Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR - is it really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
What are our choices in this regard? we are likely going to do a one time trip JFK-DOH-BKK in J later this year. I thought we would have to get the miles posted to a Qatar acct and then use them in the future on Qatar or partner airline. We will end up with a lot of miles that I hope to use in the future.
QR is a partner with LH Miles and More and UA's Mileage Plus, as well as some other Star Alliance carriers' programs; however, they don't qualify for elite-qualifying mileage in any of these programs unless you're booking it under the codeshare (i.e., JFK-DOH under the UA code, which does not sound like you're doing); booking QR flights will only get you regular Award Miles in either LH or UA... The only program that QR flights count for EQMs is its own Privilege Club program.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
QR is a partner with LH Miles and More and UA's Mileage Plus, as well as some other Star Alliance carriers' programs; however, they don't qualify for elite-qualifying mileage in any of these programs unless you're booking it under the codeshare (i.e., JFK-DOH under the UA code, which does not sound like you're doing); booking QR flights will only get you regular Award Miles in either LH or UA... The only program that QR flights count for EQMs is its own Privilege Club program.
Gotcha!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: most of them
What are our choices in this regard? we are likely going to do a one time trip JFK-DOH-BKK in J later this year. I thought we would have to get the miles posted to a Qatar acct and then use them in the future on Qatar or partner airline. We will end up with a lot of miles that I hope to use in the future.
QR have partnerships with a number of airlines. I plan to have the miles I accrue on my QR flights credited to UA MP. I think they are also partners with Virgin Atlantic.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:16 pm

[QUOTE=ClipperDelta;11219311]however, they don't qualify for elite-qualifying mileage in any of these programs unless you're booking it under the codeshare (i.e., JFK-DOH under the UA code, which does not sound like you're doing); QUOTE]

Booking QR on UA code will still not earn EQM with MP. Only RDM.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
US/UA. With the former you get status miles. Was pleasantly surprised to myself as silver after a QR flight.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also accrue on US and it counts as status miles. Look at the QR website and see the partners, most likely the same partners will let you accrue on QR flights into their program.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
You can also accrue on US and it counts as status miles. Look at the QR website and see the partners, most likely the same partners will let you accrue on QR flights into their program.
So do I buy the ticket through Qatar's website and enter a US Airways FF number?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So do I buy the ticket through Qatar's website and enter a US Airways FF number?
yes.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks for the info regarding US - I did not know that (haven't really paid attention to US' Dividend Miles program in years) - although their website is not 100% clear as to what counts for 'qualifying miles'...

Hmm, maybe I should have dumped all my QR travel into US instead...I've had Gold/Silver status in QR's Privilege Club for a few years now and it really hasn't done me any good (especially since all my travel on QR has been in paid Business anyway) maybe except for the use of the VS Clubhouse at LHR...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info regarding US - I did not know that (haven't really paid attention to US' Dividend Miles program in years) - although their website is not 100% clear as to what counts for 'qualifying miles'...

Hmm, maybe I should have dumped all my QR travel into US instead...I've had Gold/Silver status in QR's Privilege Club for a few years now and it really hasn't done me any good (especially since all my travel on QR has been in paid Business anyway) maybe except for the use of the VS Clubhouse at LHR...
I was also just like you. Never dreamt such a thing was possible untill I was pleasantly surprised at getting silver. I thought it was a mistake untill I read the requirements for elite membership which says that all airline partner flights count for status. I wish they would advertise this more as it is an awesome feature.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Qatar Transit Experience

Hello again. Having now returned from my trip, I can confirm the transit experience at Doha is just fine - plenty of announcements on board as well as at the terminal; no confusion about who is meant to be going where, and when to get off the bus; and, actually, quite a pleasant terminal (particularly in light of what a few people on here had to say about it!). The onboard Qatar economy experience was fine also, aside from a hideous piece of gristle masquerading as the chicken main on my return journey....

Thanks to all those who helped answer my original query - I will certainly be flying Qatar again.

Cheers
BigMerv
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:01 pm

Is that god awful terminal at DOH still there?. When I was last there (a year ago) my guide (who was not from Qatar, somewhere India I think) proudly showed me where the new airport is supposed to be .

Other than that QR is actually a really nice airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.