Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Requalification Strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Question Platinum Requalification Strategy?

Hi Everyone, I am starting this thread to see how fellow Platinum members are planning to requalify (or not) for Platinum this year.

I've been Platinum for 5 years now. This was easily achieved in the past through multiple round trip flights from Europe to Japan and Hong Kong.
Sadly, entry restrictions are still in place and the recent airport chaos in European airports made it even more difficult to travel smoothly

Let's not forget that return flights in business seem to be priced at the same level as pre-pandemic first class tickets. Add to this, the reluctance of Qatar Airways to launch any decent promo for quite a long time . I guess lots of people are in the same situation. Losing Emerald status would be a real disappointment as more destinations are relaxing their entry requirements.
  • Are you planning to requalify for Platinum?
  • If that is the case, how are you planning to achieve the Qpoints requirements for the next 5 months?
  • If not are you considering another Oneworld Frequent Flyer programme?
Perhaps Qatar will launch a 3xQpoints promo as I don't see them extending status like Qantas did a few days ago
Loungeabout likes this.

Last edited by Fromager; Aug 22, 2022 at 4:29 am
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: QR Plat
I've been platinum for a long time, can't remember how long. There is exactly null chance I will get anywhere close to even silver lever requalification this year.

In summary:
- I fly less than before, current J/F pricing means I'm less keen to travel, the value is really not there.
- BKK used to be my destination that got the most travel pre-covid and for now that seems to be the hottest route for aircraft swaps and old seats, so that won't get me on QR flights.
- More of my flights are on other airlines than QR.

I'm happy to let my platinum status lapse, there are no good reasons for me to try to retain it.

-A
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:00 am

Is there a soft landing with QR? As in, if you are Platinum, but don't meet the requalification, do you fall to Gold, or do you still need to meet the gold requirements?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fromager
Hi Everyone, I am starting this thread to see how fellow Platinum members are planning to requalify (or not) for Platinum this year.

I've been Platinum for 5 years now. This was easily achieved in the past through multiple round trip flights from Europe to Japan and Hong Kong.
Sadly, entry restrictions are still in place and the recent airport chaos in European airports made it even more difficult to travel smoothly

Let's not forget that return flights in business seem to be priced at the same level as pre-pandemic first class tickets. Add to this, the reluctance of Qatar Airways to launch any decent promo for quite a long time . I guess lots of people are in the same situation. Losing Emerald status would be a real disappointment as more destinations are relaxing their entry requirements.
  • Are you planning to requalify for Platinum?
  • If that is the case, how are you planning to achieve the Qpoints requirements for the next 5 months?
  • If not are you considering another Oneworld Frequent Flyer programme?
Perhaps Qatar will launch a 3xQpoints promo as I don't see them extending status like Qantas did a few days ago
It's going to be a pretty close shave for me.

After a flurry of travel from March to June, I am now "bound to the soil" - I can't reasonably get out of town, because I have events every Monday and Friday that I can't miss, until mid-November. So the best I could do is make a short local hop somewhere, which doesn't really earn much. Then I have some out-of-town visitors coming right at the end of that period.

So I had been planning at least two trips in late November and December, although even that may not be enough. So I'm holding off on buying them, to see if there is a "double QPoints" promotion, as there have been in times of yore. Double QPoints would save me this year.

I also just put in a request for this cheap-arse Malaysia Airlines ticket in "Q" fare class. I received no credit, and maybe that is the correct amount, but this fare class is not listed in the calculator at the QR website. And in some other cases on other airlines, I see that fares that do not earn any credit are listed explicitly as earning zero - this one is just missing. So I put in for credit. Even if I get some, it will probably only be 10 or 20 QPoints, but I need every QPoint I can get this year.

FWIW, when I was (involuntarily) moved to American Airlines instead of QR on JFK->DOH, I felt like my OW emerald status got me precisely the same treatment I would have gotten if this were my first time flying. When I reached DOH, life got better.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I’ve only been a plat since 2019, and I’m also based in the US. I’ve only flown 4 QR segments this year, albeit in J. However, I’ve already been able to achieve the qpoints needed to requalify my plat and then some mostly flying AA and AS (along with a JL trip to Cgk from jfk). Qatar has recently drastically upped the amount of qpoints earned from AA travel. Ex. An Lga-Dfw-Mex r/t in R class (cheapest AA biz fare) now yields 80 qpoints, so a few of those trips to Mexico City absolutely helped. Further having a foreign OWS status when flying AA is a gamechanger with access to the flagship lounges/admirals clubs on even the shortest itineraries flying Y and having access to flagship first check in. What im not liking is that I’ve healthily crossed the 540 qpoints rubicon, yet my requalification is still not noted on my account and more importantly, the qcredits that one should earn upon requalification hasn’t been awarded. My hope is that this will all be taken cared of by Jan 1, 2023, but not having my earned qcredits now is a bummer and really not good for my 2023 travel planning.
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I'm seeing two different Q-Point numbers for requalifying Platinum. Is it 540 Q-Points or 560Q-Points?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jah718
Is there a soft landing with QR? As in, if you are Platinum, but don't meet the requalification, do you fall to Gold, or do you still need to meet the gold requirements?
Soft landing
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Similar position, been platinum for a few years but given the surge in fares with QR I have no interest in carrying on with them. Have flown other airlines which are pretty decent. I did do the following:

1. Status matched my platinum with Emirates Gold via statusmatcher.com (paid $99 for it)
2. Status matched with Oman air Gold - simple email to their CS

So overall, I am going to be flying based on lowest J fares and seeing what sticks..
lifeonthego_k and Loungeabout like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by salehir
2. Status matched with Oman air Gold - simple email to their CS
Out of curiosity, Oman Air status doesn't yet extend to oneworld partners, correct?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: QR:PLAT, AT:GOLD, LH:GOLD, AF: C2000, EK:PLAT; LH:P+P, AF:QBIZ, QR:QMICE.
Lost Hope

I've been Platinum with QR since day 1 when they've joined OW, and was flying with them on every weird way, and despite numerous emails, my conclusion is that QR is now looking for cash customers rather than loyal customers.
There's now way for most of loyal customers to renew their tiers, either because of restrictions or because of the prohobitive fares they're using, and hosting the world cup 2022 won't help loyal customers.
QR will regret it in 2 years, after loosing most of its loyal customers because of their behavior. If I was QR, I'd rather have specific discounts for Platinum and Gold customers in order to keep them, the world cup and its economy passengers will last for few months and then QR will be flying empty aircrafts.
Even award seats are restricted and one cannot spend any AVIOS.
QR's payback to loyal customers is a total scam and it's their call to adopt serious strategy to keep loyal customers instead of chasing instant benefit and loosing long term business. They don't learn from past expreiences with other airlines unfortunatly.
moeser likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:28 pm

Where I am now, travel restrictions earlier this year plus the world cup period effectively only give me a 5-6 months travel period this year. So I won't requalify and am burning points for travel this year and saving my cash for next.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Out of curiosity, Oman Air status doesn't yet extend to oneworld partners, correct?
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.