Better Overall Business Class Qatar/SAA?

Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Better Overall Business Class Qatar/SAA?

Hi I am deciding between flying business class to JNB on either Qatar Airways via Doha or SAA non-stop from IAD. What airline do you think has the better overally product? I am learning towards Qatar but its just a guess. Has anyone flown either? Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:43 pm

I fly QR business a couple of times a month between europe and asia... I wouldn't fly anything else for the time being, especially price-wise.

If price wasn't a factor, I'd probably only switch for Singapore or Cathay Pacific... no other carrier globally.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: AF-KL Flying Blue;QR Privilege Club Gold;AB Top Bonus; M&M
SA or QF C-class

Haven't flown either one, but have read great trip-reports of QR Business Class; you might want to check www.airliners.net and pull-down menu "trip reports" for some on-hand experiences
(search for QR and SA)
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
I have just completed JNB-DOH-CDG and back with QR, and I flew CDG-JNB-CDG 2 years ago when SAA were still operating the route with leased A340. QR business class is very nice (especially the catering) but they have the nasty habit of operating dozens of different aircraft configurations with last minute changes. It's quite useless to secure a good seat at booking.

How long is your connection in DOH? The Premium Terminal can get pretty boring after 2 or 3 hours. I had to wait there for 6 hours...

Here are some pictures of my recent QR experience on the JNB route:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/falco-p...7619466973761/
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
C'mon, in a US to SA competition, SAA wins hands down...my opinion as well as Executive Travel, Global Traveler, OAG, Skytrax, Business Traveler, World Travel Awards, and every other bake-off that's adjudicated on Best Airline to Africa from USA!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

What makes SAA a better choice to Africa then QR exactly? Didn't QR win best business class at the last World Travel Awards? Also QR's business class generally has higher ratings also QR's entertainment system looks a lot better than SA's.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 3:02 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
I have flown both extensively and very recently as well.

SAA definitely has the better hardware with a real flat bed (not on an angle). Other than that QR is by far superior (food, service, lounges, entertainment, etc.).

I don't know if time is a decisive factor for you but going via DOH will add substantially time-wise. OTH you would get more miles.

In terms of sleep quality and time I would recommend SA - if other issues are more important to you QR beats SA hands down.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MH017
Haven't flown either one, but have read great trip-reports of QR Business Class; you might want to check www.airliners.net and pull-down menu "trip reports" for some on-hand experiences
(search for QR and SA)
Without blinking an eye, choose Qatar, you won't be disappointed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.