FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   8+ hour layover in Doha - Business Class - Free transit hotel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2109253-8-hour-layover-doha-business-class-free-transit-hotel.html)

boonkoh Jan 24, 2023 1:15 pm

8+ hour layover in Doha - Business Class - Free transit hotel?

I read on a review that Qatar Airways does free transit hotels for those on DOH layovers longer than 8 hours? Mine is 8 hours 20 minutes. It is on Qatar metal all the way, but it is a Business ticket sold by American Airlines (and the ticket is for the AA codeshare flight number).

Anyone know where I can find more information? I did a Google search, but could only find out info about the stopover and the free transit visa. But what I'm looking for is just to sleep in the airport hotel if possible, rather than in the lounge beds.

plunet Jan 24, 2023 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh (Post 34953861)
I read on a review that Qatar Airways does free transit hotels for those on DOH layovers longer than 8 hours? Mine is 8 hours 20 minutes. It is on Qatar metal all the way, but it is a Business ticket sold by American Airlines (and the ticket is for the AA codeshare flight number).

Anyone know where I can find more information? I did a Google search, but could only find out info about the stopover and the free transit visa. But what I'm looking for is just to sleep in the airport hotel if possible, rather than in the lounge beds.

Unfortunately you're going to be disappointed....

The STPC service (free transit hotel for transit >8hrs) or even +Qatar (cheap stopover hotel) programs have not been restarted post pandemic.

Additionally in your case I think both programs were limited to Qatar issued tickets, but it's all a bit academic now.

To be honest, getting out of the airport to the Oryx hotel and back again in time for your onward flight was always very tight... It was always a better experience with 10 or 12 hours as a minimum. At 8 hours the airside transit hotel is your best bet but (a) it's not cheap, and (b) often fully booked.

Earplug and eyeshades and setting your expectations if contemplating the lounge might be a fair compromise.

boonkoh Jan 24, 2023 2:00 pm

Sigh, looks like the napping in the Al Mourjan it is!

Good thing my flight times to BOS means I don't need to sleep in the lounge, I can sleep on the plane. But would like at least 2-3 hours nap.
And also because I'm arriving at midnight in Doha, it should be fairly quiet in the lounge and I should have my pick of napping spaces!

plunet Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh (Post 34953996)

Good thing my flight times to BOS means I don't need to sleep in the lounge, I can sleep on the plane. But would like at least 2-3 hours nap.
And also because I'm arriving at midnight in Doha, it should be fairly quiet in the lounge and I should have my pick of napping spaces!

​​​​​​
Peak lounge hours are 2300-0230 and 0500-0800.

Schwann Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh (Post 34953996)

Arriving at that time of night it'll be packed and you'll probably struggle for somewhere reasonable until about 3am when the peak is over.

PDAuckland Jan 22, 2024 12:05 am

Qatar Airlines

Originally Posted by boonkoh (Post 34953861)

hi they, we saw in the Qatar Website before making a booking that if you had a layover longer than 8 hours in transit and couldn’t get an earlier flight to your next destination that you could request a complimentary hotel room. Not the case. When we applied for a two rooms for four adults and two children travelling together with a 10 hour layover, after booking our flights, we were told our economy fares didn’t qualify and we would have to pay for the rooms. Bit misleading. They should say that on their website particularly given the majority of passengers on the plane have economy seats. It should say clearly for premium business and first class passengers only. Bit of a con.

KingCanute Jan 22, 2024 12:52 am

Originally Posted by PDAuckland (Post 35930651)
,we were told our economy fares didn’t qualify and we would have to pay for the rooms. Bit misleading. They should say that on their website particularly given the majority of passengers on the plane have economy seats. It should say clearly for premium business and first class passengers only. Bit of a con.

It's not only for Business and First, economy are eligible too if they are not the ultra cheapest fare buckets. Full info is clearly detailed on the website:

https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...cies/STPC.html

Also on the website are the details for the alternative very heavily subsidised hotels for those with long transfers:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/o...-stopover.html

https://www.discoverqatar.qa/stopover/

It's not really a con if it's all there in black and white ;)

PDAuckland Jan 22, 2024 4:34 am

I disagree KingCanute…and I have already read the website items you have linked. I still believe it is very misleading.

KingCanute Jan 22, 2024 4:49 am

Originally Posted by PDAuckland (Post 35931031)
I disagree KingCanute…and I have already read the website items you have linked. I still believe it is very misleading.

The very first set of criteria listed are that N class tickets and above costing USD 400 each way qualify, and that there are only 4 economy ticket fare buckets that never qualify for free STPC (out of 14 economy fare buckets in total), and those are O, Q, T and W.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...90b68e692f.jpg

I'm sorry if you feel they should be more generous but the terms are very clear, and it is certainly not restricted to premium cabin ticket holders. If after reading those two paragraphs your ticket doesn't qualify there's no need to read the rest.

There's always a trade off with buying a cheap ticket - less flexibility, higher penalties, baggage or lounge restrictions, etc. And if purchasing a O, Q, T or W fare you can add no free hotel to that list.

Booking a hotel separately is almost always cheaper for multiple travellers than paid STPC too.

mikeyfly Jan 22, 2024 2:56 pm

boonkoh unfortunately the lounge / airport in general is often a zoo around midnight. Nap places will be scarce and showers will be busy… at least you’ll have the time if you want to queue and refresh

PDAuckland Jan 22, 2024 4:08 pm

I appreciate your comments KingCanute and explanation. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.
However, and this is just my opinion, if someone if not an experienced long distance traveller, booking flights on line for a family of six travelling together, there was nothing on screen when going through the booking process that listed the alphabetic categories you mention above, and it was only post booking when receiving the itinerary that alphabet category was noticed.
As with all things we are now wiser after the event, but I dont doubt we will not be the last family to make such a hiccup and have a 10 hour layover before their next flight. Hey ho, I am sure we will cope but personally, I just think it should be a little more transparent on the website.
Many thanks though.

PDAuckland Jan 22, 2024 4:08 pm

Noted mikefly, thank you for the heads up, very much appreciated.

scottishpoet Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDAuckland (Post 35933053)
.... there was nothing on screen when going through the booking process that listed the alphabetic categories you mention above, and it was only post booking when receiving the itinerary that alphabet category was noticed.

With many of these types of things it is all in the detail

Before you pay, the info is in the Trip Summary, you can see 'Economy L' on this example which i have searched, filled in the passenger details, but not yet paid.

as has been mentioned, expect the lounges to be busy from around 23:30 until about 01:00 as people leave for the 2am batch of departures.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c00fa8a463.jpg

PDAuckland Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm

Noted scottishpoet, thank you for letting me know, very much appreciated.

KingCanute Jan 22, 2024 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by PDAuckland (Post 35933155)
Noted scottishpoet, thank you for letting me know, very much appreciated.

Depending on your travel dates, you can probably book a 3 star hotel equivalent to what STPC provides for around USD 100. So c.US$30 each if you are 3 in a room. Much cheaper than paying for STPC or lounge entry, or buying a more expensive ticket. I'd be inclined to book something like that and spend the rest of your time looking forward to your trip :)