FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qualiflyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qualiflyer-406/)
-   -   Upgrade stickers for partner airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qualiflyer/82363-upgrade-stickers-partner-airlines.html)

jan_peeters Dec 26, 2002 6:19 am

Upgrade stickers for partner airlines

Hi all,

I upgraded an AMS-HKG-SYD-CNS-HKG-AMS ticket on Cathay Pacific from Y to C using Swiss miles. The Qualiflyer agent told me that Swiss needs to stick 'upgrade stickers' on my Y-tickets before I go to the check-in. He claimed this could happen at the airport, right before check-in...

But...Qualiflyer is being stopped as program on 12/31/02, so what is my best move ?

1) Go for the sticker at a Swiss counter on the day of departure (Feb 23 03) right before checking in with CX

2) Or go to the airport before year-end to get the sticker in advance on my tickets ?

Any person experienced trouble with the upgrade stickers right before a flight ? What does CX do if the stickers are NOT there ?

cheers !

Jan

airoli Dec 26, 2002 6:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jan_peeters:
1) Go for the sticker at a Swiss counter on the day of departure (Feb 23 03) right before checking in with CX

2) Or go to the airport before year-end to get the sticker in advance on my tickets ?
</font>
1) should do, assuming that your miles will be transferred from Qualiflyer to SWISS Travel Club. Please bear in mind that you'll have to see a SWISS Ticketing counter, and not a check-in booth.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Any person experienced trouble with the upgrade stickers right before a flight ? What does CX do if the stickers are NOT there ?

</font>
Never had any problems. Still, get a written confirmation of your upgrades from LX just in case.

Without the stickers, I think CX might be unable to process your upgrade.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line. ;)

Concerto Dec 26, 2002 7:05 am

I am in exactly the same situation, leaving from HKG to PER with Cathay Pacific. I have ordered an upgrade for the return flight to HKG, and have been told to get my ticket stickered (or endorsed or whatever). Is that something that can be done in Perth? I suspect SWISS does not have an office there. Is there a SWISS office at HKG airport, does anyone know?

If I turn up without the sticker, will CX simply not recognize the upgrade?

airoli Dec 26, 2002 9:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Concerto:
Is there a SWISS office at HKG airport, does anyone know?</font>
Since it is a LX destination, I suppose there is one. The timetable lists (852) 2769 7355 as their phone number there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If I turn up without the sticker, will CX simply not recognize the upgrade?

</font>
Dunno, but if I were you I wouldn't want to risk it.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line. ;)

Guy Betsy Dec 28, 2002 8:56 am

CX will NOT give you the upgrade without the QUALIFLYER stickers. Because the stickers determines where CX has to send your ticket coupoon to which department to ask revenue for the upgrade. Your reservation may have all the information that it is an upgrade made by SWISS, but the relevant info like approval codes of your upgrade from QUALIFLYER lies on SWISS' computer and NOT CX's.

I've had another situation about 3 years ago when CX flights were affected with their pilots' strike which I would like to share with you. I was already in HKG and my economy class ticket were upgraded using QUALIFLYER points. It had the sticker.

The CX flight from HKG to MEL was cancelled. CX transferred its business and first class passengers to QANTAS. But when CX looked at my ticket, they said that even though its an upgrade using QUALIFLYER miles, I have an economy class ticket. If I wanted to remain in Business Class, I can only fly with CX - the next day and via Melbourne. They would not give me the same treatment as other Business Class passengers. QANTAS agreed as they had no agreement with QUALIFLYER for upgrades. So I had to contend with sticking with CX the next day.

Just FYI.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 12-28-2002).]

jan_peeters Dec 29, 2002 10:48 am

Guy Betsi,

I went to the airport today and got my 'upgrade stickers'. when I drove by AMS airport, I noticed a CX A340 on the ground...nice looking bird !

The Swiss lady looked 'thrilled' with my request, she first decided to print out my file because it didn't fit on her screen anymore. She then copied approval codes from the reservation file to the upgrade stickers. It took about 10 mins to complete this. This way I am sure to avoid any problems on my departure day.

However...I once upgraded a Sabena ticket with Qualiflyer miles (SN was very close to Swiss and was NOT a partner airline, but a full participant), and got exactly the same upgrade stickers on my ticket. I therefore would assume that the approval codes are Qualiflyer system references to mileage account deductions, to ensure that the miles have been taken off.

Question remains: Does CX get compensation from Swiss for each upgrade they allow on behalf of Qualiflyer ? I can't imagine any airline forking out real money to offer upgrades on partner airlines to their members...sounds too good to be true. I would assume that they give each other an equal allotment of seats to upgrade or offer for free, this could explain why they are sometimes hard to get.

Does this makes sence to you ?

Cheers !

Jan

Concerto Dec 30, 2002 4:14 am

I was going to ask the same thing: are these upgrades worth money to the companies, or are they simply "free"?

My next question, verging on absurdity, is this: What if one wishes to downgrade? My mother did not succeed in obtaining an Asia Miles upgrade on the same CX flight, so I managed to cancel my upgrade before the ticket was stickered so as to not leave her alone in economy. However, my ticket has been stickered for the return flight. What if I wish to rescind the upgrade even though it has been stickered? Is that then impossible?