Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting through DOHA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Transiting through DOHA

Hi

We will be travelling to Bulgaria in Sep from Singapore. Can i check if is it ok to book a room in the airport hotel to save on the air tickets? We can save about USD800 for 4 pax (2 Adults and 2 kids 7 years and 8 years). And 1 night airport hotel about USD250. Does it make sense to purchase the cheaper air tickets? If yes this is doable right?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Do you save 800 per ticket or overall?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by robin80
Hi

We will be travelling to Bulgaria in Sep from Singapore. Can i check if is it ok to book a room in the airport hotel to save on the air tickets? We can save about USD800 for 4 pax (2 Adults and 2 kids 7 years and 8 years). And 1 night airport hotel about USD250. Does it make sense to purchase the cheaper air tickets? If yes this is doable right?

Thanks.
You can certainly book a trip with a longer layover and it might save you money. But you are not specific enough with your question...

It would be useful to know whether it is the airside hotel attached to the terminal, or a landside airport hotel like the Oryx you are considering. Are you asking about the facilities the hotel has, maybe with kids in mind? The airside hotel is rarely cheap, they usually charge by blocks of hours, and prices will only go up and availability is often limited. Obviously if you want to go landside then you need to navigate any immigration and health requirements and that would require more info on nationality, vaccination, maybe visas, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
You can certainly book a trip with a longer layover and it might save you money. But you are not specific enough with your question...

It would be useful to know whether it is the airside hotel attached to the terminal, or a landside airport hotel like the Oryx. The airside hotel is rarely cheap, they usually charge by blocks of hours, and prices will only go up and availability is often limited. Obviously if you want to go landside then you need to navigate any immigration and health requirements and that would require more info on nationality, vaccination, maybe visas, etc.
hihi

My apologise. Yes we plan to book the Oryx hotel for a 12 hours layover. We are 2 adults and 2 young kids (7 & 8 years), just wondering if they allow us to book just 1 superior room? Because I input 2 more kids and the charges goes up a little more. Yes it is not cheap as compare to airside. But airside we have to go through immigration which is a little tricky. Moreover with current Covid situation, I reckon we need to produce a -ve pcr test when entering Qatar?

by the way, do you know if we stay at Oryx hotel, can we purchase our meals from the departure f&b shops?

thank you
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:35 am

Your 12-hour layover plan at the Orxy Hotel (without entering Qatar) will work out fine, as long as your stay and transit does not exceed 24 hours.

As I could see, additional charges of QR100 and QR200 are levied on the first and second child respectively.

You will have access to all the restaurants and shops in the departures concourses.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:46 am

I stayed at the Oryx Airport Hotel, inside the airport (air side--before passing immigration) twice in March. The minimum cost of a room was QAR 1090 or approximately $300. It clearly states that this room sleeps 2 person. Hourly rates were not on offer when I booked. A room that sleeps 4 is closer to $450. It is most certainly expensive and needs to be booked in advance as they sell out. The rooms are pleasant and despite having access to the lounges, am very glad we used the hotel. If going this route I would book the hotel prior to booking your airline ticket as they can be canceled till the day before. If no availability shows for the day you want, write to them. To answer your other question yes you have access to the restaurants inside the airport and duty free--the hotel is in the center of the airport.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Do you save 800 per ticket or overall?
overall save about USD850
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saveri
I stayed at the Oryx Airport Hotel, inside the airport (air side--before passing immigration) twice in March. The minimum cost of a room was QAR 1090 or approximately $300. It clearly states that this room sleeps 2 person. Hourly rates were not on offer when I booked. A room that sleeps 4 is closer to $450. It is most certainly expensive and needs to be booked in advance as they sell out. The rooms are pleasant and despite having access to the lounges, am very glad we used the hotel. If going this route I would book the hotel prior to booking your airline ticket as they can be canceled till the day before. If no availability shows for the day you want, write to them. To answer your other question yes you have access to the restaurants inside the airport and duty free--the hotel is in the center of the airport.

hi

yes the cheapest was QAR1090. Approx usd300

I chose this route as the savings is quite significant even I have to pay for a bigger room as you mention usd450. And my kids can rest after 8 hr flight from singapore. And freshen up for the next leg of another 5hrs.

yes I will need to book the hotel room first before I get my air tickets. But what do you mean by “If going this route I would book the hotel prior to booking your airline ticket as they can be canceled till the day before.” do you mean the hotel reservation can be cancelled even my reservation is confirm prior?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Oryx is not cheap and before any booking I'd make sure there's availability - It's been sold out every time I've checked for flights within a month recently.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by robin80
hi
But what do you mean by “If going this route I would book the hotel prior to booking your airline ticket as they can be canceled till the day before.” do you mean the hotel reservation can be cancelled even my reservation is confirm prior?
What I meant was that (if I remember correctly), the hotel room can be cancelled up to the day before arrival. So there is little risk in booking the room.
While I had no choice on the duration of the layover (I was on my way from the US to Kilimanjaro and back), I can see lots of upsides to taking the room if you are saving money, not in a rush, and want to arrive rested. Loved the rain shower. There is really nothing like having a shower, to make the rest of the journey better.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi

As I having a layover at Doha for 12 hrs, but I have book my room at Oryx, do I really need to change some Qatari currency? Or credit card payment are widely acceptable in the airport.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Credit cards and USD, GBP, EUR widely accepted
robin80 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Credit cards and USD, GBP, EUR widely accepted
okok. so i do not think i need to change some qatari $$.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.