Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

7 hour night time layover in DOH - Enough time to get to a city hotel?

Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.

Hi

Have a Midnight to 7 am layover next week and wondering if its enough time to get into a hotel get 4 hours sleep and get back to the airport?

Also any hotels close by to the airport. The transfer hotel is a bit too expensive (300) where as the hampton or double tree are around 80

travelling in business on UK passport if that helps
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
QR sells access to the Al Safwa lounge (which has private bedrooms) for half the cost you mentioned for the hotel transfer.

Originally Posted by stewaran
Hi

Have a Midnight to 7 am layover next week and wondering if its enough time to get into a hotel get 4 hours sleep and get back to the airport?

Also any hotels close by to the airport. The transfer hotel is a bit too expensive (300) where as the hampton or double tree are around 80

stewaran likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Fromager
QR sells access to the Al Safwa lounge (which has private bedrooms) for half the cost you mentioned for the hotel transfer.
i too have a 7 hour layover. OWS, business lite ticket.

When i click on 'purchase lounge access' in the booking Al Safwa is not an option for me, only oryx and al mourjan al offered.

Seems you need a business fare that includes al mourjan access to get the option to purchase al safwa access

There are various other restrictions on who can purchase access

The hotel is offering rooms for around 1100 qatari for that night.

I suspect i will stick with the platinum gold lounge
stewaran likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 13, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Hi

I think you need to buy special insurance to enter qatar at the moment.

Few passengers enter doha, way more in transit so i usually find passport control quick, but with a 7 hour layover lets say 1 hour to get to the room from the plane (passport control, taxi, hotel check in ...) then 1 hour from the hotel, check out, back to the airport, through security... need to have all the done 1 hour to 90 minutes before departure

Thats half your 7 hours gone already.

My plan is arrive midnight, explore the airport a bit which i have never done yet, maybe hit a lounge around 2am once the 2am bank of flights is departing , shower, shave, breakfast around 4, then off to my gate around 5:30 for a 7am departure
stewaran and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 13, 2023 at 3:12 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I think you need to buy special insurance to enter qatar at the moment.

Few passengers enter doha, way more in transit so i usually find passport control quick, but with a 7 hour layover lets say 1 hour to get to the room from the plane (passport control, taxi, hotel check in ...) then 1 hour from the hotel, check out, back to the airport, through security... need to have all the done 1 hour to 90 minutes before departure

Thats half your 7 hours gone already.

My plan is arrive midnight, explore the airport a bit which i have never done yet, maybe hit a lounge around 2am once the 2am bank of flights is departing , shower, shave, breakfast around 4, then off to my gate around 5:30 for a 7am departure
The special insurance is not needed for this short of a stay. I have done this a couple times now and it's worked well as even for the morning rush I have never seen long lines at security or passport control and even egates arent busy if you can access them. The Hyatt is a good option here but even something near the souq is fine distance/time wise (15min taxi/uber).
stewaran likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Fromager
How many sleeping rooms are there in AS?
Is there a good chance of getting one?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:35 pm

How many sleeping rooms are there in AS?
Is there a good chance of getting one?
Your chances of being able to secure a sleep room in Al Safwa at midnight are slim to zero. It is peak time and they will almost certainly all be taken. This has been reported many times in the Al Safwa thread. And without one of those rooms, Al Safwa is not a great place to overnight if you want to get some sleep.

If the transit hotel is too expensive you could also look at the Sleep n Fly pods which are also airside in 2 locations:

https://sleep-n-fly.com
DiamondMile, seanp7 and SKT-DK like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:04 am

IMO, seven hours is enough time to get a few hours of quality sleep at the Doubletree. To clear immigration at DOH and get a taxi to the Doubletree will take you approximately 1 1/4 hours. If you leave the hotel 2 1/4 hours prior to departure, youve got plenty of time for a solid nap in a real bed. The Doubletree for the price is a steal. Taxis/Uber cost about $12 with tip each way.
stewaran likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:28 am

I had a similar layover and the AM Garden was surprisingly empty and it was not difficult securing a quiet room. The lounge chairs arent the best for sleeping but I managed a few hours. My timeline:

23:45 deplaned from Terminal A
00:15 arrived at AM Garden, enrolled for quiet room but had to wait for cleaning
00:30 received double room
00:45 bathing facilities
01:15 light dining (sushi is very mediocre and noticed more staff than lounge guests)
02:00 tried sleeping and maybe slept half the time
05:30 morning preparations
06:00 checked out quiet room, light breakfast and coffee
07:30 headed to gate (Terminal C) for 08:15 departure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.