Which is better in Orlando??

Old Jun 29, 12, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Which is better in Orlando??

Radisson Celebration or Radisson International Drive?? Both are only 9k points per night. I have never been to either so I am looking for opinions as to which is best hotel. Thanks!!
Old Jun 29, 12, 3:40 pm

Just an FYI, the Celebration location tacks on a $12.50/day resort fee. There are more "resort-type" activities there (nicer pool, water slide, etc.) I think they're both pretty good deals at 9K points.
Old Jun 29, 12, 5:46 pm

The International Drive hotel also has a resort fee which is $10. Some reports have said they don't charge it when using points but YMMV. Intl Drive location has a YMCA that's included and is walking distance to Wonder Works and other Intl Drive activites. It's also close to Univeral Studios, Wet N Wild, and Sea World. There's a large pool and a hot tub.

The Celebration hotel is a larger property with multiple buildings. We stayed in the 1000 building and the hallways and doors had a dated look. The pool area is tropical with 2 pools and 2 hot tubs. The pool without the slide is heated if you go in the winter. This hotel is close to Disney World.

Both hotels are well worth the 9000 points. I think the Intl Drive one feels more modern but the Celebration one may be better for kids. I liked the room at Intl Drive better but the better hotel room probably depends on which building you get and how recently it's been renovated.
Old Jun 29, 12, 10:54 pm
Suspended

I found the I-drive to be too big, and I would probably try the Celebration location next time. Also there is that "Old-Town" by Celebration and that is fun for both kids and adults. But you will never get me on the giant bungy...

Either one is fine though.
Old Jul 2, 12, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Stayed at both for "Star Wars Weekends" at Disney last month. These hotels are where my wife and I got in our 50K Club Carlson stays. I also redeemed 5 nights at Int'l Dr @ 9K. Would have stayed at Celebration more but it was full with a Harley Davidson Convention for several days; also, it did not drop to 9K (from 28K, a real ripoff) until partway through our stay. Front desk friendly and helpful at both hotels. Beds and room comfort were about the same.

International Drive:

Closer to restaurants, Walgreen's, bars, grocery, etc.
Farther from Disney, but closer to Universal
Wi-fi sucked. Faded in and out the whole time.
Did not get charged resort fee, either for points stays or a cash stay. No idea why.
Crappier pool situation
Slightly run-down air about it
Very slow elevators.
Only 2 coin washing machines in a big multi-story building.
Desk clerk told me (as I recall) 35-40% of stays are on points!

Celebration:

Fast to get there from Disney.
Good wi-fi.
Good pool with short water slide.
Newer, fresher feel.
Did get charged resort fee on cash stay. Did not have a points stay.

I give preference to Celebration. But I'd stay at either again on points. Great way to burn 9K. Probably would not want to pay cash again for the prevailing $90-100; would just as soon hit a Hampton.
Old Jul 3, 12, 12:45 am

I've stayed at radisson Int'l drive and was not charged resort fees on award stay. Location is better than the other one (unless you are going to Disney) and there are ample restaurants within walking distance.

WiFi works fine-they have multiple SSID points and you just need to connect to the one working for your room. Lot of people just get on the main one and feel it is slow.
Old Jul 3, 12, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
WiFi works fine-they have multiple SSID points and you just need to connect to the one working for your room. Lot of people just get on the main one and feel it is slow.
The wi-fi did not work "fine" for me. I tried every SSID that came up.

Repeatedly. For 6 days.
Old Jul 6, 12, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Did a mattress run to Intl Dr. location and was content with room. Tried to have the resort fee removed, considering we were there all of 15 minutes, but the night front desk guy refused & we didn't push the issue. We did go back & check out the next morning.

I can tell you though, stay away from Country Inn Intl Drive. 2 Star hotel at best. The one in Kissimmee is better, with better pools and facilities (if you don't get assigned a "Priceline designated" room)
Old Oct 8, 12, 9:21 am

it seems more people perfer Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration over the other
Old Oct 8, 12, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
...it did not drop to 9K (from 28K...)
Old Oct 8, 12, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me View Post
Did a mattress run to Intl Dr. location and was content with room. Tried to have the resort fee removed, considering we were there all of 15 minutes, but the night front desk guy refused & we didn't push the issue. We did go back & check out the next morning.

I can tell you though, stay away from Country Inn Intl Drive. 2 Star hotel at best. The one in Kissimmee is better, with better pools and facilities (if you don't get assigned a "Priceline designated" room)

Interesting, I actually love the Universal Studios/Int'l Drive CI location. Granted, I was upgraded to a suite each time I was there and the rooms show some wear, but the bed/restroom was spotlessly clean and service was exceptional. (along with fast WiFi)
Old Oct 8, 12, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
The wi-fi did not work "fine" for me. I tried every SSID that came up.

