Preferred Seats on Qatar Economy

Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:12 am
ecf
Original Poster

Preferred Seats on Qatar Economy

Hello! Sorry if this post is out of place - I know this forum is mainly focused on J seats, but I’m hoping to get some insight into what my best choice of seats would be in economy.

I’m flying Australia - UK return over Christmas with Qatar, and it will be the first time I’ve done this route in economy (thanks to my student budget!). I do get preferred seat selection with my fare class on the outbound leg, and am wondering whether to go for an exit row, or 17 C/H on the A350-900, which I understand has no seat in front of it. According to expert flyer, 17 B & J are blocked but I’m not sure if these would end up filled. My alternative at the moment is an aisle exit seat, but I can’t get an idea of the space provided by a exit row compared to the bulkhead on an A350-900.

Also, just to be sure, does anyone know the official policy of Qatar offering preferred seating to lowly OW Ruby (BA exec bronze) members? The equivalent in privilege club is silver which offered preferred seating, but I’m unable to select this for my return flights.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:40 am

QPC Silver or oneworld Ruby gets you 20% off seat selection fees.

With QR, there is no point planning seat selection too early on, given that equipment swaps can happen at the last minute and you will be automatically re-assigned to another seat that the system preceives as equivalent.

I recall it wasn't possible to swap seats after the re-assignment without paying (but I may be wrong), but even Gold members like me will keep checking our bookings from a few days ahead up to 23 hours before the flight to monitor for aircraft swaps and to make our final complimentary seat moves then.

So.... don't expect too much from QR in this aspect.

Btw, seat selection after check-in is still subjected to fees, but you might be wiser to pay for seat selection as a Silver closer to the flight date or at online check-in.

If you want complimentary seat selection as a Silver, your best option is to get the check-in agent to change your seats.

Last edited by tamag0; Jul 29, 2022 at 12:44 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tamag0

With QR, there is no point planning seat selection too early on, given that equipment swaps can happen at the last minute and you will be automatically re-assigned to another seat that the system preceives as equivalent.

I recall it wasn't possible to swap seats after the re-assignment without paying (but I may be wrong), but even Gold members like me will keep checking our bookings from a few days ahead up to 23 hours before the flight to monitor for aircraft swaps and to make our final complimentary moves then.

Btw, seat selection after check-in is still subjected to fees, but you might be wiser to pay for seat selection as a Silver closer to the flight date or at online check-in.

If you want complimentary seat selection as a Silver, your best option is to get the check-in agent to change your seats.
Seat selection for Silver/Ruby or anyone else is complimentary at check in.
It is correct that if you pay for a seat in advance and there is a re-assignment due to an equipment swap you might not be able to select a new seat yourself. In which case use twitter or call QR and they will assign you the seat you want since you have already paid for it.
On four flights while Silver I found that I was able to select seats free of charge 96 or 72 hours (can't recall which) before the actual flight time (not a published benefit). This was not applicable for preferred seats which continued to be paid options.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by saveri
It is correct that if you pay for a seat in advance and there is a re-assignment due to an equipment swap you might not be able to select a new seat yourself. In which case use twitter or call QR and they will assign you the seat you want since you have already paid for it.
On four flights while Silver I found that I was able to select seats free of charge 96 or 72 hours (can't recall which) before the actual flight time (not a published benefit). This was not applicable for preferred seats which continued to be paid options.
Interesting info on the Twitter part, I might try it the next time. As a Gold member, I had a booking of myself and my partner sitting on a 2-abreast first row in Y, and we paid for upfront seats for our relative for one of our flights to sit right behind us. Unfortunately, she was bumped down 4 rows though she’s still in the upfront zone when the aircraft was swapped.

As she had no status, we got the check-in agent at the airport to bump her up to sit with us, and we were lucky no one was assigned to the last of the 3-abreast front row.

Good that you mentioned about the unpublished benefit with Silver, as I would assume benefits carry through all the way to online check-in, since it seemed the case with either Gold or Burgundy. However, when my Burgundy relative then took another flight on her own, choosing any seat other than her system-assigned seat at online check-in phase attracted a fee, so we just let it be.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:13 pm
ecf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tamag0

I recall it wasn't possible to swap seats after the re-assignment without paying (but I may be wrong), but even Gold members like me will keep checking our bookings from a few days ahead up to 23 hours before the flight to monitor for aircraft swaps and to make our final complimentary moves then.

Thanks, that makes sense! I’ll hold off until closer to the time and then make a call then - I normally wouldn’t be too fussed but the 14 hour flight between Aus and Doha in a cramped seat as a taller than average person is making be a bit nervous!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:15 pm
ecf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saveri
Thanks! I have seats selected, just not ‘preferred’ ones for my return flight - will just keep an eye out a few days before my flights and probably ask at check in too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.