Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

His Excellency Akbar Al Baker to step down

Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:00 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

As the title says.

AAB is stepping down as CEO, albeit whether he remains within QR or IAG, who knows.

M
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just saw this on twitter/X

Nov 5 is the date it seems. Quite abrupt considering he was around for ages. I will always remember how he pulled me out of the QR F seat at the ITB
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

QRs inofficial spokesman Alex M also posted some detail:

Very weird, no succesor announced. Something must have happened.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Very weird, no succesor announced. Something must have happened.
Yes, very unusual. Like him or not, he has been there almost from the start to build a global business that leads in its industry.

Perhaps he's ill or has some personal issue requiring his full attention. In which case, I wish him well. Whatever the reason, he has done a grand job.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:37 am

Rumours point to the COO of HIA as a successor:

Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As the title says.

AAB is stepping down as CEO, albeit whether he remains within QR or IAG, who knows.

M
This is a surprising development. As far as I am aware AAB is not on IAGs board of directors
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by KingCanute
Perhaps he's ill or has some personal issue requiring his full attention. In which case, I wish him well. Whatever the reason, he has done a grand job.
Yes, at least one of the blogs has commented that there have been rumours about his health for a while, so that would explain the suddenness if it's true.

Hope he keeps well. He's done a fantastic job with QR.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Hope he keeps well. He's done a fantastic job with QR.
Yes he really has. He should be proud of what he has created
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
Qatar Airways Group confirms after 27 years of remarkable service, Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive - His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, will be stepping down from his current position as Group Chief Executive effective 5 November 2023, and will be succeeded by Engr. Badr Mohammed Al-Meer as Group Chief Executive for Qatar Airways.
https://www.qatarairways.com/press-r...ief-executive#

I wonder why the sudden depature. This news also came a day after a new chairman for Qatar Tourism was announced to replace him.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
It's extremely sad to see AAB step down after 27 years. There were several rumors about his health and I wish him the best of luck and better health. I don't care what you think about him or his controversial decisions over the past couple of decades, but QR was like his baby and he deserves credit for what he did to step up QR's game and his attention-to-detail in terms of passenger experience. I still remember him getting pissed off during the HIA trial run on the CNN Show when there was a slight dent on a wall during the tour of the HIA and having it replaced almost immediately.

Good times and I hope QR continues to flourish under the new management.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Al Baker appointed advisor to H.E the Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.

(Link - https://www.iloveqatar.net/news/gene...-affairs-qatar)

M
Old Oct 23, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Good luck to AAB.

Ill keep my fingers crossed for a new lease of life for the 380s under the new boss.
Cedar Jet and dvs7310 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
wholeheartedly agree.

Love him or hate his antics he transformed the small state of Qatar into a World Class Airline connecting continents across the globe.

Also a 7 time Skytrax best airline in the World I believe.

I recognise his need perhaps to leave suddenly and hope all goes well....

Come back recovered Sir and Head Up BA & IAG. We need you frankly!

Respect....

SteveG
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Despite his antics and some bad decisions (fight about A350), he did a magnificent job building the best airline from grounf.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:24 pm

27 years... What a run.
Circumknowitall likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.