sheets, pillows, duvet cover, updated small bathroom with old tile and tub, very nice towels.

One huge problem: The central spiral staircase right across from the elevators is NOT a fire escape. At every level, the "fire exit" door from the elevator lobby opens all the way across the "escape". In the event, it will be awful. Fortunately, the hotel is fully fire sprinklered. I rarely talk about this here, but it matters absolutely in this case.

I definitely will go back. But I ask again: Should Radisson have a Gold Standard?

A tip, if you want to eat inexpensively: The Martinique is at the edge of a thriving, modern, young Korea Town on 32nd St. Many restaurants within steps. A variety of types, ranging from full service pricey to food court. A very nice dessert patisserie and cafe that's worth walking through just to look. An Asian grocery. In the food court: Several Asian traditions (sushi, ramen, Phở, rotisserie chicken, potstickers, kimchi, bobo tea, a specialty dessert place where everyone gets desserts which they put in the middle of their table and share). FWIW, I was the only grey head that I saw on the whole block...
AF/KL/AZ and other airline flight crew still use this hotel a lot. It's also popular with package tourists from South America, Brazil in particular.

Golds don't get breakfast at this property, unless they ask. And then breakfast still works as above.

If you check-in later in the day as a Gold, your odds of getting a PH1 floor room increases. Then there is the lounge access there which is bare minimum unless wanting some kind of packaged snack bars, some fruit, and/or some coffee/tea/non-alcoholic drinks -- but that lounge doesn't have breakfast but is a decent place for a quiet break.

The hotel is good with Gold late check-out IME, something that becomes rather useful since the hotel's check-out time is ordinarily 11 a.m., which is earlier than most hotels in Manhattan.

The only thing I found sort of inconvenient about this hotel is that they always seem to ask for a hotel room key upon entering unless you claim to be going to check-in.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 4, 2016 at 8:03 am
Old May 16, 2016, 8:24 pm

Does anyone know when the Radisson Martinique started changing the $15 service fee per night. I made my reservation last June and do not remember seeing it then?
Old May 22, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Ive just noticed on booking.com they have added the resort fee which was not there when I booked a few months ago.

Nothing in the emails when I booked regarding a resort fee. What is our rights here? I booked this with no mention of the resort fee.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:00 am

I checked around 4 PM in with my free night reservation for 1 night, Saturday night after the Brooklyn Half Marathon. I expected nothing, but was upgraded to PH2 room, given a breakfast voucher then left alone since I had been there before.

They asked me about late checkout but since 1 PM was no help vs. 11 AM, I just checked out and had them hold my bag right after breakfast, but it was offered.

All the notes and reviews of other posters above still apply, but I wanted to add that for reference, an Uber to LGA at 4PM on Sunday afternoon was $32.30 total through the Mid-Town Tunnel. It took 24 minutes. That was unexpectedly fast and inexpensive-ish.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:23 pm
SBT

Booked this hotel a year ago using CC points before the termination of the last free night award redemption. Cost 50,000 CC points for two nights.
Got upgraded to PH2 and a Suite along with two Breakfast vouchers (I asked for them). Great hotel, great stay. Its NYC, so things are a bit different. The buffet breakfast was excellent. Elevators worked fine. Yes, the concierge room on the 17th floor, could have some more food and drink options, but I give this hotel an A+ rating.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by pacenotes
Ive just noticed on booking.com they have added the resort fee which was not there when I booked a few months ago.

Nothing in the emails when I booked regarding a resort fee. What is our rights here? I booked this with no mention of the resort fee.
Just had an email back from the hotel they say that because I booked before the resort fee being brought in I won't be charged. Which is good to hear.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:22 am

Any recent experiences about the resort fee? I just booked 4 nights on points and I don't get any indication there is a resort fee:
Code:
Room 1 Points Redeemed
Room 1 Cost	280,000 Points 
$0.00USD
Estimated Taxes	$0.00USD
Estimated Additional Fees	$0.00USD
Total Estimated Cost
for 1 Room
280,000 Points 
$0.00USD
4x70.000 is kind of steep for that hotel, which is nothing specil, but as the nights are around $300+taxes for the time I've selected, still good value.

Any recent experiences from Concierge members?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Any recent experiences about the resort fee? I just booked 4 nights on points and I don't get any indication there is a resort fee:
Code:
Room 1 Points Redeemed
Room 1 Cost	280,000 Points 
$0.00USD
Estimated Taxes	$0.00USD
Estimated Additional Fees	$0.00USD
Total Estimated Cost
for 1 Room
280,000 Points 
$0.00USD
4x70.000 is kind of steep for that hotel, which is nothing specil, but as the nights are around $300+taxes for the time I've selected, still good value.

Any recent experiences from Concierge members?
I'm just Gold. On my award night stays using just points, I can say that they didn't charge me the "resort fee" or whatever name they may use for it. This is from stays in April, May and June.

