SWISS cancellations

Old Aug 4, 02, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

SWISS cancellations

It really seems that the string of cancellations of Swiss flights for whatever reason continues.

I was booked on an award flight BRU-BSL-STR last Friday. In the morning I wanted to sign up for the SMS alert, just to find out on the internet site of Brussels Airport that all LX flights to Basel had been cancelled for the day. As I really had to arrive in STR that night I then called the Swiss Qualiflier desk which told me that only the morning and afternoon flights were cancelled, but the evening flight, where I was booked, would operate. As I didn't entirely trust the information I called as well the Swiss ticketing desk at the airport, who confirmed as well that my flight would operate. Early afternoon it even showed up again on the Brussels airport site and I was able to place my SMS alert. Just before leaving to the airport I checked on the Swiss site if the incoming LX flight from BSL to BRU was still on. Yes, it was, showing a 10 minute delay for late arrival of aircraft. 30 minutes later I got a SMS that the flight was cancelled!!!!

The whole story left an aftertaste. I really had the feeling that it had been decided beforehand to cancel the flight, without giving the proper information. The only positive part was the fact that the airport ticket desk at Brussels airport was finally very nice. When I showed up at the airport an hour before my supposed departure they rebooked my award ticket on the direct LH flight. Therefore I arrived even earlier in STR than originally scheduled!
Old Aug 4, 02, 3:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
dont' forget to ask now for miles on both itineraries:
* miles with any StarAlliance ff-program for the LH flight you actually took
* Qualiflyer miles for the Swiss flights cancelled.

This is legal and well known.
Old Aug 4, 02, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
dont' forget to ask now for miles on both itineraries:
* miles with any StarAlliance ff-program for the LH flight you actually took
* Qualiflyer miles for the Swiss flights cancelled.

This is legal and well known.
</font>

Rudy, my ticket was already paid by miles, so I don't think that I can get them from Swiss. But obviously I gave my M&M # to LH. That's for sure! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Aug 5, 02, 1:32 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Did you know if your aircraft actually made it to BRU or if the flight from BSL was cancelled as well?

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Aug 5, 02, 2:16 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airoli:
Did you know if your aircraft actually made it to BRU or if the flight from BSL was cancelled as well?

</font>
The flight from BSL was cancelled as well. At 17.00 it was still showing on the Swiss site with a 17.40 departure (scheduled 17.30); at 18.00 I got the cancellation SMS.
Old Aug 6, 02, 7:38 am

Swiss booked a Swiss award on LH? If so that is very nice of them, as I thin kthey would have to pay LH. I once had an AA award and when their flight was cancelled they put me on BA, but as they are both in the same alliance, I can understand.
Old Aug 6, 02, 7:59 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bretteee:
Swiss booked a Swiss award on LH? If so that is very nice of them, as I thin kthey would have to pay LH. </font>

Yes, they did indeed. I was very positively surprised as well. Maybe they have an agreement. It was booked in "V" class.
Old Aug 7, 02, 3:22 am
Original Member

My flight, MAD-BSL-MUC was cancelled and I was rerouted on IB MUC-MAD. Do they return the difference of the airport taxes?
Old Aug 7, 02, 3:28 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
michilo I would ask Qualiflyer to credit you the 2 (minimum miles= 1'000 * 2 status miles) cancelled segments (MAD-BSL-MUC) instead (or in add?) of the one IB segment (which is, I believe, not credited as 'status' miles, is it?).

I don't know if they will reimburse you some taxes (I probably wouldn't care).

Search this Thread