Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Doha with controlled substances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaving for a trip to Kazakhstan and Turkey in just under two weeks, connecting through Doha. I have a very short layover on the outbound and an overnight on the return. I am prescribed Adderall for ADHD and am wondering if I will have any trouble while connecting/transiting through Doha. I would plan to keep the meds in the original prescription bottle and take only what I need for the duration of the trip. I gather that I should be fine in Kazakhstan and Turkey if carrying in the original Rx bottle, but am worried about Qatar and am challenged to find a reliable resource. Any feedback or information in this regard would be appreciated.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:39 pm

Ordinarily I would say that if you are staying airside I suspect you won't have any problem. You won't be going through Qatari Customs so would only be subject to the usual type of airport security checks. But if you are worried, the usual advice for prescription meds anywhere is to carry them in the original packaging and have a copy of the prescription or a doctor's letter to confirm what it is and that it's for you, just in case anyone asks.

But given the specific medicstion, you may also want to check directly with either the airline and/or the Qatar embassy or consulate in your country.

Last edited by KingCanute; May 21, 2023 at 10:20 pm
Old May 22, 2023, 4:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The official UK travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office says: "If you need to bring controlled/prescription medication into Qatar, make sure you carry it in its original packaging, accompanied by your prescription and an official letter signed and stamped by your doctor stating the type of medication and why it’s required."

Obviously that is the UK Government's interpretation of the rules but I have found them to be very accurate. The relevant FC&DO info will be found here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...9;s%20required. There is some vert useful info there with guidance on where to find additional official Qatari guidance including this link:

Pharmacy and Drug Control Department

Old May 22, 2023, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The official UK travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office says: "If you need to bring controlled/prescription medication into Qatar, make sure you carry it in its original packaging, accompanied by your prescription and an official letter signed and stamped by your doctor stating the type of medication and why it’s required."

Obviously that is the UK Government's interpretation of the rules but I have found them to be very accurate. The relevant FC&DO info will be found here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...9;s%20required. There is some vert useful info there with guidance on where to find additional official Qatari guidance including this link:

Pharmacy and Drug Control Department

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:21 pm

Question Doha

Originally Posted by gophish11
I'm leaving for a trip to Kazakhstan and Turkey in just under two weeks, connecting through Doha. I have a very short layover on the outbound and an overnight on the return. I am prescribed Adderall for ADHD and am wondering if I will have any trouble while connecting/transiting through Doha. I would plan to keep the meds in the original prescription bottle and take only what I need for the duration of the trip. I gather that I should be fine in Kazakhstan and Turkey if carrying in the original Rx bottle, but am worried about Qatar and am challenged to find a reliable resource. Any feedback or information in this regard would be appreciated.

We leave for Tanzania from the US next week and have an 8 hour layover in Doha. We are flying Atlanta to Doha and Doha to Kilimanjaro all on Qatar air. Did you have an issues with the Adderall? Did you have to go through security again in Doha? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.