Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Qualiflyer
Reload this Page >

LX: Swiss carrier takes up easyJet price gauntlet

Old Jan 10, 03, 2:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Information source: http://www.reuters.co.uk/marketsBrea...t=UK_COFORCAST

Flag carrier Swiss International Air Lines SWIn.S responded to growing competition from no-frills airline easyJet EZJ.L , saying on Thursday it would offer low fare tickets on flights from Geneva.
Swiss International, which replaced bankrupt Swissair as the national carrier in April 2002, said in its website it would offer "Top-class travel at low fares" from January 15. Spokesman Manfred Winkel said flights to London Heathrow, Paris, Barcelona and Nice would cost between 79 and 199 Swiss francs ($142.9). Its current price for Geneva-London is about 275 francs.

"We want to match easyJet in price while offering our standard of service," Winkler said.

EasyJet Switzerland, a joint venture between the British budget airline and Swiss investors, is based in Geneva. For Swiss, it is a second-leg airport next to its international hub in Zurich and a regional node in Basel.

Swiss said cheap rates would not apply to all tickets and would only be applied to Internet bookings.

"The number of seats available for discount prices depends on the bookings for the plane. We want to better use the overcapacity on less busy times of the day or in the week," Winkel said.

Old Jan 10, 03, 6:13 am

Lets hope that there are no saturday night etc rules AND 100 % MILES . If that is the case this would be very nice , I am on EZE 2-4 flights a week to various locations to and from GVA!
Peter
Old Jan 10, 03, 7:56 am

Cheap Club Miles and nice Week-ends in London on the way....

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Jan 10, 03, 8:12 am

www.swiss.com is updated for the EasyPrices:

Just as easy, but even better...

Swiss Easy Savers offer bargain fares for return travel between Geneva and Barcelona, London-Heathrow, Paris and Nice. Fares range from CHF 79 to 199 (airport fees extra). Similarly favourable fares and conditions are also available for flights to Geneva from the same four cities.

These super fares come combined with convenient conditions. For travel during the week a minimum stay of two nights is required. Weekend travel requires a Saturday-to-Sunday overnight stay. Flights must be booked 14 to 28 days before departure. Maximum stay is 10 days. Offer valid as long as seats are available.

This new special offer is available from January 15

link: http://www.swiss.com/index/tg-to-so-easy-savers.htm

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Jan 10, 03, 8:15 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Do these lyrics from Eminem's song "Cleaning out my closet" sound familiar:

"..Have you every been hated or discriminated against, I have..."

Once again I feel left out as a "Basler" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Jan 10, 03, 8:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huegli:
Do these lyrics from Eminem's song "Cleaning out my closet" sound familiar:

"..Have you every been hated or discriminated against, I have..."

Once again I feel left out as a "Basler" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
</font>

I agree with you Huegli,

I live in GVA, so it s good for me.

I think they might also do BSL or ZRH connections flight to GVA for this flights at least they should... (the 70.- CHF ones like Webspecials).

kooks.
Old Jan 10, 03, 9:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kooks:

I agree with you Huegli,

I live in GVA, so it s good for me.

I think they might also do BSL or ZRH connections flight to GVA for this flights at least they should... (the 70.- CHF ones like Webspecials).

kooks.
</font>
Don't bet on that, it really is only to compete with Easyjet from GVA. It is a pitty that the AMS route is not included (I would go through Bale or Zuerich just for the extra miles !)

But since there is a 14 day booking in advance rule I will not be able to take advantage of this offer anyway, don't remember ever booking that much in advance for any flight......

Peter

[This message has been edited by padams (edited 01-10-2003).]
Old Jan 11, 03, 6:28 am

In the US there were cases where the big guys would lower their fares, force the smaller low cost players out and then immediately raise their fares again. I hope this will not be the case with LX/Easyjet.
Old Jan 12, 03, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
EZ is the biggest operator from the UK to GVA, with BA a close second.

LX has a measly 20%. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif Clearly a long way to go to catch up.

BA has of course had lower fares for some months, and is a more direct competitor, so perhaps LX's action is also directed at the company allegedly preventing them from joining OW http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif.

EZ currently has a promotion, LGW or LTN to GVA for £7.50 each way plus taxes and fees for flights to 9 April. That's around 34 CHF r/t + extras. Come on, LX, where's your real response?
Old Jan 12, 03, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Could this be a DMFUK http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif?
Old Jan 13, 03, 1:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Swiss criticised over low-cost flights, NZZ
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The decision by Switzerland's national carrier "Swiss" to offer low-cost fares from Geneva has been attacked as proof that the airline lacks a coherent business strategy.
René Lüchinger, a leading aviation expert, warned that the move would alienate premium customers and confuse the company's shareholders.

Swiss on Friday announced that it would be offering what it calls "Easy Savers" on flights to London Heathrow, Paris, Barcelona and Nice, with prices starting from SFr99.

These are all routes run by Europe's leading "no frills" airline, easyJet.

"In the long run, it's a very dangerous strategy because if you want to be a premium airline, you can't compete with the low-cost carriers," Lüchinger told swissinfo.

"You must decide if you want to be a premium airline with a good service and higher prices or whether you want to be low cost. I think to be both is impossible." &gt;&gt;&gt;</font>
read all http://www.nzz.ch/2003/01/13/english...nd1560133.html
Old Jan 13, 03, 1:57 am

Stelios et. al. must be having fun about the whole thing. It turns back against Swiss ;-)

The offers are not competition to easyjet anyway as long as there is any overnight rule and 28 (!) days advance booking.

PA

[This message has been edited by padams (edited 01-13-2003).]
Old Jan 13, 03, 2:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by padams:
Stelios et. al. must be having fun about the whole thing. It turns back against Swiss ;-)

The offers are not competition to easyjet anyway as long as there is any overnight rule and 28 (!) days advance booking.

PA

[This message has been edited by padams (edited 01-13-2003).]
</font>
Easyjet may not require 28 days advance booking but their fares automatically increase as the flight date approaches so LX may have taken the view that, in practice, there is an advance booking requirement (although not 28 days) for cheap Easyjet fares.

Stephen
Old Jan 13, 03, 2:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:
Easyjet may not require 28 days advance booking but their fares automatically increase as the flight date approaches so LX may have taken the view that, in practice, there is an advance booking requirement (although not 28 days) for cheap Easyjet fares.

Stephen
</font>
True. But I fly at least once to week GVA-London (Luton or Gatwick) same day return and book few days in advance overall costs usually about 200 CHF. now try that on LX ...

I suspect that many of the UK skiers that are always on teh winter flights book VERY early and pay a lot less than the LX offer.

I think that LX will not get the (many) business travellers on board the average easyjet flight to London (same day return and advance booking) and the LX offer is simply still too expensive for the opportinistic UK skier (and GVA students)that books at midnight when the new EZE prices are on the net for the season.

Peter
(PS Paris trips tend to be a lot cheaper even)

Old Jan 13, 03, 11:15 am

I guess it’s true that there are quite a lot of people around that will always try to get the cheapest fares.
But never forget those that want some kind of service and don't like to be on the train for hours before arriving at their destination (e.g. London). There are quite a large number of people that are ready to pay a bit more for some increased comfort. And those are not only people on expense accounts and the super rich.
I think there is a way for swiss to get those people if they are not too far away from the 'easy' prices.
And regarding the NZZ article: It is quite easy to become a so called expert on those things. Especially in Switzerland, if you are ready to talk, people will expect you to be an expert. Sadly it is not always so. A lot of brands have some lower priced products that don't interfere with the higher priced ones. Instead they profit from the higher priced products.
If they market those fares properly they will not alienate their core customers, instead they will increase revenue on those routes and take away those people from Easy that appreciate that extra service. Not everybody is a student and a budget tourist, especially not in Switzerland.

Search this Thread