Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Qualiflyer
Reload this Page >

Newark to Basel: anyone remember what happened to it?

Old Aug 26, 02, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone remembers this routing and why it didn't survive. I have a few trips to Basel planned over the next six months and remembered that a nonstop from NY used to be an option. What happened?
Old Aug 26, 02, 12:09 pm
Patron

Once upon a time DL/OS/SR built the Atlantic Alliance within the Qualiflyer Group. The six-times-weekly non-stop service EWR-EAP service began Dec. 17th 1998, operated by SR Airbus A-310 (42 business-class and 143 economy seats) as a code-share with DL & and LX. LX was SRs regional subsidiary, which was developing an extensive hub-and-spoke network through EAP.

Hopefully to be continued by another flyertalker!

Links (content provided by Rudi) as a matter of curiosity only:
www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ftpasttalk_forum/Forum40/HTML/000022
www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ftpasttalk_forum/Forum40/HTML/000081

Old Aug 27, 02, 6:17 am

You mean the Pharma express! The way I understand it, this route came into existence as a result of the amount of traffic generated by Novartis and Roche between their respective global and US headquarters. I believe the route fell through after the two companies withdrew load commitments. I took this route a couple of times and it was really more like a business bus ride.
Old Aug 28, 02, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
An awful, uncomfortable plane in either class (Y or J, no F on this plane).

Search this Thread