Qcredits to be replaced with Keys

Old Jul 16, 23, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Qcredits to be replaced with Keys

According to an email just received:

"Keys will replace Qcredits and unlock availability to the award flights and upgrades of your choice. This will give you the chance to spend Avios on award flights to remarkable destinations, or upgrades to indulge in ultimate luxury.*

Your current Qcredits balance will be automatically converted into Keys soon. You will receive two Keys for every year that you renew your Platinum tier"

No sign of the *T&Cs, but if this means 2 guaranteed upgrades and/or standard rate redemptions per year that is a positive enhancement for me!
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Jul 16, 23, 11:29 am

Programs: QR Gold, PA Lifetime Clipper Club
The email I received for Gold is nowhere near as enticing as the Platinum one.
Old Jul 16, 23, 1:15 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ANA Gold, WY Sinbad Gold
Just saw this as well. Curious how the conversion rate is. Currently have 80 Qcredits saved and was planning on using for an upcoming trip beginning of august
Old Jul 16, 23, 1:57 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I suspect it is one of those "enhancements" which benefit only the airline. As it says: Keys will replace Qcredits and unlock availability to the award flights and upgrades of your choice. This will give you the chance to spend Avios on award flights to remarkable destinations, Note the difference to QCredits? With QCredits you could upgrade a flight WITHOUT spending AVIOS. I hope I am wrong.
Old Jul 16, 23, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by homer3152
I suspect it is one of those "enhancements" which benefit only the airline. As it says: Keys will replace Qcredits and unlock availability to the award flights and upgrades of your choice. This will give you the chance to spend Avios on award flights to remarkable destinations, Note the difference to QCredits? With QCredits you could upgrade a flight WITHOUT spending AVIOS. I hope I am wrong.

I suspect you are right. The way they phrased it makes it sound like you can use a key to unlock award availability, i.e. turn a revenue seat into award space. Overall, seems like a hefty devaluation. I hope they provide some buffer time for people to use their QCredits normally.
Old Jul 16, 23, 2:26 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
I will gobble an entire packet of m&ms in one go if QR decides to further devalue the QCredits and rebrand them as "Keys".
RK23 and Alfredbali like this.
Old Jul 16, 23, 3:00 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by KingCanute

No sign of the *T&Cs, but if this means 2 guaranteed upgrades and/or standard rate redemptions per year that is a positive enhancement for me!
hh yes, miracles do happen, but you really believe in that?
Old Jul 16, 23, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Sounds similar to the Space Release benefit for BA Gold Guest List members.

In that case we get 2x opportunities to flip up to 5x cash return journeys worth of seats (in all but the most flexible fare buckets in all classes) into avios redemptions.

It has turned out to be one of the most valuable benefits of the scheme for GGLs.

Separately GGLs and Golds earn Gold Upgrade Vouchers which enable upgrades to the next class without avios (though any tax differences are chargeable).
Loungeabout and KingCanute like this.
Old Jul 16, 23, 4:32 pm

Curious branding question - isn't it more catchy to simply call them Qeys?
jah718, florin and kl1987 like this.
Old Jul 16, 23, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveller999
hh yes, miracles do happen, but you really believe in that?
Yes I do, the northern hemisphere nights are drawing in again now and it will soon be Christmas

We shall have to wait and see what this all means in practice of course but if it unlocks redemption availability and/or gives a guaranteed upgrade like the BA examples mentioned, that would be a tangible improvement for me over Qcredits, which I find increasingly unusable and tend to just go to waste now, much like the lounge passes.

There will no doubt be potential winners and losers as there are from any adjustment, perhaps according to how these work for our own usual travel patterns, or a slight widening of the gap between gold and platinum (I gather gold.will only get one key per year, so a slight devaluation compared with 40 v 60 Qcredits - although perhaps not so much if these Keys are more usable). And it will be interesting to see if you can receive more keys by racking up more Qpoints, as you can now with Qcredits.

But until we hear the details, in the meantime we can dream of miracles arriving...
Traveller999 and fender5787 like this.
Old Jul 16, 23, 6:31 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
So I might as well try to spend all my Qcredits now then before I get give 2 Keys... What a crappy downgrade. 2 keys?! What am I going to do with 2 keys?!?
Old Jul 16, 23, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
So I might as well try to spend all my Qcredits now then before I get give 2 Keys... What a crappy downgrade. 2 keys?! What am I going to do with 2 keys?!?
We don't know how they work yet though do we. If one key gets you a one way upgrade on your ticketed journey AAA-DOH-BBB, then that would be an improvement in the very many cases where your 40 or 60 Qcredits weren't enough to do the same. Or if a key opens up a regular price redemption rather than X2 or paying cash, that's an improvement too.

Yes perhaps I'm dreaming too big, but until we know the details the doom and gloom may also be premature...
Traveller999 and Loungeabout like this.
Old Jul 17, 23, 7:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KingCanute
We don't know how they work yet though do we. If one key gets you a one way upgrade on your ticketed journey AAA-DOH-BBB, then that would be an improvement in the very many cases where your 40 or 60 Qcredits weren't enough to do the same. Or if a key opens up a regular price redemption rather than X2 or paying cash, that's an improvement too.

Yes perhaps I'm dreaming too big, but until we know the details the doom and gloom may also be premature...
My suspicion is you are dreaming too big and that based on the wording of QR's email a Key will open up a 2x redemption for one sector when there is currently no availability, but let's wait and see.
Old Jul 17, 23, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
My suspicion is you are dreaming too big and that based on the wording of QR's email a Key will open up a 2x redemption for one sector when there is currently no availability, but let's wait and see.
Maybe it's a 1x redemption. QCredits were akin to a system wide upgrade (SWU) but required award availability. It is/was currency that you can use for UGs. The keys might be unlocking award availability (e.g. U) but requiring Avios to pay for the UG.
Before: QCredits = conditional upgrade
After: Keys = availability (opportunity to pay for an UG with Avios)

For me, this would be a devaluation.
Old Jul 18, 23, 3:29 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by florin
Maybe it's a 1x redemption. QCredits were akin to a system wide upgrade (SWU) but required award availability. It is/was currency that you can use for UGs. The keys might be unlocking award availability (e.g. U) but requiring Avios to pay for the UG.
Before: QCredits = conditional upgrade
After: Keys = availability (opportunity to pay for an UG with Avios)

For me, this would be a devaluation.
Agree, which fits the term 'key' rather than 'credit' that could be used to pay for upgrade. Sounds like devaluation to me masked as 'enhancement' as usual.
Traveller999 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.