fly on you birthday

Old Oct 14, 02, 4:53 am
Original Poster

fly on you birthday

I was very surprised when taking a trip from ZRH to LCY on my birthday: I've got a bottle of champagne and was congratulated by the crew! After all the bad news circulating around, I thought I should (against my Swiss heritage http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif ) come up with something positive.
Old Oct 14, 02, 5:15 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, Choice, Alaska, Avianca, Japan Airlines
How did they know it was your birthday?
Old Oct 14, 02, 5:40 am

I had the same experience on a SN Brussels Airlines flight, last year after they were launched.

We were traveling on my girlfriend's birthday in economy, and she got offered a bottle of champagne.

Funny note: We paid about 50EUR for the one-way flight, so I guess they lost money after giving away the champagne !

Cheers,

Jan
Old Oct 14, 02, 5:41 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
How did they know it was your birthday?</font>
Well I guess through Qualiflyer - they seem to have some sort of notification routine running on their database.
They did not offer me a free upgrade, though. But who cares on such a short flight. And I am not employed with one of the big Swiss banks so I don't have to pose on this route http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Oct 14, 02, 6:07 am
Original Member

That's great. Next week I will travel from PMI via Basel to Muc on my birthday (award business ticket). I am wondering:

- if I will receive a gift, altough I have no status on Swiss

- if I will get one gift on each segment.

I will post my experiences next week.

Old Oct 14, 02, 9:08 am

I flu on my birthday from LHR to GVA.

I got a nice bottle of Champagne as well.

They know your day of birth by the list of the passagers, they also have on the list your Qualiflyer level as well.

The best thing is to ask when then welcome you and tell you happy birthday to be upgrade..

kooks.
Old Oct 15, 02, 1:09 pm

Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
I flew on my Birthday this year (GVA-LCY). The first day SWISS operated no less (01/04) - nada.

Regards,
Alex
Old Oct 15, 02, 1:39 pm

Oops, wrong button. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ql2112 (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 23, 02, 1:28 am
Original Member

This week I flew 2 segments on Swiss (1 on a former crossair aircraft and with crossair europe) on my birthday. They even did not congratulate. Perhabs, you are more lucky flying on a aircraft with "Swissair" crew. They are much better.
Old Oct 23, 02, 3:51 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I know for sure that at least on longhaul flights, every cabin galley (F,C,Y) gets a "CLIP" paper including birthday, preferred language, seat, YTD miles and segments plus lifelong miles of all Elite members travelling in that cabin.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Oct 23, 02, 5:42 am
Original Poster

well, I think some sort of status (TC/TCG) definitively helps. But it would be nice if they did it with all the passengers from which they know the birth date.

Old Oct 23, 02, 6:30 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
...which could be a costly thing though if the gift is a bottle of champagne. For the positive effect of a nice gesture, perhaps something smaller would suffice.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Oct 23, 02, 6:58 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airoli:
...which could be a costly thing though if the gift is a bottle of champagne. For the positive effect of a nice gesture, perhaps something smaller would suffice.

</font>
I am sorry for my short reply, I am still a bit sleepy. Some sort of card would do for regular flyers. At least it would impress me even without the champagne.

Search this Thread