Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged bag advice

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Damaged bag advice

Son has just arrived back from Australia today (Booked via BA, flights with Qatar) Upon arrival at Heathrow and recovering his bag, there’s a huge crack on the lower section of the case and damaged wheel. I bought him the case for the Australia trip, so it’s brand new. Purchased via Amazon so I have the receipt etc. He hasn’t reported it at Heathrow as he’s just off an extremely long flight but took some pics and video when he noticed it on the conveyor belt. Any advice on how best to proceed, is it BA or Qatar for the claim ?
Old May 28, 2023, 10:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Qatar - assuming they were the final bag handler. And Qatar's policies apply.

It's usually best to report at the time since usually reporting it later takes more time and effort.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Might have a hard time with Qatar, who say that if you leave the airport without reporting it, it's evidence that it was in good condition
Old May 28, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Spoke to Qatar on the phone and as advised by the agent, I’ve submitted a complaint under baggage services / baggage acceptance. Forwarded the video and still images of the case in the baggage hall, so fingers crossed they’ll replace it in some shape or form. Thanks for your help
Takubon likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by revorgap
Might have a hard time with Qatar, who say that if you leave the airport without reporting it, it's evidence that it was in good condition
You have 7 days to report damaged baggage and any claim by QR that you must do so immediately won’t hold water! Qatar web site has a function for this.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/mishandled.html

if that doesn’t work try this, which I got from QRSince your query is related to delayed, damage baggage or lost property, please click the below link to connect with our agents through WhatsApp live chat.

https://haqiba.qatarairways.com.qa/baggagetracking
If that doesn’t work try this email

[email protected]

My bag damaged in February and in AUH they wouldn’t let me report it was all done on line and was, as is everything with QR, a painful experience.

report on line and you should be palmed off quickly to K2 in Maidenhead who will need receipts etc to process a replacement. They rarely provided anything other than a generic bag of dubious provenance and bizarrely priced. The replacement for my Wenger was bigger and nothing like the quality.
revorgap and mike&co like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I had a different experience last year, with a wheel ripped off a Rimowa on arrival in BKK.

Agent took all the paperwork at the belt, pictures and all included. Arranged for pickup of the damaged suitcase at my hotel the next morning, had it sent to local Rimowa repair center and back to me two weeks later (local holidays extended the turnaround a bit). Suitcase looked as good as new when I got it back.

-A
Old May 28, 2023, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by binman
You have 7 days to report damaged baggage and any claim by QR that you must do so immediately won’t hold water! Qatar web site has a function for this.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/mishandled.html

if that doesn’t work try this, which I got from QRSince your query is related to delayed, damage baggage or lost property, please click the below link to connect with our agents through WhatsApp live chat.

https://haqiba.qatarairways.com.qa/baggagetracking
If that doesn’t work try this email

[email protected]

My bag damaged in February and in AUH they wouldn’t let me report it was all done on line and was, as is everything with QR, a painful experience.

report on line and you should be palmed off quickly to K2 in Maidenhead who will need receipts etc to process a replacement. They rarely provided anything other than a generic bag of dubious provenance and bizarrely priced. The replacement for my Wenger was bigger and nothing like the quality.
Excellent, thank you. I sent off all the details to the email address provided as the first option was returning an error but it’s just been returned via [email protected] Can you please check the email address provided. May we’ll be an issue at my end, not sure.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Excellent, thank you. I sent off all the details to the email address provided as the first option was returning an error but it’s just been returned via [email protected] Can you please check the email address provided. May we’ll be an issue at my end, not sure.
try

[email protected]

ill keep looking for emails but fear I have deleted everything
mike&co likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I guess that you have tried the "official" page:
https://haqiba.qatarairways.com.qa/Haqiba

Unfortunately, it is quite common that this page or other email addresses do not work.

Good luck in your quest.
QR is protecting itself (https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/mishandled.html)

Damaged baggage

Please ensure your baggage is sufficiently robust, well packed, and properly secured to withstand the usual rigours of air travel.

If your baggage is damaged, you should report upon arrival before leaving the arrival terminal at the dedicated baggage desk within the baggage claims area. A Property Irregularity Report (also known as PIR) will be issued. You will also need to submit a written claim through ‘My Baggage’ within seven days, once you have left the airport.

Mishandled baggage reports must be filed, within seven days from the date of receipt of the baggage, at the latest.

Please note that accepting your baggage, without complaint, at the time of delivery is prima facie evidence that it has been delivered in good condition. It also means that the acceptance is in accordance with the conditions of contract.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by brunos
... Please note that accepting your baggage, without complaint, at the time of delivery is prima facie evidence that it has been delivered in good condition. It also means that the acceptance is in accordance with the conditions of contract.
I disagree, The Montreal Convection does not require a passenger to report damage at the airport, it does require that any claim is made within 7 days of receiving the damaged item. An airline cannot restrict or contract out of Convention passenger rights.
brunos and mike&co like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I disagree, The Montreal Convection does not require a passenger to report damage at the airport, it does require that any claim is made within 7 days of receiving the damaged item. An airline cannot restrict or contract out of Convention passenger rights.
correct, there is no requirement to report upon delivery
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Update, after submitting the claim on line on 29th I have heard nothing. Just sent off an email to [email protected] . This is the email that was in the acknowledgement receipt.

I’ve included the video my son took in the baggage hall that clearly shows the damage. All paperwork was submitted at the time, including the invoice for the case, flight numbers, boarding passes etc.

Does anyone know what the normal time scale is for action as my son is heading off again mid July and requires a case ?
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:02 am

Not reporting it at the time to QR's ground handling agents adds a few layers of admin to this, as it now sits in inboxes in various places before being moved on and on until likely ending up with a company called K2 (as it a UK claim) assessing the damage and issuing a report on what happens next, which then passes through the inboxes again on the way back. It is also possible they will ask you to send them (K2) the actual bag before making a final decision.

Whilst it would have been much better for your son to have reported it at the time, not doing so creates delays whilst not invalidating any claim.

It’s only 10 days since you lodged the claim, and 5 or 6 weeks until he needs the bag again. It's important to you but just one of very many claims every day for the airline, ground handlers and baggage repair company. I would sit tight for a while and be realistic And in the meantime report it to his travel insurers (or your own home contents insurers or card issuer since you bought it) as a potential future claim. You only need agreement from them a few days before travel to buy another bag
Schwann and mike&co like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mike&co
Just sent off an email to [email protected] . This is the email that was in the acknowledgement receipt.
Ah interesting, in that case there is a pattern to the Lost Luggage mailboxes for QR. When I was dealing with QR back in 2017 for something lost at Brussels the mailbox address was [email protected]

So it appears to be <airport_code>llqr@<country_code>.qatarairlines.co m
mike&co and choosethedrew like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:45 am
Original Poster

So, another month has passed and after two emails and several tweets, I’m no further forward. Son leaves in 10 days time for Croatia and he’s starting to worry. I tweeted Qatar and in fairness, they came back to me really quickly via DM. However, since that initial contact on 27 June I’m no further forward. They stated they would escalate it to the relevant team on 27 June but since then he’s heard absolutely nothing. I DM’d them again last Friday and they responded “please follow up with us after sometime. Thank you”
My patience is now wearing thin. Is this the norm when it comes to baggage claims ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.