Qatar Yellow Fever Certificates

Old May 17, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Qatar Yellow Fever Certificates

Hello everyone,

Just after a bit of advice... I am doing a stopover (48 hours) in Qatar enroute home to the UK from Tanzania this summer.

From what I can tell, I will need to show a Yellow Fever certificate to enter Qatar as Tanzania is on the yellow fever list. However on checking with my doctor they say Tanzania is only classes as 'low risk' rather than high risk and they think therefore certification might not be required. I cannot find anywhere a reference to Qatar differentiating between low and high risk.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by barnstaple
Hello everyone,

Just after a bit of advice... I am doing a stopover (48 hours) in Qatar enroute home to the UK from Tanzania this summer.

From what I can tell, I will need to show a Yellow Fever certificate to enter Qatar as Tanzania is on the yellow fever list. However on checking with my doctor they say Tanzania is only classes as 'low risk' rather than high risk and they think therefore certification might not be required. I cannot find anywhere a reference to Qatar differentiating between low and high risk.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks
See
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/183/qatar
And click through to Vaccine reccomendations and open:
https://nathnacyfzone.org.uk/factshe...r-transmission

Tanzania is listed in Table 2 which is low risk of YF transmission. Usually you will only need a YF cert if travelling from Table 1, unless the country you are entering (Qatar) specifies otherwise.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:12 pm

Not required if coming from Tanzania
https://www.who.int/publications/m/i...november-2022)
Old May 17, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold, PA Lifetime Clipper Club
If you have received a shot in the past----Per the CDC, a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and a booster dose of the vaccine is not needed. Not that 10 years or lifetime, depending on what agency you want to go with, is something I would go with when it comes to yellow fever.

Additionally, it also depends on the season and where you will be you will be in Tanz. I have always tried to travel there in the dry season.

Last edited by bundubasher; May 17, 2023 at 9:59 pm
Old May 17, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Not required if coming from Tanzania
https://www.who.int/publications/m/i...november-2022)
But pretty much any country on the African continent requires YF certificate for entry, so wouldn't it then be very hard to travel from e.g. Tanzania and not have a YF certificate in the first place?

-A
Old May 18, 2023, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
But pretty much any country on the African continent requires YF certificate for entry, so wouldn't it then be very hard to travel from e.g. Tanzania and not have a YF certificate in the first place?

-A
No, depends on the country. See my first link above. You don't need YF cert if arriving from a non/low-YF risk country if entering Tanzania.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Gold, PA Lifetime Clipper Club
I think you will need to get the shot. Qatar is a bit of a stickler about these things. In all the years I have gone through Tanz., never been asked to show proof.
Passengers arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission or Rwanda and not holding a yellow fever vaccination certificate are subject to vaccination upon arrival.(if they check, it will be b4 you try to board going home most likely)
nancypants likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by bundubasher
I think you will need to get the shot. Qatar is a bit of a stickler about these things. In all the years I have gone through Tanz., never been asked to show proof.
Passengers arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission or Rwanda and not holding a yellow fever vaccination certificate are subject to vaccination upon arrival.(if they check, it will be b4 you try to board going home most likely)
I read it differently. If you play around and put definite countries in transit such as Chad or Togo the statement is "Vaccination against yellow fever required."

The WHO list of at risk countries is: https://www.who.int/publications/m/i...(november-2022)

Whether the border at Qatar follows the WHO rules correctly is maybe the risk.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
But pretty much any country on the African continent requires YF certificate for entry
About a third (18)
Old May 19, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I am tempted to play safe and get the shot. I've already had it but have lost the certificate and my GP surgery say they can't (or won't) re issue one so Ill likely just get it again and my 8 year old son will have to have it for the first time which was the bit I was tempted to try and avoid if possible...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.