Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Bought Economy(Q) Fare, No Upgrade Option in Manage Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Platinum Tier

I bought some economy tickets for family members and Im not seeing any options on the Qatar app or site in manage booking to try and upgrade them (using cash). The flight is in 2 days and usually they send an email out to upgrade by now. Is Qatar not doing paid upgrades anymore? Highly doubt it... Do I have to call them or get the upgrade at checkin for them?

Thanks!
f.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Business is probably sold out, buying economy does not automatically guarantee an upgrade
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC
With the world cup underway, these are not normal times for Qatar
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
It very much depends on the route. Demand for J ex-US is ridiculously high right now (hence the stories about people with awards tix being booted out of J)

The OP seems to assume that cash upgrades are guaranteed; that is NOT the case. Calling to demand for something that you are not entitled to is unlikely to help. You can always upgrade if there are seats and meals available, but you have to pay to change your ticket and pay for the difference. It almost always ends up more expensive than having booked J in the first place.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers. Definitely understand that upgrade offers are not guaranteed. I always fly J in QR at least 4 times a year when me and my wife travel but I bought these tix for my sisters to visit us here in the US. this route btw is IAD - DOH - KHI.

Just fyi on how full J cabins are in this route: my wife and I just traveled IAD - DOH - JNB in qsuites when we went to Botswana on Nov 11 and the iad - doh cabin was only about 75% full. Definately space available for any upgrades if someone wanted from economy.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:23 pm

I think that an underlying assumption here is that if there are seats available in J, then everyone in Y receives an upgrade offer. We don't know that to be the case. We do know that some airlines have some logic (and algorithms) in place limiting these offers. You may deliberately be excluded from the offers, although it is your sisters travelling, not you.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by friskygeek
Thanks all for your answers. Definitely understand that upgrade offers are not guaranteed. I always fly J in QR at least 4 times a year when me and my wife travel but I bought these tix for my sisters to visit us here in the US. this route btw is IAD - DOH - KHI.

Just fyi on how full J cabins are in this route: my wife and I just traveled IAD - DOH - JNB in qsuites when we went to Botswana on Nov 11 and the iad - doh cabin was only about 75% full. Definately space available for any upgrades if someone wanted from economy.
It could just be revenue protection... QR wants people buying J at the original point of purchase and not holding off with economy tickets hoping to get a cheaper upgrade.
DiamondMile and friskygeek like this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
QR have always been very very strong on revenue protection and with a lot to recover over the last couple of years that is not going to change. Selfishly I prefer a cabin that is only 75% full as the crew have more time to pamper me haha

I recall in the past that people thought that the BA equivalent-POUG - was selective in its offers to individuals and would identify if relied upon for cheaper premium travel.

I wonder if we will ever return to pre covid hotel and flight prices, maybe not, my hotel of choice in London used to be around Ł400 a night now rarely less than Ł550. Similarity my frequent QR flight used to be Ł2800 and now Ł3500 if I am lucky or Ł4K if not.

definitely a first world problem but …
friskygeek likes this.

Last edited by IThink; Nov 28, 2022 at 9:09 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:01 am

Qatar only sends out those offers if there is a possibility that they won't sell out the cabin at full cost. With the world cup happening and how absurdly expensive things are in Doha at the moment I'd bet qatar expects many of them being willing to pay full price for business class
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pstation
Qatar only sends out those offers if there is a possibility that they won't sell out the cabin at full cost. With the world cup happening and how absurdly expensive things are in Doha at the moment I'd bet qatar expects many of them being willing to pay full price for business class
I agree! I suspect this is likely the case.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:43 pm

USA still has games ahead; that might contribute to demand for travel to Doha.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Just want to update this thread. The flight was last night and I asked at the counter if any paid upgrade were available and why an email was not sent out. They mentioned that they are not offering any on certain routes these days and this was one of them... First Ive ever heard that from the agent. In any case, he said the flight was full and thats why no check-in upgrades were available anyway.

f.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:54 pm

Oh, interesting if true.
I take that with a grain of salt... I've heard plenty of false information from agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.