FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qualiflyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qualiflyer-406/)
-   -   Europe-8 segments-biz- any advice ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qualiflyer/82323-europe-8-segments-biz-any-advice.html)

france usa Oct 29, 2002 3:46 pm

Europe-8 segments-biz- any advice ?

Bonjour - I have booked, thanks to all your advices on Flyertalk, the following flight with my miles = CDG-WAW-STO-ZHR-ATH-IST(stopover)-MOSCOW(final Destination)-GVA-CDG. I stop in every city other than IST and MOS less than 24hr, just for a quick visit.The trip will be Nov 15-24, Business class (25,000 miles).

1 - Anybody has any advice on LOT, LX and TK best seats / lounges in all those flights/airports ?

2 - Also, is there a way I can do any internet checking on any of those airlines ? Sorry to ask, but I never fly on those airlines (I got 500,000 QF miles from the Amex MR promotion).
I only have a regular Qualiflyer membership and will be traveling in Biz. We'll be 2 people traveling. Thanks for any advice .

3 - As I only stop for "a day" in WAW, STO and ATH, and have never been there, could anyone give any tip on what to do for the day ? I'll obviously look at travel guides, but maybe any nice tip of how to make the most of my short days would be appreciated.

Also, I wanted to mention that the guy at QF told me that this itinerary was impossible because of the stopover in Istanbul. He said he went to ask his supervisor who told him so. SO I insisted -thanks to your advices on Flyertalk - and he eventually called me back today and said it was OK . I guess that shows once again how useful Flyertalk can be ! Thanks to you all.

france usa Oct 29, 2002 3:47 pm

Sorry, I meant "QG", not "QF" ....

HajoFlyer Oct 30, 2002 2:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I have booked, thanks to all your advices on Flyertalk, the following flight with my miles = CDG-WAW-STO-ZHR-ATH-IST(stopover)-MOSCOW(final Destination)-GVA-CDG. </font>
First of all, this itinerary really surprises me, because acording to airoli, TK does not allow interlining on award tickets anymore. See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum40/HTML/000844.html . But you have two TK segments here. Good news that it still works.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">1 - Anybody has any advice on LOT, LX and TK best seats / lounges in all those flights/airports ? </font>
Seats:

LX: It would help if you let us know the flight nos. / equipment that you are flying on.

LO: No recent info from me, because I have been avoiding LO like the plague for two years. If you want to know why, read this: http://britishexpat.com/travelhajo/hajoair/lot01.htm

TK: A quick check on http://www.aeroplan.de/ap_rb_galileo.htm reveals that ATH-IST will probably be operated with 737-400, IST-SVO with 737-800. C class on the 738 is in 2-2 configuration, typically 3 rows (fixed seats). I recommend to avoid the bulkhead seats because of little legroom. I usually pick 2 A or F. The 734 has 3-3 in C with flexible no. of rows, with the middle seat typically left empty and often a tray on it. IMHO, there are no good C seats on this plane. Definitely avoid the bulkhead.

A little sidenote on IST-SVO: Y class on this flight is sometimes one third or more filled with Russian prostitutes. No kidding. Decide for yourself if it's good or bad that you are booked in C. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Lounges:

ZRH:

C-Class lounge upstairs in Terminal A which as a smoker I usually avoid because it is non-smoking. I'm sure someone else here can give advice.

Smokers' Bar / Cigar room in Terminal A which is a combined smokers lounge for F, C and TCQM. Nice but small, and - depending on number of people inside - FOGGY.

Allegra arrivals lounge: behind security in the luggage area. Free for arriving F/C longhaul passengers, admittance for a fee for all others.

If you have time and top tier status with any of the big alliances, go to Terminal B. There are: BA Terraces Lounge, AF lounge, and a very nice Star Alliance Gold lounge with excellent tarmac view, very comfortable seating, and good drinks selection.

In general, I think that Terminal B is a lot better place to kill time at ZRH than LX' Terminal A.

WAW:
Two "Executive Lounges", non-smoking, at both ends of the terminal. Avoid the one next to the low numbered gates, this is a tiny dungeon with no windows. The other one is ok: tarmac view, no food, drink selection ok.

IST: CIP Lounge downstairs. Quite big, usually not too crowded, and rather comfortable. Sandwiches and small cold snacks. Drink selection ok.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2 - Also, is there a way I can do any internet checking on any of those airlines ? </font>
AFAIK, no internet check-in on any of these airlines.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">3 - As I only stop for "a day" in WAW, STO and ATH, and have never been there, could anyone give any tip on what to do for the day ? I'll obviously look at travel guides, but maybe any nice tip of how to make the most of my short days would be appreciated. </font>
I could provide you with detailed info about WAW and IST. Let me know how long you are staying, which time of the day and whether your stayincludes an overnight stay.

So much for what I can contribute. I am sure others here can add info about the other airports/cities you mentioned.

kooks Oct 30, 2002 2:33 am

Thanks Hajo for your comments.

Very helpfull.

kooks.

Raf Oct 30, 2002 2:41 am

Hay man.

Some Tips.
1. LOT/ Swiss - on B 737 you will get a front cabin seat - it's OK, on ERJ (WAW-STO) - it's better to fly in economy (much more space in emergency exit row 11).
Recomended special meal on LOT - seafood, or fruitplate (always fresh).
3.Warsaw tips -
***use only " MPT 919" taxi (whie cars) , bus from airport to Centre - 175.
*** Nice places - Old town and Krakowskie Przedmiescie street (for a short walk due to cold wheather), in Zacheta Gallery (ON. pL. Pilsudskiego) - RedBull creativity exchibition - nice and funny...
Have a nice time.

france usa Oct 30, 2002 3:43 am

THanks for your very useful comments. I will wait today that QG calls me back with all flight numbers and schedule(still waiting for confirmation of availability on ATH-IST) and I will provide you all other info. Your help is appreciated !!

airoli Oct 30, 2002 10:13 am

What a pleasant surprise that interlining on TK still / again works!

Please also note that since the SR grounding, the "Smoker's Lounge" at ZRH is closed.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line. ;)

france usa Oct 30, 2002 10:16 am

Wait ... I am currently on hold on the phone with QG (57' already...).. now I'm talking to someone else who can't issue the ticket "because there are more than 3 airlines on my ticket" ... how come they always have a new excuse to make you wait... more news soon...she's talking to the supervisor...

france usa Nov 19, 2002 8:53 am

So I've finally had to make a few changes to my plans, but for info, this is the itinerary that's been booked starting
21/11 ORY-IST 1605-2030 TK1828 3a
IST-ATH 820-945 TK1845 1c
ATH-ZHR 700-850 LX1843 1c
ZHR-FLR 1600-1715 LX1670 1d
FLR-BRU 1615-1810 SN3140 1c
BRU-LIS 1920-2100 TP5011 4c
LIS-ORY 1830-2145 TP5414 3c
Any advice on the seats I have ? Also, anyone has any advice on lounges etc ? I have a fair amount of time in ZHR ( I 'll try to go to the city) . Thanks !