Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Qualiflyer
Reload this Page >

Also severe increase for club members to upgrade from C to F

Old Jan 6, 03, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Let me use this occasion to state I am really really really annoyed now. First I get cheated regarding status prolongation for everyone but for me, and now my 500k+ miles are loosing there value like you wouldn't believe it! Plus, no more youth bonus! This ist just horrible.

Anybody now if you can still upgrade with miles on board?

Anyway, the new chart:

Upgrades from Business to First Class on SWISS flights

As a Swiss TravelClub Gold member you have the chance to upgrade from Business Class to First Class using your miles. You can choose to do so when you book your ticket, or even at the gate at the last minute (as long as there are seats available on board).

Number of miles required for an outbound or
return flight, maximum of two flight segments

From Europe/North Africa

Europe/North Africa 10 000*
Near East 35 000
North America 45 000
Middle East 55 000
Africa (excl. North Africa) 60 000
South Asia 60 000
SE and N Asia, Japan 65 000
South America 75 000
Australia, Oceania 105 000

* Upgrade from Economy to Business Class (no First Class within Europe)
Old Jan 6, 03, 4:24 am

Very very bad news. I m http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif .

45k for C to F class in North America is a joke! Better pay 1200.- CHF for the upgrade at the gate.

Hope they at least put some new 240k promotions in 2003.

kooks.
Old Jan 6, 03, 11:24 am

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Boy am I glad I got transferred to Miles & More. I thought it was a rip-off for the UG from ZRH to S.America for 50,000 miles one way but 75,000 now is a joke. But it was always enjoyable flying Swiss. Thanks for the memories http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 6, 03, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
If the SWISS miles required for a SWISS flight is the same for CX, I'm mighty shocked that it will now require 105,000 for a oneway J-F upgrade between Europe and SW Pacific.
Old Jan 6, 03, 6:53 pm

The upgrade Y-C on the ZRH-EWR route is still 25k as of today... Any ideas when the new structure will be in place?
Old Jan 7, 03, 12:44 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by atlantic:
Any ideas when the new structure will be in place?</font>
March 1st 2003.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Jan 8, 03, 1:48 am

Does anyone think it's worth writing TC management a "protest" note?

It may not change much, but I've drafted soemthing with a brief-but-brutal comparison of Lufthansas Miles & More (from which I changed to Qualiflyer in the mid 90's, precisely because I found it too "expensive"). As stated in this forum, long haul C&F free rates and C-F upgrades under SWISS TC compare particularly poorly. In addition earning is slower in C&F with SWISS compared with M&M (x1.5/2 c.f. x2 / x3)
The justification / reasoning given in the "Tagesanzeiger" (by TC management?) the other day is that the "basic" award 20000 European Y flight remains unchanged consittutes 95% of all redemptions. Surely it would be a better idea to keep the high (club) mileage people happy with reasonable award rates for other products. These are the people that provide SWISS with a reliable base income. Nice as free flights in Europe in Y are, I can normally pay for those...

Any input welcome!
Old Jan 8, 03, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Yes, I am in favor of a protest note.
Old Jan 8, 03, 5:17 am

I also doubt if that would have any impact !

I have to say I am glad that at least the intra EU flights for 20'000 miles remain !! (since that is also 90 % of my use of miles (on straight returns, not any of the 8 segment stuff that would require way too much planning ahead anyway, these are costing Swiss a lot as well one shoud think).

that said, If they would have reduced the Y -C upgrades I would remain loyal to Swiss, the way things are going I will be on LH for all of my business trips!

Peter

Old Jan 8, 03, 6:07 am

Let s protest I pissed off.

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif
Old Jan 8, 03, 11:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kooks:
Let s protest I pissed off.

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif
</font>
I totally agree - They should try to keep their best customers happy. I hope they change at least their "operational upgrade" policies. If I have to pay up to 30% more for an upgrade I want to be upgraded more for free.
Old Jan 9, 03, 9:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm frankly surprised that they've raised the redemption values so much, as well as making the programme look a lot less attractive generally. This is at a time when a large number of frequent flyers are bleeding off to other programmes, with more serious alliance possibilities.

The new Qualilfyer (LX Travelclub) is a shadow of its former self, with limited possibilities outside Europe, absolutely zero for earning club miles. Until it goes into Oneworld (or wherever), it really has limited use and interest. Now, one is really better off in Miles & More (or other Star Alliancers), or Frequence Plus (or other Skyteamers).

But it has to be said, the new programme needs a chance to develop, the way the original one did. New members, perhaps with club miles possibilities, will appear, and the scope will hopefully expand with time. Either that, or this is the beginning of the end with a gradual devaluation of frequent flyer programmes. For I am sure what really costs the airlines money are those long-haul upgrades, not Y-class tickets in Europe.

But whatever happens, it must be done well, and attractively, in order to retain a loyal clientele, just as Qualiflyer did.

Search this Thread