Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu and Park Inns in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Radisson Blu and Park Inns in South Africa

Has anyone tried the Radisson Blu's and Park Inn's in Johannesburg? Do they upgrade Gold Elites easily to Business Class room and offer them free breakfasts?
Old May 4, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Hyatt Privé, Impresario, Four Seasons, Marriott Stars, Kempinski, Accor STEP, SLH, IHG,etc
Originally Posted by rownada
Has anyone tried the Radisson Blu's and Park Inn's in Johannesburg? Do they upgrade Gold Elites easily to Business Class room and offer them free breakfasts?
I've stayed at the Radisson Blu Sandton hotel a few times and get an upgrade most times, though I usually have to ask for it. If they can't offer me one on the day of the check-in they do it the following day.

These days I prefer a regular room. Making tea with a Nespresso machine is pain :-P

Free breakfast is included in my corporate rate, so can't help you with that.

HTH,
Steve
Old May 18, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
There are two Radisson's in Sandton, Radisson Blu and Radisson Blu Gautrain, located quite close to each other on Rivonia.

I've just done 50 nights at the Blu Gautrain and can recommend it. Very well located near Sandton City, Rivonia Ave and the Gautrain station to ORT (1 miniute walk). Great bar on the roof, best bar in RSA...lots of models and all night events.....which you will see the aftermath of if you're up at 5am to walk across to Planet Fitness (good gym nearby) like I was.

There is also a kind of Starbucks at the Blu Gautrain which is nice place to relax. Breakfast buffet is very good, underground parking and is near the Avis office. Pool is small but functional (the other Radisson has a bigger pool but is not as lively as the Gautrain).

Cheers
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AA GLD, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jakpot
There are two Radisson's in Sandton, Radisson Blu and Radisson Blu Gautrain, located quite close to each other on Rivonia.

I've just done 50 nights at the Blu Gautrain and can recommend it. Very well located near Sandton City, Rivonia Ave and the Gautrain station to ORT (1 miniute walk). Great bar on the roof, best bar in RSA...lots of models and all night events.....which you will see the aftermath of if you're up at 5am to walk across to Planet Fitness (good gym nearby) like I was.

There is also a kind of Starbucks at the Blu Gautrain which is nice place to relax. Breakfast buffet is very good, underground parking and is near the Avis office. Pool is small but functional (the other Radisson has a bigger pool but is not as lively as the Gautrain).

Cheers
Hi,

I have a month long stay coming up in Sandton for my first visit. It seems like you would recommend the Blu Gautrain over the Radisson Blu. Are there any benefits of staying at the older Radisson Blu? We are also considering the Intercontinental and Hilton. Any thoughts on those?

Thanks for your advice.

adam
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:44 pm

I am at the older one as we speak.

I like it, although it can be a bit soul-less (especially on the weekend)... The gym that this one here has is incredible, virtual golf range, two different yoga rooms, 300 yard running track, full-size swimming pool etc.

The Gautrain one is good as well, I stayed there before as well. Like Jakpot said, the Zar Bar is very nice, the rooms are a bit smaller though.
The pool is a joke really, maybe 5 people can sit around it and stick their feet in but that's it.
If you don't have a car, then the Gautrain one is probably better located, since you can walk to places, the older Radisson has a shuttle bus running to Gautrain station and Nelson Mandela square.

Basically I am staying here, because we have a corporate rate with this one and I must say, for me it does feel like a 2nd home by now.

Can't comment on the Intercontinental or the Hilton, but I think they are very good as well.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
I preferred the Radisson Gautrain to the older one. The older property is on the the top half of an office tower, and the other poster is right about the gym....there is a Planet Fitness Platinum Club in the building you can have access too.....I stayed at the Gautrain and paid to use the normal Planet Fitness in the Village Walk shopping centre.....

The older hotel has a better pool than the Gautrain, although the front desk at the Gautrain can arrange access to the pool at the older property if you like. The Gautrain is newer and move lively, especialy the roof top bar which attracts all kinds of events......the Gautrain property has a large deck overlooking Rivonia and Sandton City at lobby level (3rd floor). I was also able to email the Gautrain in advance of arrival to fix a nice room on a high floor with good view.....I was also periodically left some nice wines during my stay...

Why not split your stay and try both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.