Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - Extra bags included, but ended up paying extra at airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me, or maybe knows someone who replies to emails at Qatar airways.
I booked flights Dubai to LGW (going via Doha) last week. My flights included 2 bags each. There were 3 of us, so 6 bags in total.

A few days before the flight I received an email upgrade offer - upgrade to the next class, and receive one additional bag per person. I took screenshots of the offer. I also confirmed with Qatar online chat, that this would now include 3 bags per person. So I took up this offer, as I thought it was a good deal, especially bearing in mind I had 9 suitcases (we were moving countries)
We arrive at Dubai airport, and our Dubai to Doha flight had misteriously disappeared. The check in agent said our booking starts in Doha, and they were not willing to help us as we were at the wrong airport. Queue 2 hours on the phone to get our Dubai to Doha flight reinstated (which they tried to blame on me, by saying I had upgraded "at the wrong time"). After speaking to 6 people at Qatar airways, they managed to reinstate us
We go and check in again, to which we are told we are only allowed 2 bags each, and if we didn't pay the extra 5,000 AED, we could not get on the flight. I showed all the back up to the supervisors, who said that "she didn't care, and if we don't pay, we don't get on". So I had to pay
I have sent countless emails to Qatar since, who replied once, and saidAllow us to share that "The online upgrade offer does not include access to premium lounges or additional baggage allowance unless otherwise specified in the offer". This policy was clearly stated or presented on the "Upgrade Offer", and by clicking "Purchase" you have confirmed to have read and accepted the Upgrade offer's terms and conditions.

We regret that we will be unable to consider your refund request favorably.

I keep replyng that our offer included the extra bags, and sending the proof, which they have ignored so far.
Any ideas?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Begin a chargeback claim through your credit card with the collected evidence.

Edited to add: assuming said evidence is justified.
AsiaTraveler likes this.

Last edited by Schwann; Jan 27, 2023 at 11:45 pm
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Does DXB-LON follow the piece concept? I thought only Africa and the Americas go by piece. Unless of course, this was part of a larger itinerary.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I believe that DXB-LGW would allow 25 to 35kg in Y depending on your fare bucket and 40kg in Business.
The piece concept only applies to/from Africa/Americas. Even then, Y to J does not entails you to an additional piece, simply that the piece can be 32kg instead of 23kg.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-ae/b...d=ALL36053700?

You might have received a generic upgrade offer that entails you to the J bag allowance, but that allowance depends on your routing (weight or piece concept).
It could be that the call agent gave you wrong information.
It would help if you posted a screenshot of your upgrade offer.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Begin a chargeback claim through your credit card with the collected evidence.
Thank you, I did wonder if this was a possible chargeback
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
"Additional 10 kg or 1 piece, depending on your route".

Are you certain your route qualified for an extra bag each, and not just an additional 10 kg?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That message simply says that you are entitled to an additional 10kg if on a weight concept, which applies to your route.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:49 am

Weight concept usually has no limit on the number of bags as long as they are within the weight limit.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:59 am

Was the upgrade offer defunitely for the entire route - ie. both DXB-DOH and DOH-LON?

(incidentally, DXB-DOH would also have been a double upgrade from Y to F as they do not operate J on that route)

You would need written proof of what you paid for to attempt a chargeback. In this case proof of your original allowance and confirmation of payment for the upgrade that also shows the extra allowance on both sectors.

As others have said, the weight rather than an extra bag may be applicable on both of these sectors regardless, unless you also had some oneworld status that entitled you to an extra bag.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by KingCanute
Was the upgrade offer defunitely for the entire route - ie. both DXB-DOH and DOH-LON?

(incidentally, DXB-DOH would also have been a double upgrade from Y to F as they do not operate J on that route)

You would need written proof of what you paid for to attempt a chargeback. In this case proof of your original allowance and confirmation of payment for the upgrade that also shows the extra allowance on both sectors.

As others have said, the weight rather than an extra bag may be applicable on both of these sectors regardless, unless you also had some oneworld status that entitled you to an extra bag.
OneWorld Emerald status for non-African routes in this case also gets you extra kg rather than extra bags.
brunos likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
OneWorld Emerald status for non-African routes in this case also gets you extra kg rather than extra bags.
Ah yes. I was distracted by BA's policy for OWE's. Not relevant here of course.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
mtm103 what was the baggage allowance stated on your original e-ticket?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing a dummy booking for DXB-LGW it is clear that the weight concept applies. You get between 25kg (classic) and 35kg (comfort) and 1 piece of hand luggage of 7kg.

I assume that the OP now checked his e-ticket and found the bag allowance under the class column. Add 10kg and you find the maximum weight allowed per pax. The number of suitcases is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.