QR F Menus 2023

Old May 19, 2023, 4:22 pm

Qr832 doh-bkk

Underwhelming choices. All the seafood tasted stale. And no Krug.

Old May 19, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Underwhelming choices. All the seafood tasted stale. And no Krug.

Ooof, thats a shame to hear. When I flew 832 last month, the food was pretty great, and of course the 2004 Krug helped wash it down. Do you recall the champagne thats currently offered now? Hopefully its a decent vintage that somewhat makes up for the lack of Krug!

Last edited by fender5787; May 19, 2023 at 5:41 pm
Old May 19, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: Some
I had 2004 Krug in F just last week and was glad to see it back, I sincerely hope that was a one off and it’s not gone again!
Old May 19, 2023, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by fender5787
Ooof, thats a shame to hear. When I flew 832 last month, the food was pretty great, and of course the 2004 Krug helped wash it down. Do you recall the champagne thats currently offered now? Hopefully its a decent vintage that somewhat makes up for the lack of Krug!
Champagnes were Rare Millsime and Alexandra Laurent-Perrier Ros (cant remember which year though).

I didnt bother with them and ended up drinking the non alcoholic Blossom and So Jennie instead.
Old May 20, 2023, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Champagnes were Rare Millsime and Alexandra Laurent-Perrier Ros (can’t remember which year though).

I didn’t bother with them and ended up drinking the non alcoholic Blossom and So Jennie instead.

The Piper-Heidsieck Rare Brut Millesime is quite a decent wine, as is the Alexandra for that matter. From my recent experiences the champagnes were the only items that could be considered ‘premium’, as you found I too found the food offering, caviar excepted, equally poor and disappointing.
Old May 20, 2023, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Champagnes were Rare Millsime and Alexandra Laurent-Perrier Ros (cant remember which year though).

I didnt bother with them and ended up drinking the non alcoholic Blossom and So Jennie instead.
RARE is the Champagne that AF serves in its La Premiere. It is not a downgrade from Krug.
Old May 20, 2023, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos
RARE is the Champagne that AF serves in its La Premiere. It is not a downgrade from Krug.
I beg to differ, I’d take Krug NV over it anytime having drunk plenty of both. However, we are talking about 2004 Krug here in any case and therefore your view is likely to be an even more minority one.

I will certainly be expressing my opinions to QR if my flight next week is back to the Piper. It doesn’t even work to serve it on a plane to me, it’s far too light bodied and tastes of almost nothing at altitude.
Old May 25, 2023, 12:21 am

Charles Heidsieck on my flight last night. It appears Krug may well be no more - either the stocks have run out or it was a Ramadan special

Old May 25, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Just booked an F award with QR from BKK to DOH and this is underwhelming indeed. FWIW I was just in business DOH-ORD like 2 weeks ago and 2 out of the 4 mains (prawns and chicken) were the same in business. The two champagnes were also business offering on both DOH-ORD and DPS-DOH. That's kind of depressing b/c we specifically booked flight through BKK rather than direct from Japan to Doha to experience the first class before it's gone.

Frankly, I'd be quite pissed if I got (almost) the same menu in F as in J given the price differential. I'm on points so I care less I guess and I'm after the F lounge more than the flight.

As a side point, they really need to do something about the boarding experience in DOH for J and F. It's worse than what you have at domestic flights in the US.

Last edited by outgoing; May 25, 2023 at 12:36 pm
Old May 25, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by outgoing
The two champagnes were also business offering on both DOH-ORD and DPS-DOH.
The LP Alexandra Rose currently offered in both classes are F quality bottles rather than Jso actually you have the opposite case here where QR is splurging with their J champagne budget to the point where it actually removes any differential between F/J.

The other champagne in J is not offered in F (if you are referring to the CH one its not the same one as in J, the F one is the Blanc des Millenaires rather than the regular one). Which was the other one you are referring to? Usually only 1 will overlap with F
Old May 25, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Fair, my bad, the CH was the regular CH and not the Blanc des Millenaires. But, yes, Alexandra Rose was there. Still, I'd expect a larger differential between F and J given how rare F is on QR and the price difference (in $ b/c in miles it's actually pretty close). I do have to say that Qsuites is now probably the best J product in the world or at least from among those that I flew which is AA, JL, AY, EY, BA (no the suites), CX, QF, and LH. That's why I'd expect even more from F in terms of soft product especially if, to my understanding, the hard product is not competitive with what others like Emirates or Singapore Air or even JAL are offering.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by outgoing
Fair, my bad, the CH was the regular CH and not the Blanc des Millenaires. But, yes, Alexandra Rose was there. Still, I'd expect a larger differential between F and J given how rare F is on QR and the price difference (in $ b/c in miles it's actually pretty close). I do have to say that Qsuites is now probably the best J product in the world or at least from among those that I flew which is AA, JL, AY, EY, BA (no the suites), CX, QF, and LH. That's why I'd expect even more from F in terms of soft product especially if, to my understanding, the hard product is not competitive with what others like Emirates or Singapore Air or even JAL are offering.
Yep I think basically theyve splurged with with the J champagne at the expense of F (presumably easier to bulk buy and share across F/J).

J is more important to QR than F

As has been the case the past 1-2 years one bottle will be shared with F (usually a not so expensive F quality vintage champagne), for a brief period it was Bollinger Rose vintage 2006, then CH Rose Millesime 2005, and now the LP Alexandra Rose 2006/2007.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:29 pm

FWIW, I really liked the Alexandra but I really booked it b/c of the old lavishness I guess. Krug would have been nice. I also read that JAL is removing Cristal/Salon so by the time we fly next year it could be that QR/JAL F and J food/drink offering will be exactly the same. Since I'm paying in points I don't really care that much, but if I paid cash I'd have been upset.
Old May 25, 2023, 9:05 pm

Just in the name of science, I looked at winesearcher for the average critics ratings for the various champagnes on board recently, along with the approx lowest retail price quoted (in France - except the rose) per bottle:

Piper-Heidsieck Rare Brut Millesime 2006 - 93/100 (EUR 168)
Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires 2007 - 94/100 (EUR 165)
Laurent-Perrier Alexandra Rose 2006 - 94/100 (EUR 317)
Krug Grand Cuvee Brut NV - 94/100 (EUR 312)
Krug Vintage Brut 2004 - 95/100 (EUR 472)

So there's clearly a price differential between the Krugs and Heidsiecks but the pro critics mark them all fairly closely. Your palate may vary of course, particularly at 38,000 feet

* La Grand Dame 2006, formerly of the parish of Al Safwa, scores 94/100 (EUR 145)
Old May 25, 2023, 11:08 pm

Thanks! This is awesome. I guess we should be grateful for this bubbly in Qsuite It is delicious indeed. I just never had Krug The best I did was Dom.
aphro likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.