Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar and Europe/Scandinavia - Withdraw :-(

Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:37 am
Original Poster

So this is sad news. I started flying with Qatar in 2017 and have managed during the pandemic and all to get Platinum. It's been an investment but kind'a backfires on me. Why?
Before the pandemic Qatar had 3 outbound flights from Sweden (I think it was the same for Denmark and Norway) most days. This was excellent as they had a 21.00 flight if you wanted more time in DOH, an early flight and a mid-day flight.
Most flights where either A350-900 or A350-1000 where you had QSuite with plenty of space.

Now Qatar have a lawsuit with Airbus and looks like thet have to make adjustments to their network. So Finnair now will fly most of their routes from Scandinavia.
This means that there won't be that many flights for 2023 (Perhaps one or two) and that, in the case of Finnair it will be their new Business class suite on their A350.. I'm NOT a big fan of their fixed seats. Finnair is the only (as I know of) Airline that no longer offers adjustable flat seats. Finnair believe you should either sit up straight or sleep. Binary...

Also if you are fly with Finnair (Code sharing) you will not get access to Al Safwa (even if you're in BC and are a Platinum member)

Qatar seems to be abandoning some parts of Europe for 2023 and my bet on Qatar was perhaps one of the biggest misstakes.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was kind of curious about the Finnair planes lined up at the remote stand in DOH where our inbound aircraft parked yesterday. There were 3 what i believe to be Finnair A330s parked out there. Are those just in storage due to Finnair route disruptions due to Russia airspace closure? Or is QR using/going to use those aircraft too? Clearly Finnair is making all kinds of deals with OW partners to try to keep planes in the air.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
I was kind of curious about the Finnair planes lined up at the remote stand in DOH where our inbound aircraft parked yesterday. There were 3 what i believe to be Finnair A330s parked out there. Are those just in storage due to Finnair route disruptions due to Russia airspace closure? Or is QR using/going to use those aircraft too? Clearly Finnair is making all kinds of deals with OW partners to try to keep planes in the air.
AY operates HEL-DOH, CPH-DOH and ARN-DOH. They are not QR operated.

And to the OP, the cushions on the seat are what you use to adjust your "recline."
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
'Also if you are fly with Finnair (Code sharing) you will not get access to Al Safwa (even if you're in BC and are a Platinum member)'.
If it is a code share flight and you book your ticket as a 157 (Qatar Airways ticket) you should still get access to AS. Plus, you earn the full compliment of Q-Points and Q-Miles (Avios).
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:44 pm

I was about to lose status anyway (QR Gold) and I was really not bothered, but this made me "couldn't care less" as flying out of CPH.
My prepandemic travel patterns where QR made sense has gone, maby for good and its for sure not a bad thing reading this! I'm concentrating on my *G and E+

I could live with the AY hard product, but what I can not live with is what seems to have become the QR DOH lounge admittance lottery. 4 lounges and a phone book of rules eg. booking class versus elite status, J Fare bucket, Wet lease, code share you name it.... And yes its more complicated then other airlines I fly!

Is it just me, that finds it to have become way to difficult to understand?
mpkz likes this.

Last edited by Stil; Jan 7, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Stil
I was about to lose status anyway (QR Gold) and I was really not bothered, but this made me "couldn't care less" as flying out of CPH.
My prepandemic travel patterns where QR made sense has gone, maby for good and its for sure not a bad thing reading this! I'm concentrating on my *G and E+

I could live with the AY hard product, but what I can not live with is what seems to have become the QR DOH lounge admittance lottery. 4 lounges and a phone book of rules eg. booking class versus elite status, J Fare bucket, Wet lease, code share you name it.... And yes its more complicated then other airlines I fly!

Is it just me, that finds it to have become way to difficult to understand?
I don't think it's that complicated to be honest.
1. If you fly OW Business class you have access to AM.
2. If you fly OW first class you have you have access to AS.
3. If you are QR Platinum and fly on a QR flight number, including codeshare you have access to AS.
4. If you buy a QR P class Business lite product you do not have lounge access.

There are some caveats but I think the 4 points above cover most scenarios.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
'Also if you are fly with Finnair (Code sharing) you will not get access to Al Safwa (even if you're in BC and are a Platinum member)'.
If it is a code share flight and you book your ticket as a 157 (Qatar Airways ticket) you should still get access to AS. Plus, you earn the full compliment of Q-Points and Q-Miles (Avios).
That is what I believed as well but I asked 3 times at the AS desk. I can understand if I book with Finnair directly (even if its code sharing) that I would not have access, but this was an regular revenue flight booked on QR.
As QR have replaced their own flights to Arlanda with Finnair it's even more unacceptable. Have to talk to QR but I doubt anything good will come of out any conversations with them.