Repeatedly. For 6 days.

Weird! Maybe you should have asked them to reset the router or move you to another room with better WiFi coverage. I've spent over 15 nights at that hotel and never had an issue with WiFi. What floor were you on?
Old Oct 8, 12, 11:26 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
I stayed at Intn'l Drive property in December 2011.
The room was OK but I could hear the highway (I-4) which is no fun.
Restaurants within walking distance was a plus.
Took my kid to YMCA but did not enjoy the experience much.
The hotel is OK but does not feel like a Radisson.
Maybe I expect too much from the Radissons in North America.

I stayed on points and was not charged a resort fee.

RM
Old Oct 9, 12, 10:35 pm

Glad I came across this topic. I've got a weeklong stay in Orlando coming up and am trying to decide between the Radisson International Drive and the Country Inn & Suites Universal. We want to be close to both Disney and Universal, so the Radisson Celebration is out. I've been leaning towards the CI&S over the Radisson so far, based mostly on scouring reviews. The bullet points of my impressions so far are as follows:
  • Radisson is 9k/night, CI&S is 15k/night (advantage R)
  • Radisson charges daily resort fee, but seems to be waived on award stays (tie)
  • CI&S has free breakfast which seems to be well-received from reviews, Radisson has no free breakfast (advantage C)
  • CI&S rooms are basic but serviceable, while some recent reviews for Radisson are highly questionable (e.g., bugs) (slight advantage C)
  • Radisson may be very slightly more conveniently located, but that's pretty much a wash (tie)

Obviously the main reason to go with the Radisson is the 40% points savings, but between the free breakfast and the slightly better reviews, I was thinking going with the CI&S was worth it -- another way of looking at the 15k vs 9k issue is that Carlson agrees with that assessment. However, TTnC4me posted against the CI&S -- although for us, I don't care about facilities like a pool and whatnot (traveling kid-free) -- just want a clean, functional room, good location, and free breakfast is always appreciated.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 12, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert View Post
Glad I came across this topic. I've got a weeklong stay in Orlando coming up and am trying to decide between the Radisson International Drive and the Country Inn & Suites Universal. We want to be close to both Disney and Universal, so the Radisson Celebration is out. I've been leaning towards the CI&S over the Radisson so far, based mostly on scouring reviews. The bullet points of my impressions so far are as follows:
  • Radisson is 9k/night, CI&S is 15k/night (advantage R)
  • Radisson charges daily resort fee, but seems to be waived on award stays (tie)
  • CI&S has free breakfast which seems to be well-received from reviews, Radisson has no free breakfast (advantage C)
  • CI&S rooms are basic but serviceable, while some recent reviews for Radisson are highly questionable (e.g., bugs) (slight advantage C)
  • Radisson may be very slightly more conveniently located, but that's pretty much a wash (tie)

Obviously the main reason to go with the Radisson is the 40% points savings, but between the free breakfast and the slightly better reviews, I was thinking going with the CI&S was worth it -- another way of looking at the 15k vs 9k issue is that Carlson agrees with that assessment. However, TTnC4me posted against the CI&S -- although for us, I don't care about facilities like a pool and whatnot (traveling kid-free) -- just want a clean, functional room, good location, and free breakfast is always appreciated.

Any thoughts?
I'd stay at Radisson.

I've stayed at both for a few nights and it really comes down to what is more important for you. Radisson gets you sleep number beds, better amenities and decor. For 9K, it's a steal. CIS is just down the road and it was spotlessly clean even though the walls n furniture show some age. Their breakfast, as you mentioned is pretty good and if you're big on breakfast, then it's definitely something to consider.

That said, if you're using points, I'd stay at Radisson. Yes, they waive resort fees and at 9K, it's a really good deal. The quality of bedding/decor/amenities is definitely way better than CIS and all you will be sacrificing is free breakfast. Rooms come with a mini fridge, so you can always buy milk/cereal and have that for breakfast. There's a walgreens within walking distance and ample restaurants on I-drive. Cici Pizza there has a $3.99 buffet which is a good value and for people on a budget. Plus, you'll save 6000 points/daily over CIS.

Radisson area is also better as it is directly on I-drive and surrounded by restaurants and tourist attractions. CIS is on Universal drive and there's nothing directly around it. All you're sacrificing is free breakfast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: