FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Radisson International | Radisson Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radisson-international-radisson-rewards-428/)
-   -   Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radisson-international-radisson-rewards/1366813-country-inn-suites-long-island-city-new-york.html)

kyushuman Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York

I went there last week, and seeing no specific reviews of the place on here, thought I'd post my generally positive experiences there.
Paid $99+tax ($117ai) for one night, using AAA rates that were $3 cheaper than Advance Purchase, but also cancellable up to the day before, which was even more beneficial.
Considering that even complete dumps like 2* HoJos near the airports cost more than that, and Manhattan hotels were like $300-- I was thrilled with the experience. As a Gold, seemed to be "upgraded" to a corner room, but facing Crescent Street--it's VERY recommended to avoid facing Crescent, since there is a taxicab company across the street that features random car horn honking 24/7. It's not terrible, but combined with the great views available on the other side, makes Crescent Street-facing rooms pretty bad compared with the city-view.
That said, it was a pretty standard-issue Hampton/Fairfield/HIX breakfast, with a waffle machine, weird egg patties, bagels, etc. The donuts seemed to be from the Dunkin' Donuts down the street, which is of course a good thing (though I didn't try any). I went to breakfast very early, like 630AM, and it was peaceful and pleasant--but by 7AM it was filling up, I'm guessing it's a madhouse from about 8-10AM most days.
Staff at Front Desk barely looked up from their other "work" to acknowledge my presence. Gym looked useable for cardio only-- but basic and small, with newish equipment.
It's a 1-block walk from the N/R/7 subways (connecting to the M60 LGA bus at Astoria station), a 3-block walk to the F train, and a 6-block walk to the E (express to JFK). Which makes it about 15 minutes (including walk!) to 59th and Lexington, the middle of very good shopping in Manhattan. That's closer than if you were staying downtown, so the location is really excellent. Also about 45-60 minutes from both JFK and LGA using the above methods.
AAA rates were only a bit cheaper than prepaid rates, but I also like them because they're changeable/cancellable up to the day before.
Hope this helps!

maximizer Sep 5, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking of staying there over thanksgiving.

Did you stay in a regular-size room? Was there a pull-out sofa bed? We want to stay on points with two small kids, the booking engine only allows 2 adults and 1 child, any idea what's actually possible?

Did you feel safe in the neighborhood? We've never stayed anywhere but Manhattan. The location does seem very convenient.

kyushuman Sep 6, 2012 8:48 pm

I stayed in a regular room. It's on the small side; there isn't much other room, and while I don't remember exactly, I am almost positive there wasn't any room for a sofa.
Neighborhood is weird--I think it was warehouses without many residents before, and there are at least 2 taxi companies located nearby, including one across the street. I'd highly recommend a room NOT facing the street in the front of the hotel, since that's where the taxis come and go at shift change.
But I also didn't feel unsafe--there aren't many people around, but there also aren't any people hanging on streetcorners, etc. It's about 1.5 blocks from the Subway station to the hotel, maybe a 5-minute walk.
While you don't feel like you're in Manhattan when you're in LIC, it's pretty amazing to be on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in literally 10 minutes from walking out the door of the hotel--quicker than from the (sometimes cheap) Wall Street area.

ma91pmh Sep 7, 2012 5:39 am

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times. In fact I used to always stay at the Four Points up the road until last year's 50k promo and that introduced me to the Carlson brand and so I tried this place and was happy. Now I just stay at whichever is cheapest of here, Four Points or, oddly, the Aloft Harlem.

My understanding is there are larger rooms on the Crescent side which are suitable for families. They are called "studio suites". I was able to enter 2 adults 2 kids from Club Carlson website. Speaking personally we have stayed at plenty of CIS where as long as there are two beds we've done fine with our two kids towing along. These suites seem to be of the 1 king bed/sofabed variety.

Personally I have booked the "Summer Promo" which seems to last year round at this place and gets a rate similar to the AAA rate but gets you into a "city view". I have always paid in and around $100 a night which is truly exceptional for being so close to Manhattan. Consider that it's pretty much next door to a place like Packard Square which is a condo block where 1 bed apartments go for $3000 a month. It's not a terrible area. The walk from here to the subway is very short and if you are feeling fit it's actually a pretty quick walk into Manhattan over the beautiful Queensboro bridge.

You got lucky with the "upgrade" though. I always book the same kind of room but have ended up all over the place, from nice corner views of Manhattan on the top floor to the room on the Crescent side in the basement outside the gym on one stay. The front desk staff consistently look like they do not care about a thing in the world and barely say hello despite the fact I stay here maybe 2-3 times a month and have gold status.

That said this is truly a hidden gem for bargain hunters wanting somewhere reasonable to stay in NYC.

ma91pmh Sep 7, 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by maximizer (Post 19261487)
Did you stay in a regular-size room? Was there a pull-out sofa bed? We want to stay on points with two small kids, the booking engine only allows 2 adults and 1 child, any idea what's actually possible?

Did you feel safe in the neighborhood? We've never stayed anywhere but Manhattan. The location does seem very convenient.

I just re-read and saw you wanted to stay on points. No, the studio suite rooms are not bookable with points. For what it's worth, I think this place is a very bad use of points given the cash rates are so cheap. You end up coughing up 38k points for a room you can get $100.

I definitely feel safe in the neighborhood. I have friends who live nearby and they all feel the same. There are some old projects housing closer to the river but I have never felt in the least bit unsafe here, even coming back home late at night drunk on the subway. To me this area is less dubious than say the cluster of hotels near Port Authority which get pitched as "Times Square"

Jazzop Sep 7, 2012 5:56 am

I've stayed here many times. The customer service is downright rude, but they will silently upgrade elites (gold & up) about half of the time to a city-view room or slightly larger room. I've never seen a suite (or sofabed-equipped room) there; I suspect they only have a few of them, and they keep them booked with all the young European tourists packed 4 to a room.

Breakfast is not worth getting up for. It's a zoo down there, and the fare is terrible. Just go down the block to the deli and get a fresh egg & cheese on a roll/bagel for $1.50-$2.00

If you venture west towards 21st St, where the Queensbridge stop for the F train is, you will find yourself entering a large housing project once well-known for its unwholesome goings-on. Late at night, try to use the trains operating from the Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza stops. The Queens Plaza area is rapidly gentrifying, and anything in the "Tribeque" (TRIangle BElow QUEens Blvd--I just made it up--demarcated by Queens Blvd, Jackson Ave, & the East River) area to the south of the hotel should be both safe and interesting to explore on foot. There is nothing else worth doing on foot from this hotel.

If you have a car, there is plenty of street parking in front of or near the hotel, and they have about 8 parking spots on the hotel property itself.

ma91pmh Sep 7, 2012 6:19 am

Tribeque - I LOVE it! lol that is a good one

Agree the breakfast is slop, but I always just hop on the N train, get out at 59th/5th and pick up something marvelous at the NY Plaza shops. That way everyone thinks I'm staying at the Plaza :)

stinger101 Sep 7, 2012 4:06 pm

Stayed here in late July for 2 nights on points. Loved that it was only a block from the subway stop. The gas station next door has a crazy assortment of food, etc. Always felt safe and never had any trouble.

murilix Sep 3, 2013 1:57 pm

My 2 cents on a recent stay the C Inn LI City:

Obviously, it is a STEAL when you think NY - a similar priced hotel in Manhattan would be a bed bug nightmare and the Country Inn is decently clean.

Not brand spanking new shining clean, but decent.

Breakfast is a nightmare, crowded tables and a hideously huge trash can where people throw away their paper plates. Fair enough, food ain't exactly bad, just some grub to fill up your belly. There is also a small clean deli type of place not far that can be handy if you're not willing to fight your way to the crowd and the aforementioned gas station with great selection, including some fancy beer and the roughest attendants in the Western Hemisphere. For simpler stuff and deli meats, I suggest the small Mexican market on the corner of Crescent and 40th.

But some front desk attendants do have a terrible attitude. I arrived there with Ms. Murilix who had an accident as was walking with the help of a stick and we were given a hard time when her credit card didn't get through (she was paying the bills in NY as I refused to spend any money in that city - I gladly picked the hotel bills in Philadelphia - our previous stay) even though 1) I have gold status 2) They already had asked for an authorization on the credit card I used to guarantee the reservation (unfortunately mine).

At least, my complains yielded some CC points in exchange for the hassle.
So I strongly recommend Elite CC members to voice their dissatisfaction in case their status is not properly recognized.

ma91pmh Sep 4, 2013 7:48 am

I've stayed here and around LIC many times and this place is not great. As you point out the front desk staff are just damn awful.

At this price and facility point I think the Best Western down the road is the best value

LIC overall though is a fantastic place for value stays in NYC

carraher Sep 5, 2013 7:24 pm

I think that this place is a great value if staying two nights on points ie 38k points with second night free.

xenole Sep 17, 2013 1:01 am

I've stayed here before and have a booking for December lined up.
Just booked a normal room this time as only there for the night before heading out early to JFK (far cheaper at £96 than pretty much everything at the airport).

Last time I stayed, I had a room with a massive bed and whirlpool bath overlooking the taxi area on Crescent St. No problems at all with traffic noise.

Handy having a microwave and fridge in the room and you can stock up on drinks etc from the gas station / convenience store next door.

Breakfast was fine. Only 3-4 people in the around 7am when I went (during NY marathon weekend + days either side). As said, scrambled egg, bagels etc - simple but free and the free wi-fi worked throughout the hotel.

15mins or thereabouts on the subway from Times Square so hardly out of the way.

Gas station next door, laundrette, cafe, burger place, Subway etc all within 5 mins as well as 3 subway stations.

Nice run down Crescent St, across the Queensboro' bridge onto 1st Ave, up to Bloomingdales and then along 59th St to Central Park.

View wise, yes the city views are gorgeous especially at night although you can see the same thing from the gas station if need be.

No problems with the staff. Helpful and friendly enough.

littlemookie Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently? I have a 2 night stay and am not expecting much based on the reports I've read.

ma91pmh Nov 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by littlemookie (Post 21814663)
Has anyone stayed here recently? I have a 2 night stay and am not expecting much based on the reports I've read.

yeah I stay here regularly... staff are miserable but location is great. go for a manhattan view room. it's a country inn, they are all kind of the same except where they are built and whether the check in agent smiles or not

iamife Jan 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by murilix (Post 21383178)
My 2 cents on a recent stay the C Inn LI City:

Obviously, it is a STEAL when you think NY - a similar priced hotel in Manhattan would be a bed bug nightmare and the Country Inn is decently clean.

Wow! I read all these comments here and it seems the reviews about this hotel is somewhat bad - I read from other sites too. We are visiting NY soon and I was first thinking this hotel but when missus read about the bugs in this hotel from the other review site, she doesn't want anything to do with this hotel.

Reading this post above, missus is already freaking out with all these bed bug stories. :D :D :D ;)

Where are the decently priced hotels in NY without bugs? :cool: