Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by iamife
Wow! I read all these comments here and it seems the reviews about this hotel is somewhat bad - I read from other sites too. We are visiting NY soon and I was first thinking this hotel but when missus read about the bugs in this hotel from the other review site, she doesn't want anything to do with this hotel.

Reading this post above, missus is already freaking out with all these bed bug stories.

Where are the decently priced hotels in NY without bugs?
You seem to have considered this hotel because of the relatively room rates. You probably would be better off using AirBnB if your main concern is bedbugs. The properties are privately owned so it is likely there is more of an investment in keeping them clean and safe.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Just stayed a week there and will stay another week starting next Sunday. Hotel is fine.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by carraher
You probably would be better off using AirBnB if your main concern is bedbugs.
Do you get points with AirBNB?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: A few
This place does not have bed bugs. Staff can be a bit miserable but rooms are fine, nice views of the city and well located for the subway. The area is rapidly getting gentrified with a nice bar opening a block down the street. JetBlue and MetLife have major offices just outside the subway station. LIC is the place to stay in NYC if cost is an issue
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by murilix
Do you get points with AirBNB?

Absolutely, just use your Club Carlson Visa
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This place may have bedbugs, but if you are careful, it's an okay place to stay. It's really convenient to the city, the subway is literally 1-2 small blocks away. If you lower your expectations and won't spend much time in the room, you'll be fine. The hotel is a bit grungy and the staff is useless, but it's a place to rest your head for the night. There's a gas station with a decent food selection next door to the hotel if you need a snack or drink (the vending machine was broken in the hotel when I stayed), and a Dunkin Donuts is located next to the Subway station a block away.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
If you take the subway into Manhattan, what line do you change to, for the Upper East Side -- 6? Thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
If you take the subway into Manhattan, what line do you change to, for the Upper East Side -- 6? Thank you.
take the N or Q one stop and switch to 6 at Lexington Ave / 53rd
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
take the N or Q one stop and switch to 6 at Lexington Ave / 53rd
Thanks much, ma91pmh, and for being so quick.

I'm finding AAA at $71+. $85, ai.

Amazingly convenient and inexpensive. I know, it's winter, but it's also time to get in under the old rules, before all the sweeteners get the haircut.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Thanks much, ma91pmh, and for being so quick.

I'm finding AAA at $71+. $85, ai.

Amazingly convenient and inexpensive. I know, it's winter, but it's also time to get in under the old rules, before all the sweeteners get the haircut.
Yeah this place is great value. I have stayed many of the hotels near here. The Best Western plaza down the road is pretty good too, and at slightly higher price points but still much cheaper than Manhattan the Four Points and Holiday Inn Express.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I have stayed many of the hotels near here...
Looking at prices, I have to agree with the earlier "steal" comment. This whole neighborhood - of hotels - looks to be a steal for visitors to Manhattan.

I'm seeing two nearby ChoiceHotels - Sleep and Quality - comparably low at ~ $55 ($65 ai). Adding up that Carlson and they have what amount to similar "promos"*, touted views of Manhattan, convenience to the subway, about the same breakfast, and the grunge factor - as reported here and there - they all seem to be comparable. (I toss out "bed bugs" as an uncreative way to diss a hotel.)

I have no connection with ChoiceHotels - or Carlson - but wonder how comparable all these are. While the $85 ai at the Radisson is remarkable, I'm looking for the $20 difference in value.

* I consider the current sweeteners in the Carlson program that will last another week or so to amount to "promos" at this point. (Better than thinking of them as the "bait" in Carlson's recent "bait and switch". I digress.) ChoiceHotels has re-started its 8,000 points for two stays, and will likely re-start its annual spring 8,000-point redemption sale across Europe.

ETA: But I really am just considering these hotels!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:13 am

I have stayed at all three. The Quality Inn is not. It is poor quality.

The Sleep Inn is great. It's "back to back" with the Best Western and they are both exactly the same, they were built by same developer same time and rooms are all the same (it was a Hojo originally but just changed to Sleep Inn). It's just off 21st Street and next to the big projects there so it is a sketchier area, but it's a quick walk to the 21st Queensbridge subway and the F train

The Country Inn is hard to beat for location, rooms are not as nice as Sleep Inn and staff tend to be surly, not that I care I just need a cheap room. At $20 a night difference I'd probably pick Sleep Inn unless there was a lucrative promo
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:23 am

Thanks again, ma91pmh. I knew you'd know.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:45 am

FWIW, I've been most pleased with the Sleep Inn, twice. Just as ma91pmh reported in all respects. Since this is the CC forum, I'll leave it at this. Except to say thank you very much again, ma91pmh. ^
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Wanted to update this old thread. Stayed here for a night in April as I was curious based on the mixed reviews. I didn't experience any problems with bed bugs and the room was fine, though curiously the living room part of the suite had no sofa so looked rather barren with just the desk and chair. The breakfast was standard Country Inn, though the room was overcrowded at around 8a with German tourists.

The area appears pretty bleak from Google maps/earth but there are a couple of restaurants and bars, and a gas station next door with some food, booze and water/juices. The area is turning over with a few larger apartment/condo complexes and it's a block and half walk from the subway for easy access to Manhattan.

For $119 it served my purposes that night well given the cost of NYC hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.