I have never managed to have my QP/QM automatically for any code sharing flight with QR. In this flight I had three legs (HKT-BKK with Bangkok Air), BKK-DOH (QR) and DOH-ARN (AY) and only BKK-DOH QP/QM have been added. It's so frustrating.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephem
Finnair has added DOH as an destination, they have more than 10 daily flights from/to DOH from various cities in Europe.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
AY operates HEL-DOH, CPH-DOH and ARN-DOH. They are not QR operated.

And to the OP, the cushions on the seat are what you use to adjust your "recline."
Yes that worked ... not that well. I'm 186 cm...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by stephenjc
I don't think it's that complicated to be honest.
1. If you fly OW Business class you have access to AM.
2. If you fly OW first class you have you have access to AS.
3. If you are QR Platinum and fly on a QR flight number, including codeshare you have access to AS.
4. If you buy a QR P class Business lite product you do not have lounge access.

There are some caveats but I think the 4 points above cover most scenarios.
That's a good basic summary. There's a few extra lines to add for the status lounges, paid access to upgrade into AS, how cash and redemption upgrades impact access, and of course the changes to the lounges including the overdue north node and what they are called. QR could do well to just publish a summary table of all the permutations.

I do have some sympathy with the OP that unless you're keeping abreast of the detail, most average travellers who wonder what lounges they have access to, working out exact entitlement matrix is a bit opaque, especially as it always seems to be changing and you have no clue if the info you have found is up to date or not.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:26 am
Original Poster

The issue here was that I believe I did just that, and, based on point 3 I would have access, but did, obviously not gain access.
QR must be one of the few airline in the world that does not give their highest tier customers excellent lounge access.

In my example I had no access to lounges in Phuket, despite being a Platinum member. I used my Priority pass to get lounge access (And that lounge is not my favourite, and was out of any kind of alcohol)
In Bangkok I had access to the re-opened Qatar lounge (that I find excellent, but somewhat small)
And in Doha to all AM lounges - Mostly used the North lounge due to DOH of course let's all non QR flights departure far away from QR as possible

If this would have been star alliance flights I could use my Gold Status to get into any Star Alliance gold lounge, independent on what (participating) airline I would be flying on, I could even be flying in Economy and would have access to any Gold Lounge
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
This means that there won't be that many flights for 2023 (Perhaps one or two) and that, in the case of Finnair it will be their new Business class suite on their A350.. I'm NOT a big fan of their fixed seats. Finnair is the only (as I know of) Airline that no longer offers adjustable flat seats. Finnair believe you should either sit up straight or sleep. Binary...
I'm also 183cm and both I and my husband loved Finnair's seat on a flight that's a couple hours longer than DOH-ARN. Was worried one or both of us would hate it, but we thought it was one of the best seats out there. As someone mentioned in another thread on the AY forum, it doesn't have a space shuttle feel that most J seats have due to any lack of side-to-side adjustment. The seat also has a nice amount of side 'ottoman' space that other seats lack, really felt like I was comfortably lounging for 9 hours:

Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
That is what I believed as well but I asked 3 times at the AS desk. I can understand if I book with Finnair directly (even if its code sharing) that I would not have access, but this was an regular revenue flight booked on QR.
As QR have replaced their own flights to Arlanda with Finnair it's even more unacceptable. Have to talk to QR but I doubt anything good will come of out any conversations with them.

I have never managed to have my QP/QM automatically for any code sharing flight with QR. In this flight I had three legs (HKT-BKK with Bangkok Air), BKK-DOH (QR) and DOH-ARN (AY) and only BKK-DOH QP/QM have been added. It's so frustrating.
I get it. It is a pain in the butt at times. I flew MY KUL-DOH return in December, code share was ticketed 157 for QR and I had to manually contact QR for the points and miles...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
The only thing I didn't really like about the Finnair seat was the diagonal 'safety belt' (as they call it) over your chest and the crew's insistence that I wear it cutting into my neck instead of a slightly lower position around my shoulder.

Other than that I preferred the Finnair seat and layout over the QR 2-2-2 configuration that we had in the other direction.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I get it. It is a pain in the butt at times. I flew MY KUL-DOH return in December, code share was ticketed 157 for QR and I had to manually contact QR for the points and miles...
Yea, was flying the exact same route a few months back and had to contact QR customer service. Then, magically my QP/QM appeared after a just a day or two....
SullyofDoha likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.