Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Australian Government blocks Qatar Airways bid for more flights

Old Jul 19, 23, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-perth-flights

Wonder if Qatar could "buy" VA planes that are registered in Australia and use those to fly AUS-DOH
Old Jul 19, 23, 12:18 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-perth-flights

Wonder if Qatar could "buy" VA planes that are registered in Australia and use those to fly AUS-DOH
They already have them. All they need is VA to approve and fly
Old Jul 19, 23, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VA 2.0 now only have B737
VA 1.0, that went into deep administration and now does not exist, had 4 off B777. Of these 2 were leased and 2 "owned " by VA, but with financial debt instruments over them held by banks (read the VA annual reports). All repossessed by the real owners of the aircraft. VA1.0 used to fly to AUH for a short time.

Anyway its the not the physical aircraft that matter. Its the airline company, air operating certificate and bilateral flight agreements.
Old Jul 19, 23, 2:00 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Some 10 days ago I flew MEL-DOH and the flight was 100% full (both J and Y). These flights are almost always full. If EK, SQ and others have additional flights, why not QR?
Old Jul 19, 23, 3:03 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by florin
Some 10 days ago I flew MEL-DOH and the flight was 100% full (both J and Y). These flights are almost always full. If EK, SQ and others have additional flights, why not QR?
we all know the real reason, typical Qantas being a little childish
florin and choosethedrew like this.
Old Jul 19, 23, 3:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Regardless, it's always bad for normal travelers like you or me. flights to Australia are mostly full. With less seats and high demand all year round, prices are going to be crazy.
florin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 23, 5:05 am

Programs: QF Gold
Yep the aussie govt working for Qantas ... not for the people.
florin and AAtticus like this.
Old Jul 19, 23, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by davem4
Yep the aussie govt working for Qantas ... not for the people.
How comes Qantas can act as puppet master in this way? They dont even carry the most people into Australia internationally, I think I once read. They are a fairly small player internationally and yet they wield disproportionate power it would seem.
florin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 23, 8:52 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
How comes Qantas can act as puppet master in this way? They dont even carry the most people into Australia internationally, I think I once read. They are a fairly small player internationally and yet they wield disproportionate power it would seem.
Similar to what AC does in Canada. AC objects to almost every foreign airline presence that doesn't benefit them in one way or the other.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 23, 4:28 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by qraec777
Similar to what AC does in Canada. AC objects to almost every foreign airline presence that doesn't benefit them in one way or the other.
hence why its more expensive to fly YYZ-YVR than YYZ-LHR at times lol
Old Jul 19, 23, 8:20 pm

I wouldn't say that QF is a small player internationally; they do fly to a fair amount of int'l destinations, way more than any other airline. As for QF being a puppet master, governments favouring big companies to the detriment of the people they are hired to serve is not exactly a new concept. 😒
Old Jul 20, 23, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by florin
I wouldn't say that QF is a small player internationally; they do fly to a fair amount of int'l destinations, way more than any other airline. As for QF being a puppet master, governments favouring big companies to the detriment of the people they are hired to serve is not exactly a new concept. 😒
I dont know if the situation has changed but SQ used to carry more international passengers into Australia than QF, and yet QF get to call the shots and stop other airlines expanding.

Despite how the Qantas PR machine would have you think otherwise, they are a small airline internationally. The long haul fleet is just 49, so slightly larger than Virgin Atlantic but significantly smaller than KLM. Neither of which would have anyone thinking is a huge global airline. Yes they may serve more destinations as their market is not a frequency market like certain EU-US routes but their brand is a way bigger than what they actually do internationally.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Jul 20, 23 at 2:02 am
Old Jul 20, 23, 3:14 am

Lets not forget the current Australian PM used to be transport minister when he secretly told the rating agencies in 2013/2014 that the Australian government guaranteed Qantas' debts, in the event Qantas defaulted. Wasnt made public at the time and Qantas paid nothing for using the taxpayer balance sheet

Qantas gives a lot of soft benefits to Australian politicians, just so they can have influence over decisions like this. Its called corruption in other countries.

Australia generally is a very expensive place to live and work, partly because lack of competition in its economy, its not helped by decisions like this.
Old Jul 20, 23, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
This decision shows that Australia is a closed shop in support of Qantas in particular. The airline and maybe even the country, does not like competition
It's a shameful decision. Qantas is expensive and not that good. They have only 3 international flights from Perth as an example. London, Singapore and a seasonal Rome. Its a terrible decision .
During COVID Qatar brought people home. They operated when Qantas sat on the ground. The politicians have not served to people of Australia well here.
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:33 pm

Oh the irony of talking about an airline getting support from the gov't... on the QR forum 😁

Yeah, QF gets a lot of love from the Aussie gov't and ultimately it's to the detriment of Aussies.

Originally Posted by SW7London
Qantas gives a lot of soft benefits to Australian politicians, just so they can have influence over decisions like this. Its called corruption in other countries.

Australia generally is a very expensive place to live and work, partly because lack of competition in its economy, its not helped by decisions like this.
Lots of large entities get benefits from governments... corruption, lobbying... call it whatever; it's a ubiquitous reality.

I don’t know if the situation has changed but SQ used to carry more international passengers into Australia than QF, and yet QF get to call the shots and stop other airlines expanding.

Despite how the Qantas PR machine would have you think otherwise, they are a small airline internationally. The long haul fleet is just 49, so slightly larger than Virgin Atlantic but significantly smaller than KLM. Neither of which would have anyone thinking is a huge global airline. Yes they may serve more destinations as their market is not a frequency market like certain EU-US routes but their brand is a way bigger than what they actually do internationally.
Comparing QF to KL is a bit unfair. KL is an all int'l airline, with lots of feeder pax to/from Europe, whereas Australia is not geographically positioned to be a major transit hub. You do make a good point about QF not carrying most of the int'l pax in and out of Australia; apparently SQ did carry 0.1% more pax that one month, according to that article, so technically you are probably right... but QF is still THE major airline in Australia. As the article said, QF have brought back more A380s since, there is the partnership with AY as well... they've been increasing the int'l footprint so not sure if that's still true. It doesn't make it less fair for us Aussies tho.

ETA: as someone who flies QR regularly, I would want more QR flights in and out of MEL. They've gone from 1 to 2 daily and they are packed to the brim; clearly there is room for growth. Things like women being strip searched in DOH before their flight to SYD doesn't help their cause...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54682565

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.