Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Entry to Qatar - New Insurance Requirements

Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
It might not be updated yet. I received the attached trade update from QR yesterday.
That's good news!

It's probably worth requoting the detail here:

"Effective immediately, all visitors to the State of Qatar will be exempt from the
requirement of purchasing mandatory Health Insurance if their stay in the
country is less than 30 days"
skipaway and plunet like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
No issues this afternoon for my arrival. Not a question asked, even on my duration (it was only 24hrs anyway). Mind you, as others have commented, the officer had both headphones in and on a call.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by surryson
No issues this afternoon for my arrival. Not a question asked, even on my duration (it was only 24hrs anyway). Mind you, as others have commented, the officer had both headphones in and on a call.
I generously assumed the low-volume chatter involved discussions about me, my immigration status, or other weighty matters. But last week my henna-handed agent was quite animated in discussing things far more important than that

Thinking about it, Doha's the only place where I routinely see agents engaged in calls while they deal with passengers. But that could be my low levels of observation. I've no real complaint, they deal with me efficiently, but it's not the best introduction to a nation's officialdom.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KingCanute
I also spotted that on the Visit Qatar website a couple of days ago. But before anyone gets too excited, the MOPH website still says this today:

Now that may be a delay in updating their info, or an error at Visit Qatar. We shall see...

It's not exactly unusual for there to be confusion and conflict in the promulgation and interpretation of policies introduced by the airline or, indeed, by government bodies ....

The thirty day rule is a sensible refinement of the original badly thought out regulation. The policy was clearly aimed at longer stay visitors, most will be family or friends of resident workers, and some might be intent on a form of medical tourism.

There are all sorts of reasons the government does not wish to be explicit in targeting this cohort of visitors; but the tourism sector was upset that short-term independent tourists were getting caught up in the net. Lord knows, post world-cup they have plenty of hotel rooms and excursion places to fill, and discouraging bread-and-butter short-term visitors was the last thing they needed.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
A sensible move, although I suppose not before plenty of people have purchased a policy unnecessarily.
Including us it would seem! P2 likes to buy these things early "to be safe" - went through via Al Mourjan yesterday and we weren't asked about it at all...
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by icelandman2
Including us it would seem! P2 likes to buy these things early "to be safe" - went through via Al Mourjan yesterday and we weren't asked about it at all...
Also passed through AM on March 9th and was not asked for it.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:42 pm

Looks like the health insurance policy isn't needed for stays under 30 days? Anyone have a different experience otherwise?
Old May 28, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Looks like the health insurance policy isn't needed for stays under 30 days? Anyone have a different experience otherwise?
Correct, the policy was ammended a few weeks after it was introduced.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Entered via AM over the weekend without insurance. Not an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.