Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR posting seemingly random amounts of avios before even flying?

Old Apr 12, 23, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, UA Premier Plat, DL Silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Hey all,

As I wait for an upcoming QR flight which leaves in an hour or so, I just got 2 texts from QR saying they just deposited a random amount of avios for the flight I’m waiting for along with the next segment. I haven’t flown either and based on the Q calculator, it’s a decent amount t lower than the actual avios I should be earning. Further, it hasn’t given me any qpoints either. Is this just another QRPC bug where I should just shrug? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Apr 12, 23, 1:09 am

They have started posting avios before take off, with the idea that you may wish to spend them in the duty free at DOH.

I agree the amounts don't always make sense, but appear to be around the base amount for the cabin you are in. The fare bucket uplifts and tier bonuses will post during each flight along with the qpoints, at which point the entries the my activities section of your account should correct themselves. That said, some of my individual entries still don’t look right after a recent flight, but the totals awarded are correct.
florin and haroon145 like this.
Old Apr 12, 23, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, UA Premier Plat, DL Silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KingCanute
They have started posting avios before take off, with the idea that you may wish to spend them in the duty free at DOH.

I agree the amounts don't always make sense, but appear to be around the base amount for the cabin you are in. The fare bucket uplifts and tier bonuses will post during each flight along with the qpoints, at which point the entries the my activities section of your account should correct themselves. That said, some of my individual entries still don’t look right after a recent flight, but the totals awarded are correct.
Ahh interesting, thanks for the info!
Old Apr 12, 23, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC
And posting just before you fly only applies if you are crediting to QRPC, if you credit elsewhere then it will take the usual amount of time which can take between a day through to a week or so.
Old Apr 12, 23, 1:59 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Yup, what KingCanute said
Old Apr 12, 23, 7:57 am

I must admit, QR IT systems are not the best but that's pretty cool they post before you transfer in Doha with the idea to spend them there.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 12, 23, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAtticus
I must admit, QR IT systems are not the best but that's pretty cool they post before you transfer in Doha with the idea to spend them there.
With a woeful exchange rate no doubt...
Old Apr 12, 23, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by plunet
And posting just before you fly only applies if you are crediting to QRPC, if you credit elsewhere then it will take the usual amount of time which can take between a day through to a week or so.
Or in most cases don't show up at all, until you call or chat with them, then it "magically" appear almost instantly..
Old Apr 12, 23, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Or in most cases don't show up at all, until you call or chat with them, then it "magically" appear almost instantly..
I don't think there are many reports of QR marketed and operated flights not crediting to QRPC promptly. Perhaps a handful here and there, but delays with partner flights and codeshsares are much more widely reported across this website, and are generally down to the operator in my experience
Old Apr 12, 23, 2:05 pm

At duty free last week out of curiosity I asked how much Avois a carton of ciggs was, and when the guy tried to check, the system was not giving it a price, but he said rule of thumb was 4K Avois was about 100QAR. Does that sound right?
Old Apr 12, 23, 2:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
There's a string of articles on HFP NEW: Spend and earn Avios on duty free at Doha Airport (headforpoints.com)
Old Apr 12, 23, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ziek
At duty free last week out of curiosity I asked how much Avois a carton of ciggs was, and when the guy tried to check, the system was not giving it a price, but he said rule of thumb was 4K Avois was about 100QAR. Does that sound right?
Well a box of 600 Benson and Hedges was 231QAR so for an Avios price of approximately 10k Avios it seems like an awful deal.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Apr 12, 23, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Well a box of 600 Benson and Hedges was 231QAR so for an Avios price of approximately 10k Avios it seems like an awful deal.
Could even be that you cant use Avios for smokes or booze, only perfumes and stuff? I am passing through again on Sat, will try again and see what the rate is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.