If you have screenshots showing that the total cost doesn't include an"resort fee" (or whatever), then they shouldn't charge it and are able to remove/not apply the charge. Total additional fees of $0 is $0, so you should be good. Just check your folios before you check out.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:20 am

Thanks! Will see but insist on 0$ because that's what the booking confirmation says

Where you in general happy with the hotel?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Thanks! Will see but insist on 0$ because that's what the booking confirmation says

Where you in general happy with the hotel?
I got nice upgrades, was given the breakfast vouchers -- by asking sometimes -- even as it's not a Gold benefit, and was invited to late checkout.

The only things I don't really like about the hotel:

that they keep asking for me to show my room key to enter the hotel -- even when I'm just checking in;

that the finishing touches seem a little rough around the edges in the rooms; and

that the elevators can take a long time to board/use.

But I'm generally happy enough with the hotel that I'd use my points there -- perhaps that is because I found it better than I expected it to be when I was effectively staying there for just 25k points/night.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:31 am
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
We stayed for 3 nights over 4th of July weekend. The first two nights were free with the free night certificates given to us last year when the credit card rewards program was downgraded. No fees were charged. I was going to use my points for the 3rd night, but the daily AAA rate dropped so low a few weeks prior to our arrival that I changed to a paid night (rate was $116, but by the time they added all the taxes and fees it jumped up to over $150!!). The good news is that we received a really nice upgraded room on the 18th floor. Access to the club room only really gives you a large space with free coffee and soft drinks (never drink them anymore) and granola bars/apples. They did provide us with free breakfast coupons daily and when we asked, a free drink in the bar coupon (house wine, beer or bottles on the lower shelf drinks). Our room was comfortable and quiet for NYC. The subway is a few steps away. You can walk to Penn station, Madison Square Gardens etc. Finally, I checked my account on line this weekend and noted they gave us both points for our coupon stay nights!! This combined with the paid night netted me the 5000 bonus points for the current stay promotion. YPMV.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHG
We stayed for 3 nights over 4th of July weekend. The first two nights were free with the free night certificates given to us last year when the credit card rewards program was downgraded. No fees were charged. I was going to use my points for the 3rd night, but the daily AAA rate dropped so low a few weeks prior to our arrival that I changed to a paid night (rate was $116, but by the time they added all the taxes and fees it jumped up to over $150!!). The good news is that we received a really nice upgraded room on the 18th floor. Access to the club room only really gives you a large space with free coffee and soft drinks (never drink them anymore) and granola bars/apples. They did provide us with free breakfast coupons daily and when we asked, a free drink in the bar coupon (house wine, beer or bottles on the lower shelf drinks). Our room was comfortable and quiet for NYC. The subway is a few steps away. You can walk to Penn station, Madison Square Gardens etc. Finally, I checked my account on line this weekend and noted they gave us both points for our coupon stay nights!! This combined with the paid night netted me the 5000 bonus points for the current stay promotion. YPMV.
I believe on the apology free night cert the hotel treats the stay as a pay stay but instead of charging you, it charges the Club Carlson. We earned points and Gold bonus pts for our stay in Radisson Suites and Hotel in Sydney in early June to our surprise.

The annual free night cert from $10K spend we used at Aqua on July 5th. That night did not generate any points fwiw.

Glad to know this hotel is decent, as we are debating whether we would spend $10K on our cards to earn the annual free night cert good only in US. Looks like we could use the certs for a quick visit to NYC provided the availability is not too hard to come by.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Glad to know this hotel is decent, as we are debating whether we would spend $10K on our cards to earn the annual free night cert good only in US. Looks like we could use the certs for a quick visit to NYC provided the availability is not too hard to come by.
To report back, I was quite happy with our stay. For the 4 nights on points we were not charged the 15$ resort fee/night, only for the first night I paid cash.

Since we arrived late at night in EWR I booked the first night in the Hilton EWR and we took the train the next morning down to Pen Station and walked to the hotel to drop our bags. When I asked if the room might be ready (at 11am ) they told me, it is not since they have been fully booked and did not yet had the chance to prepare my room (which I saw as a indication I will receive a decent room). They took our bags and promised to call in an under 2 hours.

As I didn't get a call by 2:30pm and we were in the area anyway, I checked back with the front desk and they were very apologetic the room still wasn't ready, gave me two bar vouchers and told us to wait as they will prepare the room right away. 15 minutes later I was up on the top floor in a nice and spacious club level King room on the top floor.

They also comped full breakfast for all 5 days (the paid night as well as the award nights) for my girl-friend (as Concierge it should be free for me anyway) and gave 2 bar vouchers for every night.

Of course the rooms, the bar, breakfast and the hotel in general are not a high-end place but very well located in the heart of midtown making exploring the city easy (don't know how many miles I walked last week... must have been more than all of last year combined ), clean and in general enjoyable.

Definitely would come back for a decent rate (<$180), if they charge more I would probably look for another place a bit more upscale for the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.