FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR Economy Class Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/987301-qr-economy-class-experiences.html)

raj208 Aug 21, 2009 10:28 am

QR Economy Class Experiences

Hello,

I have been browsing through these forums and have been trying to gather reviews of QR's Economy class experiences since the meatier and more value-added reviews and reports are from those flying Business class. Skytrax rated QR as a 5-star airline. I almost feel as if Skytrax's research process followed the same wavelength and only focused on the premium cabin services and not as much Economy.

So far from my research here and elsewhere, I have concluded to myself that QR's Business and First Class cabins have higher satisfaction ratings than its Economy class cabins, which are rated ordinary on average, but not as much good or even great. Since I will be flying JFK-Doha-TRV and back, I have also found upon asking others, that there are cruder habits exhibited by passengers that travel on this leg due to their occupations (laborers, carpenters, plumbers) etc. Consistent with this, of course, the FAs may have a tendency to get frustrated and to exhibit lower than satisfactory customer service.

So I wanted to just solicit any comments from Economy flyers on QR since this is a good area in the forum to do so. Since I am flying back without the whole family, I'm even thinking of upgrading to Business class. I am not yet sure what the cost to upgrade will be.

dmunz Aug 21, 2009 1:21 pm

For starters, outside using Qmiles, there is really no way to upgrade a ticket from Y to C. I've tried from here in the US, in Doha, and at other stations and it just is not possible. If they come back, they always talk about buying a new ticket.

As far as the Y product, I've never had a "bad" experience on QR. I've flown long-hauls from Houston, IAD, KUL and CGK as well as BAH, DUB and CAI in Y and C (F for DUB and BAH). The C product is difninately better and there is a noticable difference in the service attitude of the crew. Having said that, I don't think it is worse than any other airline. Also, less PAX make a happier crew; lots of grumpy whiney PAX = grumpy crew.

My sister in law flew QR from IAH with her family last June (at my recomendation) and the outbound aircraft was oversold with large families traveling through to Asia for thier summer break. She told me the service was horrid, no one was enforcing seat assignments, the other PAX were disruptivce and rude and the crew was no where to be seen. They barely made the meal run. She swore that, after they got back, they would never fly QR again.

On the return, the flight was 80% full with mostly business travelers (the mass return for the summer had not started) and she said it was the best flight she had ever been on. Lots of attention from the crew, eveerythihng was kept clean and there were no problems with the other PAX or meal service. She now says QR is the airline for thier travel home.

Per usuall, YMMV. I don't think there is any real difference Y to Y to Y except for the aircraft (pitch and so forth.) I've flown CO, UA, BA, QR, SQ, MH, KLM in Y and they all do a reasonable job of getting you from point A to point B. There will be really good flights on some as well as really horrid flights. The best thing you can do (if you are not tied by a FF program) is look a price, schedule and aircraft. This combined with an understanding of the load factors (and PAX content) should drive your expectations.

FWIW
DLM

raj208 Aug 22, 2009 8:09 am

It looks like we are flying 777 on the JFK-Doha and back leg, and an Airbus A321 on the Doha-TRV leg. I know the A321 is 3-3 in Y.

hyho61 Aug 23, 2009 11:26 am

I recently flew QR on economy on IAH-Doha-BOM and back and found their economy class average at best on 772 and 773.

The seats when in upright position is comfortable with sufficient leg room, but when the person in front of you leans, you have to lean also. The seats lean too much.

On the return leg Doha-IAH, I have this old lady constantly asking to move my seat upright, but I could not do that as the person in front had it leaned to the maxium, except during meal times.

The service was average and food was average too, the breakfast on the IAH-Doha sector was awful. Nothing special. They had only one selection for beer - Heineken.

The cold sandwiches in between meals were unappetizing, I flew on KLM and AF, the sandwiches were much better.

Doha airport experience was unpleasant, buses (to the terminal) take forever and they stop near the plan prior to boarding for atleast 10 minutes. The airport has few food court choices, and none of them are that good.

The only good thing was the IFE, the schedule (convenient late evening depature from IAH) and the price (rock bottom).

dmunz Aug 23, 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by hyho61 (Post 12269643)

<snip>

They had only one selection for beer - Heineken.

<snip>

They also don't have rum! I keep forgetting that and have gotten brandy and diet coke without warning. Not a deal breaker, but real anoying.

FWIW
DLM

bigal4u Aug 27, 2009 1:44 am

QR FOOD

I have flown on QR a few times, LHR-DOH-AUH, and always found the food to be barely palatable, where the % stars come from I do not know.
I was flying Economy, so assume they mean in the front for 5 star.
Schedules good though, and also the price.

i7654 Sep 13, 2009 12:13 am

Originally Posted by dmunz (Post 12269737)
They also don't have rum! I keep forgetting that and have gotten brandy and diet coke without warning. Not a deal breaker, but real anoying.

FWIW
DLM

tell me about it, dont you just hate airlines which dont have rum?? or even worse keep running out of it.they think everyone drinks jhonny walker and absolute

bashar82 Sep 18, 2009 12:29 am

My experience with QR:
DAC - LGW (business)
GVA - DAC (business)
DAC - IAD - DAC (economy)

Business class is great on QR. Seats, though at an angle, are comfortable enough. FA as professional and friendly, sometimes a little too much. However, on the ground QR is terrible. Business class lounge in the Premium Terminal is very basic when compared to other lounges, including BA lounges in LHR T4 and T5. Because of a long transit in DOH the airline provided a hotel. I spent 1 hour outside waiting for the transportation. No one seemed to care that I was a business class passenger.

I would not recommend QR economy to anyone. Service is slow and FAs act as if you're bothering them.

If you fly QR, fly business or first with them. The only reason they have economy is to fill the back of the plane.

Guy Betsy Sep 18, 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by bashar82 (Post 12399261)
I would not recommend QR economy to anyone. Service is slow and FAs act as if you're bothering them.

If you fly QR, fly business or first with them. The only reason they have economy is to fill the back of the plane.

I have to disagree with that.

I've flown with QR in economy many times and I have nothing but praise for the inflight cabin crew. Okay, ground service is another matter, when something goes wrong is a lot to be desired, but cabin crew are great.

When having to fly economy, I try to choose QR first. Like my next upcoming trip from HAM to SIN. I only went with KLM (ugh) is because QR's fares from Germany are more expensive than theirs.

QR is planning a super duper lounge when the new DOH airport opens in 2011. You cannot compare the current lounge now to anyone else's, but it certainly is better than some.