Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar to buy/lease ex-Virgin Australia 777-300ERs

Qatar to buy/lease ex-Virgin Australia 777-300ERs

Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Posts: 839
Qatar to buy/lease ex-Virgin Australia 777-300ERs


My aircraft QR 962 DOH to Bali was 777 Q suite and is now showin* this on seat expert and on Qatar app. Does anybody know which aircraft this is

No 1K
PJSMITH0 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 240
Interesting, don't recognise this layout...When is your flight? I wonder if QR have leased any extra aircraft for the world cup.

Last edited by seantheman; Nov 26, 2022 at 11:47 am
seantheman is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:52 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Posts: 839
Flight is on the 11th Jan. It shows the the seat map on Qatar app. No 1K. Seat numbers dont match with leased Cathay aircraft
PJSMITH0 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 240
I've just checked my QR 962 on the 1st of Feb and exactly the same, hoping it's just a display/software glitch...no notifications of aircraft change so far.
seantheman is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 844
This is a leased in ex-Virgin Australia 77W to add to the variety :|
N1Rotate is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 240
Oh man, gutted. Saved up the miles to get 4 legs of qsuites (in theory, aware of last min changes)...I only booked 2 days ago!

Is this aircraft in service already? Is the hard product any good?
seantheman is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: YEG/KWI
Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, BAEC Bronze
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
This is a leased in ex-Virgin Australia 77W to add to the variety :|
QR is now leasing ex-VA 77W??!
qraec777 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Posts: 695
Im afraid this might be true, formerly Virgin Australia 77W VH-VPF (stored as VP-CKT) has been parked in DOH since last month. Last link confirms future operator as QR.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VPCKT
https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...tlelake/rm966o
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/aircraft/26347

Business class seats are 1-2-1 (see Here - https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/virgin-australia-777-business-class-review/)

There is also a PEY cabin in 2-4-2 + Y cabin in 3-3-3 config, plus the onboard business class bar!
AirbusA350 likes this.

Last edited by nomadabroad; Nov 27, 2022 at 4:42 am
nomadabroad is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 240
No chance of this switching back to Qsuites then, I imagine it will be permanently on DPS, much like the CX aircraft are permanently on ZRH and MLE....Boooo
nancypants likes this.
seantheman is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by seantheman
No chance of this switching back to Qsuites then, I imagine it will be permanently on DPS, much like the CX aircraft are permanently on ZRH and MLE....Boooo
the second daily DPS flight is still showing as QSuite for now, but again it was more like 10% chance of QSuite to begin with and 90% chance of the dreaded aircraft swap to 788, A359 or the old 2-2-2 77Ws (or even the ancient A333s which has been swapped to DPS couple of times lol).

The only Qsuite guaranteed route is 77W operated LHR routes, everything else is unpredictable. Dont ever book a flight just because at the point of booking it is showing QSuite unless its LHR

For Y pax this will be a big upgrade tho with the 3-3-3 config!
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
nomadabroad is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 10:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
the second daily DPS flight is still showing as QSuite for now, but again it was more like 10% chance of QSuite to begin with and 90% chance of the dreaded aircraft swap to 788, A359 or the old 2-2-2 77Ws (or even the ancient A333s which has been swapped to DPS couple of times lol).

The only Qsuite guaranteed route is 77W operated LHR routes, everything else is unpredictable. Don’t ever book a flight just because at the point of booking it is showing QSuite unless it’s LHR

For Y pax this will be a big upgrade tho with the 3-3-3 config!
Of course, I understand the aircraft roulette that exists at QR, I've actually been very lucky and never had a swap so far.

How do people play it though? For example I'm entitled to the free change of flight, and actually i'm happy to fly 3 days either side of my departure date. Obviously there's no point changing now, it makes sense to do it closer to date, but then there's the risk of availability going on other Qsuite flights.
seantheman is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:30 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Posts: 839
The plot thickens as on Qatar.com the 03.05 flight (mine BA 6362) was Qr962 but is now being sold at QR960 77W Qsuites and the 08.35 now as QR 962 operated by a 788 but on ITA matrix it’s the other way around. On ExpFlyer the seating for 960 is QS and for 962 the VA777. I’m at a loss as to what aircraft I’ll actually get.
PJSMITH0 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BRS
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5,020
Fortunately the best thing about QR is the onboard experience which is consistently very good despite the aircraft.
plunet and AirbusA350 like this.
Schwann is online now  
Old Nov 28, 2022, 2:50 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 5,847
Originally Posted by qraec777
QR is now leasing ex-VA 77W??!
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Im afraid this might be true, formerly Virgin Australia 77W VH-VPF (stored as VP-CKT) has been parked in DOH since last month. Last link confirms future operator as QR.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VPCKT
https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...tlelake/rm966o
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/aircraft/26347

Business class seats are 1-2-1 (see Here - https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...-class-review/)

There is also a PEY cabin in 2-4-2 + Y cabin in 3-3-3 config, plus the onboard business class bar!
That will be a massive upgrade to the old non-Q Suite 777 layout still lingering around:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qa..._777-200LR.php
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qa..._777-300ER.php
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qa...7-300ER_V2.php
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qa...7-300ER_V3.php

The bar would be nice too, I was disappointed I couldn't get an A380 flight on my upcoming trip to experience that.
oxfordjames and GalaxyChris like this.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK (EMA/LHR), NL (GRQ/AMS), SE Asia (TAC/BKK)
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Posts: 653
Qatar to buy/lease ex-Virgin Australia 777-300ERs?!

I'm flying on QR 962 on Jan 6th to Bali. Originally, this was scheduled as a 787. However, they recently switched the equipment to the 77W.
I originally thought this would be a Qatar 777, but upon looking at the seat map in Manage My Booking, I noticed it was 3-3-3. I was puzzled for a minute, but then recalled that Qatar were leasing some ex-Cathay 777s.
However, I couldn't match the seat configuration to any past or present CX configuration. So, I went and counted all the seats, to see if I could find a match: 37J, 24Y+, 278Y. Sure enough, it matches Virgin Australia 77Ws, which in 2019 they decided they'd get rid of. (Also interesting, Qatar announced additional cooperation with Virgin Australia back in September, so presumably not a coincidence...)
If you want to see what this configuration looks like, please see here: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Vi...7-300ER_V2.php

This is, for now, a big win for travelling in economy if we're lucky enough to get this aircraft. 3-3-3 in 777 economy is becoming a unicorn. Even better, 1/3 of the seats are either the Y+ or "Economy X" cabins, they latter of which has 34-39" pitch. This makes me very tempted to actually pay for at least the Economy X upgrade fee (which is only 23 each I think; Y+ seats are 98). That said, with these making up a third of the seats, there's probably a good chance of getting a free upgrade to one of these two sections at check-in...

EDIT: Just noticed there is a thread on this. Perhaps merge post please, but use my title? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...-aircraft.html

Last edited by InternationalLiving; Dec 4, 2022 at 3:17 pm Reason: Noticed duplicate thread
InternationalLiving is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.