Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Qualiflyer
Reload this Page >

SWISS to cut 300 jobs, downsize fleet

Old Nov 19, 02, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott

SWISS has announced today that it will cut 300 jobs next year as it downsizes its fleet: 1 longhaul, 1 A32x, 3 charter and 3 regional aircraft will be put out of operation by the end of the winter timetable.

It was not announced which routes will be cancelled.

(German) newspaper article.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Nov 19, 02, 2:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The 300 jobs to be cut at Swiss International Air Lines AG will lead to the lay-off of 140 pilots, a company spokesman said.

The remaining 160 job cuts will affect cabin crew
and ground staff, with natural departures expected to cover them, he said.</font>
Old Nov 19, 02, 2:29 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred

SWISS to optimise fleet, routes and operations

SWISS is to introduce a comprehensive optimisation programme which is designed to add CHF 400 million to its 2003 bottom line. The programme includes modifications to the airline’s route network from the start of the 2003 summer schedules, a downsizing of the aircraft fleet, a revised charter concept and enhancements to its inflight product. The actions will entail the elimination of some 300 personnel positions, which should be effected through natural attrition as extensively as possible. At the same time, the company intends to create around 200 new positions in its Technical Services and IT divisions. A separate media release is being issued on the company’s third-quarter results.

As the first seven months of full business operations have confirmed, SWISS is largely on course, with an aircraft fleet that is broadly the right size for an airline that strives to offer a comprehensive route network. The company is, however, about to effect some slight modifications to its fleet and route network, along with further product enhancements, in response to current market needs. The optimisation programme includes various measures aimed at both the cost and the revenue side of business operations.

The Board of Directors approved the following proposals from Executive Management at its meeting of November 18:

Fleet and network
The aircraft fleet will be reduced by one long-haul aircraft (an MD-11), one medium-haul transport (an Airbus A320) and three 50-seater regional aircraft. The downsizing will result in the withdrawal of services primarily from routes which are generating less-than-satisfactory results and offer no prospect of longer-term success.

Charter
SWISS’s charter services will be operated by four Airbus A320s in place of the current seven MD-80s. The aircraft can already be deployed to fulfil long-term contractual agreements which have already been concluded.

Personnel
The withdrawal of five aircraft from the scheduled services fleet, the downsizing of the charter fleet, the delay in deliveries of the Embraer ERJ 170 and the introduction of a new efficiency-raising pilot rostering system for the regional fleet will entail a reduction in the numbers of cockpit and cabin personnel. The positions to be eliminated among the ground staff corps are part of the overall cost-cutting measures. Of the total elimination of 300 positions companywide, the reductions required among the cabin crew corps and ground personnel (160 positions) can be achieved through natural attrition. For the elimination of the 140 positions among the cockpit crew corps, SWISS will be devising socially-acceptable solutions in collaboration with the pilots’ unions.

Product
The Business Class service product on SWISS’s regional aircraft fleet is to be enhanced to differentiate it more clearly from its Economy Class counterpart. The move is designed to both save Economy Class costs and increase satisfaction among Business Class passengers. On the long-haul front, SWISS will be optimising the balance of its two and three-class products, and will be deploying suitably-configured aircraft to meet each market’s needs.

Destination Excellence
The Board of Directors also approved a programme named “Destination Excellence“. The programme, which is set to run until 2004, is intended to effect sustainable long-term enhancements to productivity and the quality of the SWISS service product. The actions envisaged will be focused on the SWISS product both in the air and on the ground.

3rd quarter results
Please see the separate media release.
Old Nov 19, 02, 2:48 am

Thanks for the update Mr Huegli.

kooks.
Old Nov 19, 02, 3:12 am

Don´t you just like the way marketing professionals write ?
"Enhancing the business class product on shorthaul flights" will at the same time save them costs in Economy. Beats me ! Nice way of saying service in Economy will decrease in order to make Business look more appealing....

Anyway, I rather have an airline around in 3 years to spend my miles on....
Old Nov 19, 02, 4:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huegli:
Don´t you just like the way marketing professionals write ?
"Enhancing the business class product on shorthaul flights" will at the same time save them costs in Economy. Beats me ! Nice way of saying service in Economy will decrease in order to make Business look more appealing....

Anyway, I rather have an airline around in 3 years to spend my miles on....
</font>
Hope this is not the case. Economy is already on short route most of the time bad. Most of all for the food or the "non food"...

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old Nov 19, 02, 5:25 am

Well, I disagree with you on that one, kooks. So far, all my shorthaul economy experiences have been very pleasant. Especially compared with shorthaul on US airlines. LX always gave me nice sandwiches (as many as I wanted !) and the leather seats are very nice. The Business service, however, on shorthaul was lousy so far. No distinction between Y and C, just the separate check-in line and lounge access (which is ridiculous in some airports, e.g. Barcelona).
If they don´t up the mileage requirement for a European C award (25´000), I´m quite happy with the changes. Almost all my shorthaul flights (except maybe BSL-BRN http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif ) are award flights. That way, at least I get more for my 5000 extra miles.

[This message has been edited by huegli (edited 11-19-2002).]
Old Nov 19, 02, 5:42 am

Again it depends on the time of the day.

Last week, flu from GVA to BSL then BSL to LHR. Flight from BSL to LHR was a very bad, full, not a seat left, bad smell all over.

Very very bad food: potatoe salad with a sort of meat with croute. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eek.gif

The return flight from LHR to GVA food was bad again (20.05 flight).
Usually I m happy, but this time : ...

But again most it depends on the flight route and most of all at what time your flight is schedule.

kooks.
Old Nov 19, 02, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I have to say that LX shorthaul economy is far better than most competitors I have tried (only OS and AY were excelling LX IMHO). On my flights to/from VIE this weekend I was given two sandwiches, a croissant, tea, juice, chocolate and a refreshment towel on the outbound flight and the same with Freixenet and water instead of tea and juice on the inbound.

All in all, this is an enormous amount of service on such a short flight. Also, on a flight to ARN in summer, there was a hot meal and then Moevenpick ice cream.

kooks, don't you think the service on a GVA-BSL flight is fairly impressive?

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Nov 19, 02, 6:31 am

Airoli,

We had ZERO service from GVA to BSL this time because the weather was bad.

The Cabin crew were very very professional nice very quick flight time 20 min.

Yes again when they serve Sandwiches that you can choose is good but what I had last week and this WE was horrible.

Sorry,

kooks.
Old Nov 23, 02, 8:20 am

&lt;&lt;Nice way of saying service in Economy will decrease in order to make Business look more appealing....&gt;&gt;

They already have accomplished this on transatlantic flights. If they do this now on short hops, their reputation will suffer.

Search this Thread